Search found 5700 matches

by Dinsdale
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:54 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Are Rapture and Pleasure (Piti Sukha) Experienced in Nibbana? It Seems So!
Replies: 77
Views: 1730

Re: Are Rapture and Pleasure (Piti Sukha) Experienced in Nibbana? It Seems So!

Zom wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:51 pm
Again, this shows that either this "Vinnayam Adissanam" is an entirely useless concept in terms of Path
This is just your assumption.
Zom wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:51 pm
, or, you've understood it in a wrong way (the 2nd is true -)
Really? And what in your view is the right way?
by Dinsdale
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:48 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Are Rapture and Pleasure (Piti Sukha) Experienced in Nibbana? It Seems So!
Replies: 77
Views: 1730

Re: Are Rapture and Pleasure (Piti Sukha) Experienced in Nibbana? It Seems So!

This explanation is incorrect. Please read MN 38. View that nibbana = consiousness is eternalism. :strawman: In MN38 Sati assumes vinnana to be like a "soul", and not like Nibbana. Also vinnana refers to the six types of sense-consciousness , and not to consciousness without surface ( vinnana anida...
by Dinsdale
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:19 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Are Rapture and Pleasure (Piti Sukha) Experienced in Nibbana? It Seems So!
Replies: 77
Views: 1730

Re: Are Rapture and Pleasure (Piti Sukha) Experienced in Nibbana? It Seems So!

Precisely. In all eternalstic/annihilationistic theories Atta (soul) is an unconditioned part of a living being. Everything depends on conditions, but this thing is "always there" and does not change because it is not conditioned. True Self. This is what you are describing. Nibbana is also uncondit...
by Dinsdale
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:13 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Are Rapture and Pleasure (Piti Sukha) Experienced in Nibbana? It Seems So!
Replies: 77
Views: 1730

Re: Are Rapture and Pleasure (Piti Sukha) Experienced in Nibbana? It Seems So!

consciousness in this doctrine is defined as six classes of consciousness and has namarupa as it's supporting condition and this consciousness is impermanent. Vinnana Anidassanam is without duration, without supporting conditions and is stable, boundless, illuminous all around. These are different ...
by Dinsdale
Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:18 am
Forum: Wellness, Diet & Fitness
Topic: Can someone help me quit smoking ?
Replies: 4
Views: 76

Re: Can someone help me quit smoking ?

shivamani3 wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:46 pm
I am very afraid and depressed due to my smoking habits
Please help ?
Nicotine replacement therapy can be helpful eg gum, lozenges, vaping etc.
by Dinsdale
Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:08 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Did Buddha Permanently Dwell in Nibbana or was In-and-Out
Replies: 113
Views: 2740

Re: Did Buddha Permanently Dwell in Nibbana or was In-and-Out

The mind that has experienced nibbana is disinclined to engage in the conditioned realm. It doesn't mean it remains permanently in that state. " This state, too, is hard to see : the resolution of all fabrications, the relinquishment of all acquisitions, the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation...
by Dinsdale
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:09 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Did Buddha Permanently Dwell in Nibbana or was In-and-Out
Replies: 113
Views: 2740

Re: Did Buddha Permanently Dwell in Nibbana or was In-and-Out

you have made a thing of nibbana, given it static & essential identity in the same way an eternalist gives that to themselves. Though there are sutta passages which suggest that. "Unconditioned" means not subject to conditions, ie unchanging. I think that i that's why he said "a thing", because "th...
by Dinsdale
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:06 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Did Buddha Permanently Dwell in Nibbana or was In-and-Out
Replies: 113
Views: 2740

Re: Did Buddha Permanently Dwell in Nibbana or was In-and-Out

Mind can only take one object(conditioned/unconditioned) at a time. To engage with the "world" means having to "come out". This assumes that Nibbana is a mind-object, and I don't think that is clear from the suttas. But leaving this aside, are you suggesting that the mind continually switches betwe...
by Dinsdale
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:31 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Did Buddha Permanently Dwell in Nibbana or was In-and-Out
Replies: 113
Views: 2740

Re: Did Buddha Permanently Dwell in Nibbana or was In-and-Out

dylanj wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:21 am
you have made a thing of nibbana, given it static & essential identity in the same way an eternalist gives that to themselves.
Though there are sutta passages which suggest that. "Unconditioned" means not subject to conditions, ie unchanging.
by Dinsdale
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:15 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Sankhara in the paticasamuppada
Replies: 43
Views: 1718

Re: Sankhara in the paticasamuppada

In the Dependent Origination taught by the Buddha and consistent with MN 19, volition or choices does not make its appearance until the 4th link. I think we need to be cautious in adopting this simplistic linear approach to DO, since different factors can appear in more than one nidana. For example...
by Dinsdale
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:07 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Sankhara in the paticasamuppada
Replies: 43
Views: 1718

Re: Sankhara in the paticasamuppada

And here is the Pali, though I don't think it sheds much light on the meaning: "Katame ca, bhikkhave, saṅkhārā? Tayome, bhikkhave, saṅkhārā—kāyasaṅkhāro, vacīsaṅkhāro, cittasaṅkhāro. Ime vuccanti, bhikkhave, saṅkhārā." https://suttacentral.net/sn12.2/pli/ms We need to work out what "sankharo" means...
by Dinsdale
Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:41 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Sankhara in the paticasamuppada
Replies: 43
Views: 1718

Re: Sankhara in the paticasamuppada

So SN12.2 and MN9 are "forgeries" because they don't conform to your preconceptions? :shrug: The word "kamma"" is not even mentioned in D.O. in the above suttas. :roll: As for the above irrelevant statement, unrelated to the discussion. Kaya, vaci and citta sankhara do not appear to mean "kamma", a...
by Dinsdale
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:00 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Sankhara in the paticasamuppada
Replies: 43
Views: 1718

Re: Sankhara in the paticasamuppada

DooDoot wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:30 am
This said, why is evidence required since it is a strange idea that kamma would occur so early in the sequence?
So SN12.2 and MN9 are "forgeries" because they don't conform to your preconceptions? :shrug:
by Dinsdale
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:51 am
Forum: Theravāda for Beginners
Topic: suffering is caused by ????
Replies: 20
Views: 1168

Re: suffering is caused by ????

dylanj wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:09 am
“‘Whatever suffering arises, all is caused by consciousness’, this is one observation. ‘With the complete ending of all consciousness there is no arising of suffering’, this is a second observation.
So the goal is cessation of consciousness? What would that be like, practically speaking?
by Dinsdale
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:48 am
Forum: Sīla
Topic: Is smoking tobacco/ e-ciggarettes a breach of the 5th precept?
Replies: 35
Views: 1749

Re: Is smoking tobacco/ e-ciggarettes a breach of the 5th precept?

rightviewftw wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:47 am
apparently even entertainment causes heedlessness;
I think that's the point of it. :tongue: