Members Bios - please contribute yours

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
darkmoonman

Re: Members Bios - please contribute yours

Post by darkmoonman »

Hello. My name is Liam. I'm 62, an atheist, and a resident of Seattle. I've been a follower of Buddhism since I ran across its philosophy at age 15 in the translations by Max Müller (they were in fact the only sources available in the library of the tiny Southern town in which I grew up). My progress through formal Buddhism has gone from Zen to Mahayana to Theravada.

I've meditated in groups (shikantaza, vipassana) but find myself now being solitary due to lack of opportunity (the only Theravadin temple is a 90 minute drive each way).

I'm here to continue my education in Buddhism.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

I felt like a change and have changed my username here from "Spiny Norman" to "Dinsdale". :hello:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Dinsdale wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:52 am I felt like a change and have changed my username here from "Spiny Norman" to "Dinsdale". :hello:
Oh? Are you planning to nail someone's head to a coffee table?

:coffee:
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
Dhammavaro

Post by Dhammavaro »

Hi !

I am 37 years old. Born in Austria.
First experience with meditation around 16 years ago with a teacher from the Hindu tradition.
First contact with Buddhism in China (2004)
Around 2006 I went to Thailand for a 7 day retreat, but I stayed there for 112 days.
2007 I was able to practice in a Korean Sangha in Germany.
2008 I went to Thailand again. After a two month retreat I become a Monk.
After a year in Thailand I returned to the laylife.
2010 I made 5 retreats in Germany.
2012 I went to Nepal for a retreat ( Tibetan tradition)
2013 I made 3 retreats in Thailand ( Ajahn tong tradition)
2014 retreat in Germany and Thailand. Meditation and pilgrimage to India
2016 retreat in Thailand.
2017 retreat in Thailand , Austria , Germany.

For some years I was using the mantra Buddho, now I'm looking for a retreat in Myanmar.
I will do a retreat with students from sayadaw u pandita.

Metta and Mudita !
^^The Greatest Gift to Buddha, our Parents, our teacher..is to open the eye of dhamma^^
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Dhammanando wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:24 am
Dinsdale wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:52 am I felt like a change and have changed my username here from "Spiny Norman" to "Dinsdale". :hello:
Oh? Are you planning to nail someone's head to a coffee table?

:coffee:
Don't worry, Dinsdale has now fully reformed and joined the Quakers. His damascene conversion resulted from finally having met his nemesis, that possibly imaginary giant hedgehog. :tongue:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Rokai

Post by Rokai »

Greetings to all

My name is Alex, but the name I use while online is Rokai. I'm Scottish, but born in New Zealand. I've always been interested in Buddhism, but only really got on board in the last couple of years. It's been kinda hard for me, since I've essentially been doing it by myself. There are no other Buddhists in my city (that I know of), and the closest temple is a 6hr drive. I welcome the opportunity to chat with you about Buddhism, and hope to do so often.

Thank you 🙏
Ada

Post by Ada »

I am Ada from India . New to the concept of Buddha's teachings. It has been A great revelation for me . It is a life line for me . I 'll be grateful to thus site and all those people whom I learn from ,in this right path . May we all be blessed by Buddha Dhamma Sangha . :thanks:
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Ada wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:34 am I am Ada from India . New to the concept of Buddha's teachings. It has been A great revelation for me . It is a life line for me . I 'll be grateful to thus site and all those people whom I learn from ,in this right path . May we all be blessed by Buddha Dhamma Sangha . :thanks:
Greetings Ada, and welcome to Dhhamma Wheel! :hello: :anjali:
RachelUK90

Post by RachelUK90 »

Hello friends,

I'm from a very secular and atheist background where religion was actively discouraged and disliked. I was always interested in Buddhism as it was one big mystery to me (unlike the other 4 main religions which stirred nothing within me) but didn't do any research until 1.5yrs ago.

I started to research it when my fiancee began working in a Japanese Zen garden, and what I read truly opened my eyes! I have A LOT to learn on the subject (judging by the topics discussed here) and I'm hoping to find some online support for my practice and study :console: I live with my brother (very atheist) and fiancee (very skeptical), so Buddhism is not a comfortable topic of discussion with anyone (my recent posting in the introductory forum has opened some doors for me though which is very good).

I practice the 8-fold path everyday (at least my understanding of it) and I have made lasting changes to my behaviour, lifestyle and outlook that I believe have placed me on the right path. I believe whole-heartedly in the four noble truths and see the evidence of it's existence in almost everything I do. I have recently begun to practice Uposatha once a week although I only started last week and I failed miserably at it :( (that being said, it showed me how deep my cravings are hooked into me and I'm looking forward to improving this over time). I am still an atheist but I believe in the philosophies of the buddha and I believe I understand much of the Buddha's teachings although some of the terminology is lost on me. I hope that my understanding will improve with increased study of the dharma, time, patience and practice.

I am very glad to have found this forum

:namaste:

Rachel
cristian555

Post by cristian555 »

Hello, myself Cristian Murazik from the USA. am professional blogger and am excited to join this forum.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

tpburnham

Post by tpburnham »

34 yo, Brand new member to DW, and new to Buddhism as well (only a few weeks). I am married to a wonderful woman going on 12 years now, and have two sons and a daughter.

I'm serving as a judge advocate (attorney) in the U.S. Army, also going on 12 years.

My path to Buddhism dates back about 2 years now. I've been dealing with a variety of chronic pain issues, possibly due to infection (Lyme Disease) or another source--I've heard too many theories from doctors. The mental suffering has been much, much worse than the physical pain--clearly I was struck by the "second arrow," and it struck deep.

I am interested in learning more about the source of suffering and how to overcome it. In the meantime, there are other changes in my life worth exploring. I am looking for peace and completeness.
Buddham saranam gacchami.
Dhammam saranam gacchami.
Sangham saranam gacchami.
Bhikkhu Pannasiri

Post by Bhikkhu Pannasiri »

I am Bhikkhu Paññāsirī (Ven. Pannyasiri) born in Myanmar, May 05 1984. I became a novice ever since I was 12 years old and started learning Buddhism. In 2006, I took higher ordination under the preceptor of Ven. Bhaddanta Vannadhaja in Myanmar. In 2012, I passed the Pathamagyi level of Pathamapyan held by the Government of the Union of Myanmar. After accomplishing Pathamagyi level of Pathamapyan I conducted several lectures in a remote area of native from 2013 up to the end of 2015. In 2016, I arrived in Sri Lanka for further Buddhist education. I completed Diploma in Buddhist Studies from Postgraduate Institute of Pali and Buddhist Studies, University of Kelaniya. In 2017/02/17, I upgrade to Master of Art and has sat for final examination thus I have done my M.A degree at the end of 2018. Again, in 2018/01/01, I had enrolled for the Postgraduate Certificate Course in Pali. I now, continue to study and develop my Pali skills as well as knowledge on Buddhism in Sri Lanka.

With Mettā
Bhikkhu Pannasiri
ashavp

Post by ashavp »

Hello friends!

My name is Asha, from Kerala, India.

Buddhism was predominant in Kerala centuries ago, but not nowadays.
I am raised to be a Hindu. But circumstances led me here. It is really tough to follow 5 precepts here as we cook/eat non-vegetarian food daily and I work at a department store.
Friends and family won't go easy on me if I reveal that i am trying to learn Buddhism. I am a 34 year old married woman and has a daughter.
Thank you

Namo Buddhay
Lynnmnee

Post by Lynnmnee »

I am a midlife neophyte who doesn't dare to say I am a Buddhist. Although I aspire. I found this path in 2016 when my father was terminally ill.

I have a strong interest in the Pali Canon. If only I could pronounce the words 🤣.