Search found 831 matches

by seeker242
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:15 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Universe and its constant change....purpose
Replies: 37
Views: 848

Re: Universe and its constant change....purpose

Why would there need to be any purpose behind it all? Because then one could, as an individual person, make sense of one's life, have a purpose to it -- or such is many people's intuition about these matters. But you can do that without any external purpose of some unseen thing somewhere out there.
by seeker242
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:07 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Universe and its constant change....purpose
Replies: 37
Views: 848

Re: Universe and its constant change....purpose

Why would there need to be any purpose behind it all?
by seeker242
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:41 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Isn't Buddhism an extreme path?
Replies: 8
Views: 238

Re: Isn't Buddhism an extreme path?

:namaste: The monks have to get up early, eat only one meal. This is an extreme. Extreme according to who? To someone addicted to sleeping and eating? Sure, you could say that. But, the whole point to to break the addiction to such things. Is it "extreme" to tell an alcoholic if you want to break t...
by seeker242
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:55 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: How difficult it is to obtain human life ?
Replies: 24
Views: 470

Re: How difficult it is to obtain human life ?

sentinel wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:46 pm
seeker242 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:41 pm
But there is no contradiction.
Well , that is because you missed something . But , nvm people missed a lot of things .
:console:
What did I miss?
by seeker242
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:41 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: How difficult it is to obtain human life ?
Replies: 24
Views: 470

Re: How difficult it is to obtain human life ?

sentinel wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:26 pm
seeker242 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:13 pm
Even if the number is now 1,000 times that, it's still next to nothing, still not even a fraction, when compared with the great earth.
Probably you missed the question .
:juggling:
The question I saw was "How does Buddhism reconcile this contradiction?"

But there is no contradiction.
by seeker242
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:38 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: 4TN are not for everyone
Replies: 70
Views: 1102

Re: 4TN are not for everyone

For others(not noble ones), the information embedded in 4TN has no practical meaning(that is, it cannot be understood and used). It can be used by non-noble ones. The Buddha himself stated that is how one becomes a noble one to begin with. Then Sāriputta went up to the Buddha, bowed, and sat down t...
by seeker242
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:13 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: How difficult it is to obtain human life ?
Replies: 24
Views: 470

Re: How difficult it is to obtain human life ?

However , nowadays it appears human population is estimated over 7 billions or much more . So , how does Buddhism reconcile in explaining the contradiction ?! What contradiction? The number of humans beings among beings is still exponentially and infinitesimally small, which by definition, makes it...
by seeker242
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:58 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: What could rouse more conviction?
Replies: 14
Views: 293

Re: What could rouse more conviction?

Associating with people of conviction certainly rouses more conviction. :meditate: "And what is meant by admirable friendship? There is the case where a lay person, in whatever town or village he may dwell, spends time with householders or householders' sons, young or old, who are advanced in virtue...
by seeker242
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:21 am
Forum: Sīla
Topic: Humour - wrong speach?
Replies: 22
Views: 538

Re: Humour - wrong speach?

Do you think it's a harsh speach because if it's not involve oneself its often involves some others being's behaviour that make us laugh. Depends on the particular situation. Or can we say that humour is a distraction/iddle chatter ? Depends on the particular situation. Or all depends on one's moti...
by seeker242
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:54 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Buddhism and What it Offers
Replies: 73
Views: 1720

Re: Buddhism and What it Offers

People often fail to recognize that this also requires that the Buddha himself was just plain ignorant, or just lying. I don't know about others, but I find it a heck of a lot easier to believe in rebirth, than it is to believe the Buddha himself was just an ignorant fool or liar. This type of thin...
by seeker242
Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:53 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Buddhism and What it Offers
Replies: 73
Views: 1720

Re: Buddhism and What it Offers

Or the second which is there is nothing attained in this life beyond relaxation techniques or intellectual curiosities contemplated by following the teachings of buddhism. People often fail to recognize that this also requires that the Buddha himself was just plain ignorant, or just lying. I don't ...
by seeker242
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:00 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Results of past karma
Replies: 56
Views: 1311

Re: Results of past karma

I'm sorry seeker, I can't understand. When you say " the ripening of past kamma" do you mean the ripening of the fruit of past kamma.? Vipaka is what is meant or when consequences of those actions appear. Also can you restate (please) "Actions that would have sent him to hell, only appeared for a m...
by seeker242
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:03 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Results of past karma
Replies: 56
Views: 1311

Re: Results of past karma

I am talking about the results of actions here, NOT intent. If I am going to experience the results of a certain action I've performed in the past, will that result be an OUTWARD event only (such as losing one's job). Or will an inward event (such as pain over losing one's job) happen along with it...
by seeker242
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:00 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Results of past karma
Replies: 56
Views: 1311

Re: Results of past karma

alfa wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:04 am

If vipaka is both outward and inward, then we have no control over mind states.
That's not true, because you can control your intentional actions, which thereby influences, or exerts control over, which kind of vipaka will arise to begin with.
by seeker242
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:13 am
Forum: Wellness, Diet & Fitness
Topic: Veganism: a host of issues.
Replies: 117
Views: 3097

Re: Veganism: a host of issues.

So, what should we be looking for? Go back to being a hunter gather and stop pooping indoors, stop driving cars, stop living in buildings, stop wearing clothes, because all those things are completely unnatural. Just go live naked in the forest and eat stuff out of the dirt. :jumping: :rofl: There ...