Search found 2130 matches

by Bundokji
Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:12 pm
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: Goenk's legacy?
Replies: 58
Views: 831

Re: Goenk's legacy?

First there is authority (ie. overwhelming power), and then there is value, as defined by said authority. Might makes right. Authority does not arise in a vacuum, and what sustains it is value. For example, Buddhists give authority to the Buddha because they see value in his teachings. The value pr...
by Bundokji
Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:01 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Have you ever had suicidal thoughts?
Replies: 55
Views: 740

Re: Have you ever had suicidal thoughts?

binocular wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:55 pm
Bundokji wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:42 pm
In fact, the mere understanding of what the term "suicide" means implies ideation. I am not sure what those who voted no had in mind!
They probably gave socially desirable answers.
This reminds me of Brexit and surveys before the last US elections
by Bundokji
Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:51 pm
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: Goenk's legacy?
Replies: 58
Views: 831

Re: Goenk's legacy?

binocular wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:50 pm
Bundokji wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:11 pm
I think the source of authority is value.
In what way?
Can there be an authority without value?
by Bundokji
Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:42 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Have you ever had suicidal thoughts?
Replies: 55
Views: 740

Re: Have you ever had suicidal thoughts?

I just wondered whether there was any survey done on this subject. The Google search found the following. The result was 13.3% of the respondents. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00048670902970874 In fact, the mere understanding of what the term "suicide" means implies ideation. I am n...
by Bundokji
Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:11 pm
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: Goenk's legacy?
Replies: 58
Views: 831

Re: Goenk's legacy?

binocular wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:57 pm
There can be no "source of authority"; it's in the nature of authority that it imposes itself, overwhelmingly. That's authority. Everything less is just less or more power.
I think the source of authority is value.
by Bundokji
Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:36 am
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: Goenk's legacy?
Replies: 58
Views: 831

Re: Goenk's legacy?

If the dhamma is radically different from everything else, then trying any of the above is useless and cannot go beyond self improvement. If the dhamma is not too different from everything else, then still, trying any of the above is ultimately useless and cannot go beyond self improvement. I'm rea...
by Bundokji
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:41 pm
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: Goenk's legacy?
Replies: 58
Views: 831

Re: Goenk's legacy?

Where I came into this conversation was to comment on the idea that you seemed to be expressing: you don't need teachers because they just brainwash you. The implication seemed to be that it was better to just figure it all out for yourself. I must admit that some of the teachers I had in high scho...
by Bundokji
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:07 pm
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: Goenk's legacy?
Replies: 58
Views: 831

Re: Goenk's legacy?

The fact that there is no central authority in Buddhism (no equivalent institution to the institution of the pope in Roman Catholicism) is already a clue that whatever "agreed upon frameworks" there are in Buddhism, none of them is exclusively atuhoritative, so that practicing and prospective Buddh...
by Bundokji
Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:02 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Attachment to non-attachment
Replies: 29
Views: 358

Re: Attachment to non-attachment

For whatever reason, this reminded me of "The Ant and the Grasshopper" Fable and counter-fable The fable concerns a grasshopper (in the original, a cicada) that has spent the summer singing while the ant (or ants in some versions) worked to store up food for winter. When that season arrives, the gra...
by Bundokji
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:50 am
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: Goenk's legacy?
Replies: 58
Views: 831

Re: Goenk's legacy?

I'm not sure what your point is. Clearly that would depend on the subject matter in any country. Obviously you should not pass a mathematics exam if you maintained that 2+2 were 5. Or if you did not understand the safety requirements in some engineering context. The point is: formal education has i...
by Bundokji
Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:43 am
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: Goenk's legacy?
Replies: 58
Views: 831

Re: Goenk's legacy?

mikenz66 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:24 am
Thank you for making your opinion clear. I'm sorry if that is how education was for you. Clearly was not my experience.
Just out of curiosity. In NZ, if you provide an answer in the exam that is not according to an agreed upon truth, would you pass?
by Bundokji
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:54 pm
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: Goenk's legacy?
Replies: 58
Views: 831

Re: Goenk's legacy?

Well, of course it is possible to learn everything by yourself,but it is very difficult and time consuming for most people. Let me turn it around. Do you think learning Dhamma is easier than what you learned at school or university? In the Sutta-Vinaya there is a lot of emphasis on instruction, and...
by Bundokji
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:29 pm
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: Goenk's legacy?
Replies: 58
Views: 831

Re: Goenk's legacy?

What you can't do alone is instruct yourself on difficult problems that may arise. You are trying to get beyond your delusions, which most people find very difficult on their own. That's why the suttas involve the Buddha or other teachers instructing other bhikkhus and bhikkhunis. Dealing with prob...
by Bundokji
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:14 pm
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: Goenk's legacy?
Replies: 58
Views: 831

Re: Goenk's legacy?

By all means, try it, and tell us about it! But if your avatar picture is anything to go by ... Once i figure out to go there to do "what", then i might give it a serious thought. If they go to sit, i can do this in my home without being surrounded with others (unless sitting together is a form of ...
by Bundokji
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:03 pm
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: Goenk's legacy?
Replies: 58
Views: 831

Re: Goenk's legacy?

In which case, I think there are lots of different reasons. In terms of "supply side" economics, it makes more sense for well-known teachers to instruct large groups who gather for the purpose, just like pupils go to a school or students to a university. In Goenka's case, they have standardised the...