Search found 225 matches

by Herbie
Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:07 pm
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: Emptiness: the reality beyond reality
Replies: 99
Views: 13189

Re: Emptiness: the reality beyond reality

_anicca_ wrote:
Herbie wrote: ...tibetan fools...
Why do you say this?
Because I am not "mistakenly equating emptiness with the idea that nothing at all exists".
by Herbie
Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:39 pm
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: Are my future parents already here?
Replies: 87
Views: 9273

Re: Are my future parents already here?

I had this thought today. The whole world is changing at the same time, may be in a different rate. So when a person is dying, at the same time preparation for his rebirth also taking place. So my future parents could be my next door boy or girl. Perhaps the bird who is making the nest in the tree ...
by Herbie
Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:35 pm
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: Emptiness: the reality beyond reality
Replies: 99
Views: 13189

Re: Emptiness: the reality beyond reality

Greetings Herbie, While the Buddha did teach that the nature of mind—in fact the nature of all phenomena—is emptiness, Sorry but where did he teach that? The Phena Sutta comes to mind as a good example of this. Metta, Paul. :) Well I think that isn't a good example because the constructions of thos...
by Herbie
Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:39 am
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: Emptiness: the reality beyond reality
Replies: 99
Views: 13189

Re: Emptiness: the reality beyond reality

Lucas Oliveira wrote:While the Buddha did teach that the nature of mind—in fact the nature of all phenomena—is emptiness,
Sorry but where did he teach that?
by Herbie
Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:27 am
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: Buddhistdoor View—Why Buddhism is Not All About the Search for Happiness
Replies: 16
Views: 3088

Re: Buddhistdoor View—Why Buddhism is Not All About the Search for Happiness

Buddhistdoor View—Why Buddhism is Not All About the Search for Happiness By Buddhistdoor Buddhistdoor Global 2016-07-08 ... It would be easy for an outsider to conclude from this material that cultivating and promoting happiness is one of the highest priorities of Buddhism. Popular media outlets li...
by Herbie
Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:07 am
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: Trapped by concepts (words)
Replies: 22
Views: 2867

Re: Trapped by concepts (words)

The Thinker wrote:Yes this is the area I wish to discuss :namaste:
This may manifest the "trap of words". Why does one want or wish or seek to discuss anything? Because the phenomena arising depending on seeing and/or hearing words appear to be true although they are not.
by Herbie
Tue May 17, 2016 9:52 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: What name-and-form means for Buddhist practice
Replies: 43
Views: 5744

Re: What name-and-form means for Buddhist practice

... Of course this is incorrect thinking in that when we are busy fabricating what we see is not the object at all but some mental object we create and even when we think we observe the object directly there really is no way of knowing how well we see it because we have no way of knowing how much t...
by Herbie
Mon May 16, 2016 6:49 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: What name-and-form means for Buddhist practice
Replies: 43
Views: 5744

Re: What name-and-form means for Buddhist practice

Just to throw this out there for your consideration, Folks, what if in meditation, when hearing, instead of labeling "hearing, hearing", we negate "not hearing, not hearing"? When sensing, when thinking, when..., we negate it? Would that not lead to the dropping of the aggregates, the dropping of n...
by Herbie
Mon May 16, 2016 5:07 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: What name-and-form means for Buddhist practice
Replies: 43
Views: 5744

Re: What name-and-form means for Buddhist practice

Just to throw this out there for your consideration, Folks, what if in meditation, when hearing, instead of labeling "hearing, hearing", we negate "not hearing, not hearing"? When sensing, when thinking, when..., we negate it? Would that not lead to the dropping of the aggregates, the dropping of n...
by Herbie
Sat May 14, 2016 4:54 am
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: Where are the post-annihilationist monastics?
Replies: 65
Views: 9040

Re: Where are the post-annihilationist monastics?

(8) “Bhikkhus, of the speculative views held by outsiders, this is the foremost, namely: ‘I might not be and it might not be mine; I shall not be, and it will not be mine.’ For it can be expected that one who holds such a view will not be unrepelled by existence and will not be repelled by the cess...
by Herbie
Wed May 11, 2016 6:39 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Poll: Belief in rebirth
Replies: 143
Views: 22374

Re: Poll: Belief in rebirth

suriyopama wrote:... I would rather rely on what I directly find myself from the practice than on the conceptual ideas coming from another person.
yes that's best.
by Herbie
Wed May 11, 2016 6:35 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Poll: Belief in rebirth
Replies: 143
Views: 22374

Re: Poll: Belief in rebirth

Disciple wrote:No rebirth = zero point in practicing Dhamma
I'd say it can make the course of life more smooth and less turbulent which is what some may appreciate.
by Herbie
Wed May 11, 2016 6:31 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: phenomena/experience
Replies: 76
Views: 6926

Re: phenomena/experience

Experience is feeling, perceiving and other fomations and the basis is conciousness. Phenomena are objects of conciousness which is the basis for experience. So to say "the same thing" is not correct. "Feeling, perception, & consciousness are conjoined, friend, not disjoined. It is not possible, ha...
by Herbie
Mon May 09, 2016 1:03 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Poll: Belief in rebirth
Replies: 143
Views: 22374

Re: Poll: Belief in rebirth

suriyopama wrote:
SarathW wrote:Stephen Hawking say that there is no after life neither the God!
Is the authority of Hawking more reliable than the combination of jhana and discernment?
There isn't any authority that would not be merely conceptually imputed. So what to rely on?
by Herbie
Sun May 08, 2016 11:24 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: phenomena/experience
Replies: 76
Views: 6926

Re: phenomena/experience

Is phenomena what experience is made of? Experience is feeling, perceiving and other fomations and the basis is conciousness. Is phenomena the same thing as experience? Phenomena are objects of conciousness which is the basis for experience. So to say "the same thing" is not correct. I guess we exp...