Howdy! Budding Buddhist practice with new puppy

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
brettlaxin

Howdy! Budding Buddhist practice with new puppy

Post by brettlaxin » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:10 pm

Hi,

My name is Brett. I live in Portland, Or and have recently started practicing meditation regularly and attending dharma talks at my local temple. I read an old paperback, "What the Buddha Taught" a few years ago and I felt a sense of relief and understanding. Since then I have casually listened to dharma talks and meditated whenever it was convenient (very rarely). After a trip to the Breitenbush river in Oregon a couple of weeks ago I decided to make more of an effort to learn and integrate meditation into my daily routine.

And then I got a puppy. He is 8 weeks old and a total biting machine. My away-from-puppy time is very limited right now. We are on day 5 from the shelter, so even being out of his site triggers a yelp-fest. I found this site after googling, 'Buddhist practice with puppy', it didn't actually link any related threads, but it clicked in my head that for now an e-sangha may be my best bet.

So howdy again, and please send some metta and patience our way

Sam Vara

Re: Howdy! Budding Buddhist practice with new puppy

Post by Sam Vara » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:21 pm

Hello brettlaxin, and welcome to Dhamma Wheel! :hello:

I sympathise with the puppy-dukkha, but it does steadily get better. Our cockerpoo is now 9 months old, but it's still like sharing the house with a noisy shoe-eating clown. Training dogs gives me some insight into training the mind.

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:04 pm

:hello:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:17 pm

Greetings Brett,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

Good luck with the puppy.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:01 am

Welcome to DW!

Pondera

Post by Pondera » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:38 am

Maybe look for some Buddhist alternative training and/or teaching for your dog. Specialized teaching can be an amazing result. I have seen it in other dogs with amazing problems. It need not be Buddhist in order to work. Best of luck!

- Pondera
What is “rupa” Jhāna? Here are four simple meditations on earth, water, fire, and wind - leading to tranquility and pleasure, rapture and equanimity - peacehttps://drive.google.com/open?id=1sdgpi ... hIz3wgz7ep