Search found 16645 matches

by tiltbillings
Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:51 am
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: Interpenetrationality
Replies: 89
Views: 6956

Re: Interpenetrationality

they explicitly say the goal of Mahayana is not to get to Nirvana but to reincarnate forever because to them Nirvana is only like a hotel where you go rest a bit before reincarnating again. So since they explicitly state that their goal is to be stuck in samsara forever, none should object that I b...
by tiltbillings
Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:18 am
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: Interpenetrationality
Replies: 89
Views: 6956

Re: Interpenetrationality

if you understand the word "extinction" to mean "liberation from" done by seeing through to reality But that is not what extinction means, extinction, cessation is not anywhere near the same range of meaning as 'seeing through'. In the nibbana of the early texts, there is clearly no greed hatred an...
by tiltbillings
Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:34 pm
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: Interpenetrationality
Replies: 89
Views: 6956

Re: Interpenetrationality

they explicitly say the goal of Mahayana is not to get to Nirvana but to reincarnate forever because to them Nirvana is only like a hotel where you go rest a bit before reincarnating again. So since they explicitly state that their goal is to be stuck in samsara forever, none should object that I b...
by tiltbillings
Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:06 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: the great Nibbana = annihilation, eternal, or something else thread
Replies: 2132
Views: 74770

Re: Consciously experiencing the unconditioned and the twelve links? Thanissaro Version

"It's not good to misrepresent the Blessed One, for the Blessed One would not say, 'A monk with no more effluents, on the break-up of the body, is annihilated, perishes, & does not exist after death.'" Yamaka Sutta And, cap, what exactly is your point here? Are you addressing directly in this quote...
by tiltbillings
Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:24 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: the great Nibbana = annihilation, eternal, or something else thread
Replies: 2132
Views: 74770

Re: Consciously experiencing the unconditioned and the twelve links? Thanissaro Version

SarathW wrote:Nibbana is not the consciousness which has no footing.
Nibbana is where the consciousness has no footing.
Spot on.
by tiltbillings
Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:13 am
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: In the Pali Canon, is there anything that disagrees with the Mahyana teachings?
Replies: 56
Views: 2598

Re: In the Pali Canon, is there anything that disagrees with the Mahyana teachings?

If you were to display some logic grounded in actual facts/examples, that might be interesting, but so far it is pretty much just you expressing your disdain of the Mahayana. Not much to go on, but thank you for sharing your opinions; however, as for opinions, including my own, I'll stick with Seng...
by tiltbillings
Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:09 am
Forum: Modern Interpretations
Topic: Bhikkhu Anālayo’s e-learning course on the Nibbana sermons by Bhikkhu Katukurunde Ñāṇananda
Replies: 71
Views: 3681

Re: Bhikkhu Anālayo’s e-learning course on the Nibbana sermons by Bhikkhu Katukurunde Ñāṇananda

mikenz66 wrote: Definitely not! However, it's always possible to misread things...
I know. Just teasing; anyway thanks again.
by tiltbillings
Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:42 am
Forum: Modern Interpretations
Topic: Bhikkhu Anālayo’s e-learning course on the Nibbana sermons by Bhikkhu Katukurunde Ñāṇananda
Replies: 71
Views: 3681

Re: Bhikkhu Anālayo’s e-learning course on the Nibbana sermons by Bhikkhu Katukurunde Ñāṇananda

mikenz66 wrote:The MA lectures can be located from here:
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=26154

Is that what you meant?
Yes. And thanks.
The Nanananda lectures are in the future...
I am not totally stupid.
by tiltbillings
Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:14 am
Forum: Modern Interpretations
Topic: Bhikkhu Anālayo’s e-learning course on the Nibbana sermons by Bhikkhu Katukurunde Ñāṇananda
Replies: 71
Views: 3681

Re: Bhikkhu Anālayo’s e-learning course on the Nibbana sermons by Bhikkhu Katukurunde Ñāṇananda

mikenz66 wrote:Yes, the talks are given live, then the recordings are posted, and I presume discussion continues until the next talk.

:anjali:
Mike
And where can we find these recording?
by tiltbillings
Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:02 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Could a person experience any levels of Dhamma without prior knowledge?
Replies: 19
Views: 787

Re: Could a person experience any levels of Dhamma without prior knowledge?

Could a person experience any level of Dhamma understanding (insight knowledges, stream entry, spotless vision of the Dhamma or literally any inkling of Dhamma) without any prior knowledge of the Dhamma? In the Mahayana naturally this is said to happen all the time, up to and including becoming enl...
by tiltbillings
Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:40 am
Forum: Vipassanā / Satipaṭṭhāna Bhāvana
Topic: One could support the entirety of the Vipassana
Replies: 5
Views: 486

Re: One could support the entirety of the Vipassana

One could support the entirety of the vipassana path, as detailed by the Venerable Mahasi Sayadaw, using only the Sutta and Vinaya pitakas, I know this intuitively but cannot explain it due to my understanding being too broad and unspecific because I have seen it explained before, but in bits and p...
by tiltbillings
Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:21 am
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: In the Pali Canon, is there anything that disagrees with the Mahyana teachings?
Replies: 56
Views: 2598

Re: In the Pali Canon, is there anything that disagrees with the Mahyana teachings?

This sort of pseudo logic is characteristic of the whole of Mahayana. Not that you have shown. Referencing one obscure sect is hardly indicative of the whole of the Mahayana, all of the Mahayana schools. This bit of tenet is just one school. There is no single Mahayana school. Yes, you state the ob...
by tiltbillings
Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:31 pm
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: In the Pali Canon, is there anything that disagrees with the Mahyana teachings?
Replies: 56
Views: 2598

Re: In the Pali Canon, is there anything that disagrees with the Mahyana teachings?

Coëmgenu wrote:
The ordering is actually pretty solid, aside from the peculiarly odd dating of the Avataṃsaka & related sūtrāṇi as earliest. The Vaipulya literature does indeed predate the Wisdom-Perfection literature, which predates the Lotus Sutra.
Then it really is not very solid at all, it would seem.
by tiltbillings
Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:29 pm
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: In the Pali Canon, is there anything that disagrees with the Mahyana teachings?
Replies: 56
Views: 2598

Re: In the Pali Canon, is there anything that disagrees with the Mahyana teachings?

This sort of pseudo logic is characteristic of the whole of Mahayana. Not that you have shown. Referencing one obscure sect is hardly indicative of the whole of the Mahayana, all of the Mahayana schools. This bit of tenet is just one school. There is no single Mahayana school. Yes, you state the ob...
by tiltbillings
Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:21 pm
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: In the Pali Canon, is there anything that disagrees with the Mahyana teachings?
Replies: 56
Views: 2598

Re: In the Pali Canon, is there anything that disagrees with the Mahyana teachings?

As much as I love Śramaṇa Zhìyǐ, he had a very curious idea about the orderings of Buddhist texts, and when which dispensation was taught, and where. His ordering was: 1) Avataṃsaka & related sūtrāṇi, 2) the Āgamas, 3) the Vaipulya sūtrāṇi, 4) the rebuking of the Arhants, 5) the Mahāprajñāpāramitā ...
by tiltbillings
Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:13 pm
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: In the Pali Canon, is there anything that disagrees with the Mahyana teachings?
Replies: 56
Views: 2598

Re: In the Pali Canon, is there anything that disagrees with the Mahyana teachings?

Here's one of my favorites. A certain sect says, Buddha taught cause and effect in the first vehicle. In the second, he taught cause and effect is emptiness. And in the third vehicle he taught emptiness is cause and effect. This is a contradiction. Some might say the second should be he taught the ...
by tiltbillings
Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:07 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: "The Deathless" (amata)
Replies: 423
Views: 43720

Re: "The Deathless" (amata)

suttametta wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
suttametta wrote:Tilt, . . . something.
Well, thank you for sharing your thoughts.
I have no use for such pleasantries.
Well, thank you very much for letting me know that.
by tiltbillings
Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:39 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: the great Nibbana = annihilation, eternal, or something else thread
Replies: 2132
Views: 74770

Re: Is Nibbana a transcendent reality, or just a state of mind?

Dear Friends Maybe AN 9.34.3 can help: https://suttacentral.net/en/an9.34 "I have heard that on one occasion Ven. Sariputta was staying near Rajagaha in the Bamboo Grove, the Squirrels’ Feeding Sanctuary. There he said to the monks, “This Unbinding is pleasant, friends. This Unbinding is pleasant.”...
by tiltbillings
Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:31 pm
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: In the Pali Canon, is there anything that disagrees with the Mahyana teachings?
Replies: 56
Views: 2598

Re: In the Pali Canon, is there anything that disagrees with the Mahyana teachings?

Here's one of my favorites. A certain sect says, Buddha taught cause and effect in the first vehicle. In the second, he taught cause and effect is emptiness. And in the third vehicle he taught emptiness is cause and effect. This is a contradiction. Some might say the second should be he taught the ...