Search found 5346 matches

by Dinsdale
Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:43 pm
Forum: Abhidhamma
Topic: anatta and cetana and conditions for right view
Replies: 141
Views: 26624

Re: anatta and cetana and conditions for right view

robertk wrote:Sati and sampajana arise together.
In the context of satipatthana it always talks about sati-sampajana...
Robert, could you say exactly what you're basing this assertion on? When I read the Satipatthana Sutta I see both sati and sati-sampajana being described.
by Dinsdale
Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:16 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: We know about the Dhamma because of the suttas.
Replies: 54
Views: 5373

Re: We know about the Dhamma because of the suttas.

alan wrote:So we all agree that reading the suttas is important? Great. And we all agree that the suttas are the basis of all teachings. And I won't hear any disagreements, right?
Yes, the suttas are the best thing since sliced bread.
:woohoo:
by Dinsdale
Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:14 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: the great rebirth debate
Replies: 6108
Views: 472456

Re: Is hell and hungry ghost realm to be taken literally?

I see no reason to doubt that it should be taken literally. Some people say it should be taken literally. Some people say it should be taken metaphorically. As if the two are mutually exclusive. I think both would be the most accurate! There are many ways to classify mental states, but the correct ...
by Dinsdale
Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:11 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: the great rebirth debate
Replies: 6108
Views: 472456

Re: Is hell and hungry ghost realm to be taken literally?

In the suttas the realms are generally discussed in terms of beings being reborn in different destinations according to their actions, ie kamma - so I'd agree that they can be seen as a morality teaching. However I haven't seen any evidence in the suttas of the realms being portrayed as psychologic...
by Dinsdale
Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:10 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: We know about the Dhamma because of the suttas.
Replies: 54
Views: 5373

Re: We know about the Dhamma because of the suttas.

I agree that over time things will eventually change and then pass away however in practical terms contemporary teachers are of great benefit - essential even. I can see your point, but I also think "contemporary" has it's limitations. A modern observer might say: "As Buddhism established itself in...
by Dinsdale
Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:37 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: the great rebirth debate
Replies: 6108
Views: 472456

Re: Is hell and hungry ghost realm to be taken literally?

Bluelotus, I also interpret rebirth into hell and heaven in this manner. I understand that the suttas generally put forth a view of multiple realms as actual metaphysical places, and while I try to remain agnostic about this, I really do not believe in them. I'm agnostic myself, but reading the sut...
by Dinsdale
Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:16 pm
Forum: Lounge (Archive)
Topic: Word Association Game
Replies: 11969
Views: 636135

Re: Word Association Game

wages
by Dinsdale
Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:13 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: the great rebirth debate
Replies: 6108
Views: 472456

Re: Is hell and hungry ghost realm to be taken literally?

Bluelotus, I also interpret rebirth into hell and heaven in this manner. I understand that the suttas generally put forth a view of multiple realms as actual metaphysical places, and while I try to remain agnostic about this, I really do not believe in them. I'm agnostic myself, but reading the sut...
by Dinsdale
Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:03 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: On the authority of the suttas.
Replies: 41
Views: 5045

Re: On the authority of the suttas.

danieLion wrote:Westerners influenced by positivism..
What about westerners influenced by skepticism? ;)
by Dinsdale
Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:01 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: We know about the Dhamma because of the suttas.
Replies: 54
Views: 5373

Re: We know about the Dhamma because of the suttas.

For example, there are some who say that Suttas / scripture is not important, that it is all allegory and meditation practice is all you need to discover the truth through your own "intuitions." I agree. I don't see this as a reliable approach atall because the taints and self-view are very deeply ...
by Dinsdale
Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:58 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: We know about the Dhamma because of the suttas.
Replies: 54
Views: 5373

Re: We know about the Dhamma because of the suttas.

I see the Buddha and Suttas as a starting point and souce (of this dispensation) but not the end. The dhamma is something that moves through time with the Sangha; contemporary teachers and scholars are what make it accessible. Though contemporary expressions are just as much a product of time and p...
by Dinsdale
Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:52 am
Forum: Abhidhamma
Topic: anatta and cetana and conditions for right view
Replies: 141
Views: 26624

Re: anatta and cetana and conditions for right view

robertk wrote:But it is very different for genuine sati samajana to be present.
So sati sampajana is a "result" of sati?
by Dinsdale
Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:21 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: On the authority of the suttas.
Replies: 41
Views: 5045

Re: On the authority of the suttas.

1) We can't prove beyond any doubt that Buddha as historical person even existed. 2) We can't prove beyond any doubt that even if Buddha did exist that He was fully Awakened. 3) We can't prove beyond any doubt that even if Buddha did exist and that He was fully Awakened, that He didn't use skillful...
by Dinsdale
Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:55 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: the great rebirth debate
Replies: 6108
Views: 472456

Re: the great rebirth debate

dsaly1969 wrote:Scanning through this thread and the metaphysical speculation, it seems to remind me of the parable of the poison arrow. Deal with the dukkha. :tongue:
Sure, but understanding dukkha involves understanding dependent origination....and so it goes on... :tongue:
by Dinsdale
Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:52 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: On the authority of the suttas.
Replies: 41
Views: 5045

Re: On the authority of the suttas.

To my mind, it's not possible to make reference to the see-for-yourself nature of the Dhamma when held to Nikaya-strata deva-realms, rebirth, psychic powers, Marks, and so forth. These claims are roughly equivalent to God(s), angels, and miracles of any kind, and the broad spectrum of human mystica...