Search found 4473 matches

by Sam Vara
Fri May 03, 2019 8:04 pm
Forum: Ordination and Monastic Life
Topic: Monks and Social Justice
Replies: 24
Views: 417

Re: An Anthology of Discourses for Lay Followers

tlxxxviii wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:32 pm
Sam Vara wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:22 pm
When you say "in this regard", do you think that he starts being something that compromises his scholarship and ability to translate?
Yes.
Can you give some examples from his translations?
by Sam Vara
Fri May 03, 2019 7:22 pm
Forum: Ordination and Monastic Life
Topic: Monks and Social Justice
Replies: 24
Views: 417

Re: An Anthology of Discourses for Lay Followers

tlxxxviii wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 6:02 pm
The Ven. Jeff Block is highly suspect in this regard. Any "monk" with a foot in "social justice" ceases to be a monk and starts being something else entirely.
When you say "in this regard", do you think that he starts being something that compromises his scholarship and ability to translate?
by Sam Vara
Fri May 03, 2019 5:44 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Birth control
Replies: 18
Views: 347

Re: Birth control

Whether ovulation is happening or not is difficult to tell even with modern methods. If you used this as a method of birth control you'd almost certainly end up with a pregnancy at some point. Agreed, and it's even worse than that. Many women experience greater sexual desire during or immediately p...
by Sam Vara
Fri May 03, 2019 2:46 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Harmfulness as part of the practice
Replies: 5
Views: 127

Re: Harmfulness as part of the practice

The only sense I can make of the "heedlessness" contention is that although we are enjoined to be heedful, contemplation of our sometime heedlessness might be advantageous in the practice. Don't do it, but contemplate having done it. The same applies to the harmfulness issue. Don't do harm, but if r...
by Sam Vara
Wed May 01, 2019 3:46 pm
Forum: Introductions
Topic: hello from Riverside California
Replies: 8
Views: 229

Re: hello from Riverside California

Hi Doreen, and welcome to Dhamma Wheel. :anjali:
by Sam Vara
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:28 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: 'The Tightest Addiction' Poll
Replies: 44
Views: 692

Re: 'The Tightest Addiction' Poll

tlxxxviii wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:14 pm
clw_uk wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:32 pm
Views. I'd say that's more ingrained in us than all the others.
NO IT'S NOT
:rofl: :clap:
by Sam Vara
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:13 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Generosity as Poison
Replies: 132
Views: 1174

Re: Generosity as Poison

Yes, you're right, but as a benefit, not as a reason, it seemed to me. I never recall the Buddha teaching: "the reason it is good to be kind and compassionate is because it nourishes wholesome mental states." There is quite a lot in this vein: Bhikkhus, when the heart-deliverance of loving-kindness...
by Sam Vara
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:45 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Generosity as Poison
Replies: 132
Views: 1174

Re: Generosity as Poison

Dan74-MkII wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:18 pm
Remember the Metta Sutta? Cherish every living being, it says. No mention of your mental states.
I take your general point, but there is quite a lot about mental states in the Metta Sutta.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
by Sam Vara
Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:49 pm
Forum: Sīla
Topic: Lying to avoid hurting someone
Replies: 20
Views: 357

Re: Lying to avoid hurting someone

I'm sure that a person with supernormal emotional intelligence and self-possession would be able to deal with your situation in a manner that is preceptually acceptable and also saves the feelings of all concerned. I know I certainly couldn't. It's possible that people will say that you should main...
by Sam Vara
Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:37 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Should a monk stay standing when questioning, in the courts in Burma, Thailand, Sri Lanka ?
Replies: 8
Views: 200

Re: Should a monk stay standing when questioning, in the courts in Burma, Thailand, Sri Lanka ?

And what is the correct way according to Dhamma? If a monk is practising the path correctly, not involved in worldliness, why would he be anywhere near a court? Could he be there without an accusation being made against him personally? when summoned to a court or to a meeting, or to his relatives' ...
by Sam Vara
Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:40 pm
Forum: Sīla
Topic: Lying to avoid hurting someone
Replies: 20
Views: 357

Re: Lying to avoid hurting someone

I wonder what I should have replied according to the precepts, when she asked me why she could not come. According to the precepts, you should not have told a lie; that seems to be the first and most important factor in the various canonical formulations. This does seem to be one of those rare situ...
by Sam Vara
Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:40 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Generosity as Poison
Replies: 132
Views: 1174

Re: Generosity as Poison

If something is precious, and preciousness gives rise to greed, and greed is to be avoided, what possible sense does "generosity" make? Although precious things can give give rise to greed, they don't have to. Things can be precious because they are necessary for life, or because they restore justi...
by Sam Vara
Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:35 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Kamma defined as intention before Buddha?
Replies: 9
Views: 257

Re: Kamma defined as intention before Buddha?

It’s often said that Buddha was novel in that he redefined kamma as intention, yet in the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad, which is a pre-Buddhist text, we find this: “And here they say that a person consists of desires, and as is his desire, so is his will; and as is his will, so is his deed; and whateve...
by Sam Vara
Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:10 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Heedlessness as a part of the practice
Replies: 67
Views: 711

Re: Heedlessness as a part of the practice

Heedfulness is part of the practice. Heedlessness is not, although one's reflection upon heedlessness might well be.

In this, it is like other negative qualities such as anger. Definitely not part of the path, but the heedful recollection of it might be.