Search found 524 matches

by nowheat
Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:52 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: the great rebirth debate
Replies: 6089
Views: 422843

Re: the great rebirth debate

Hello all, check out AN6.62 (8) Knowledge sutta. The Buddha clearly states that what he said about rebirth ( in this case about Devadatta ) was true and not "figurative". Then a certain bhikkhu approached the Venerable Ananda and said to him: "Friend Ananda, was it after full consideration that the...
by nowheat
Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:06 pm
Forum: Pāli
Topic: Gombrich's Pali Intensive Course Now Online
Replies: 0
Views: 648

Gombrich's Pali Intensive Course Now Online

For the serious student only (because it does cost money and will take up a great deal of your time and attention for the duration of the course): http://ocbs.org/courses/pali-online-school/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Dates & Times: -----------------------------------------------...
by nowheat
Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:05 pm
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: The results of kamma can be avoided?
Replies: 28
Views: 1901

Re: The results of kamma can be avoided?

Wow. Thanks so much to everyone -- I've now got a lot of homework to do, reading up on the links and suttas y'all provided, and trying to sort it out in my mind. I hope you don't mind if, a while from now, I come back with questions?
by nowheat
Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:07 pm
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: The results of kamma can be avoided?
Replies: 28
Views: 1901

The results of kamma can be avoided?

Bhikkhu Bodhi, in Note 2181 to AN 10.217 says of the opening of that sutta: The Buddha's statement that there is no termination of volitional kamma so long as one has not experienced its results seems to contradict one of the main premises of his teaching, namely, that to attain liberation -- "to ma...
by nowheat
Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:21 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: the great rebirth debate
Replies: 6089
Views: 422843

Re: the great rebirth debate

The Buddha taught a graded path, and that quite likely the path to Nirvana could cover several future lifetimes, to say that practicing for a higher rebirth is folly makes no sense at all, its incredibly more likely that you will have a future rebirth than that you will reach nirvana in this lifeti...
by nowheat
Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:32 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: the great rebirth debate
Replies: 6089
Views: 422843

Re: the great rebirth debate

But when it comes to contentious debates on abstractions , I've found it's best to largely stay out of the firing line. I did find this out through experience and I think others must follow the same path so as usual I'm preaching to the choir here. Well stated, and wise. But the point I'm trying to...
by nowheat
Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:12 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: the great rebirth debate
Replies: 6089
Views: 422843

Re: the great rebirth debate

tiltbillings wrote:
nowheat wrote: I dislike upsetting people.
Then why did you upset me?
I wasn't aware I did. I'm sorry for it. Anything I can do to make it better?

:namaste:
by nowheat
Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:56 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: the great rebirth debate
Replies: 6089
Views: 422843

Re: the great rebirth debate

At this point, I simply choose not to debate this subject any further, and not because I am unable, but rather having indulged in this at length, I find it fruitless. You, for whatever reason, want a debate. Good luck with that; I hope you find someone who is interested. Why say anything at all, ti...
by nowheat
Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:11 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: the great rebirth debate
Replies: 6089
Views: 422843

Re: the great rebirth debate

tiltbillings wrote:Maybe, but there also might be other reasons.
Undoubtedly. But whatever the reason, it comes down to either choosing to not, or being unable to, engage in debate. Which seems odd to me in a topic in which the word "debate" is featured.
by nowheat
Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:09 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: the great rebirth debate
Replies: 6089
Views: 422843

Re: the great rebirth debate

I ask questions, but I don't get answers. Is this because when answered, cognitive dissonance arises? Earlier I asked: "Are you, then, suggesting that the Buddha is teaching that an individual *should* only care about their own suffering?" and "Do you, then, disagree that in the lists of 'virtuous b...
by nowheat
Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:57 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: the great rebirth debate
Replies: 6089
Views: 422843

Re: the great rebirth debate

Right view is not some *ad hoc* presentation concocted by the Buddha only to be abandoned later. If I understand you correctly, then, the view: 'There is what is given, what is offered, what is sacrificed. There are fruits & results of good & bad actions. There is this world & the next world. There...
by nowheat
Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:01 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: the great rebirth debate
Replies: 6089
Views: 422843

Re: the great rebirth debate

Sorry to burst your bubble but I call BS in that. You should check the samyutta nikaya book of causation first sutra. When the Buddha explained the DO links, birth aging and death means literal BIRTH ,AGING and DEATH.The DO teaching is about the process of mental and physical dukkha and how to end ...
by nowheat
Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:41 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: the great rebirth debate
Replies: 6089
Views: 422843

Re: the great rebirth debate

nowheat wrote: "Rebirth is used in the Buddha's talks as a frame for his lessons, it isn't the lesson itself." Good posting!!! chownah But what does that mean? Hey tilt, I expect you know by now that brief is not my strong suit. I try brief (as above) and it's not enough, I try for longer and you a...
by nowheat
Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:01 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: the great rebirth debate
Replies: 6089
Views: 422843

Re: the great rebirth debate

Spiny Norman wrote: In that case why do some people have a problem with rebirth?
What "some people" are you talking about and specifically what "problem"? Hard to respond to this without more information.

:namaste:
by nowheat
Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:59 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: the great rebirth debate
Replies: 6089
Views: 422843

Re: the great rebirth debate

To me it seems like a lack of saddha . Would it not be much easier to proceed skillfully and in the right manner when there is a greater faith and confidence in the Buddha and His teachings? I have absolute faith and confidence in the Buddha and his teachings. It's "folk" that I lack faith and conf...
by nowheat
Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:07 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: the great rebirth debate
Replies: 6089
Views: 422843

Re: the great rebirth debate

I was originally responding to your comment: The Buddha's methods don't seem to me to be aimed at liberating individuals so much as at reducing suffering in the world for all beings, liberated or not. and so I posted a couple of verses from 'Khaggavisana Sutta: A Rhinoceros' because (in my opinion)...
by nowheat
Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:42 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: the great rebirth debate
Replies: 6089
Views: 422843

Re: the great rebirth debate

I think you missed my point, Linda. I don't think its about trying to save all sentient beings, that's a Mahayana concept. Seems we get to play "point ping pong", Aloka, because if I missed your point being about "saving all sentient beings" it might be because that wasn't *my* point, and I thought...
by nowheat
Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:17 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: the great rebirth debate
Replies: 6089
Views: 422843

Re: the great rebirth debate

Deep sleep is the least stressful "time" of my miserable life. I hope that things get better for you. The above helps me understand some of the reasons you might be interpreting "Suffering, as a noble truth, is this: Birth is suffering, aging is suffering, sickness is suffering, death is suffering,...
by nowheat
Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:02 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: the great rebirth debate
Replies: 6089
Views: 422843

Re: the great rebirth debate

Have you ever thought about what a selfish attitude the above represents? Buddha's teaching is to end dukkha. A part of his belief was that death is not automatic end of it because their is rebirth for non-arahants. So to end all dukkha from ever repeating again, one would need to end being born an...
by nowheat
Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:48 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: the great rebirth debate
Replies: 6089
Views: 422843

Re: the great rebirth debate

...and yet there are verses in the suttas like this one: One whose mind is enmeshed in sympathy for friends & companions, neglects the true goal. Seeing this danger in intimacy, wander alone like a rhinoceros. http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/snp/snp.1.03.than.html You might have missed t...