Search found 393 matches

by Grigoris
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:45 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: What is nirvana/heaven?
Replies: 48
Views: 1726

Re: What is nirvana/heaven?

“When a noble disciple has thus understood contact, the origin of contact, the cessation of contact, and the way leading to the cessation of contact…he here and now makes an end of suffering. In that way too a noble disciple is one of right view…and has arrived at this true Dhamma.” Sammādiṭṭhi Sut...
by Grigoris
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:55 pm
Forum: Abhidhamma
Topic: Clearing up Misconceptions about Kamma
Replies: 9
Views: 636

Re: Clearing up Misconceptions about Kamma

sunnat wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:28 pm
My apologies. I thought you were making a point. :anjali:
Sorry, maybe I did not understand. Were you supporting my point?
by Grigoris
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:36 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: What is nirvana/heaven?
Replies: 48
Views: 1726

Re: What is nirvana/heaven?

cappuccino wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:29 pm
of course, Nirvana is unconditioned

however, unconditioned is a state of mind

hence realm / dimension (now & later)
Yeah... Okay...
crazed.jpg
crazed.jpg (23.1 KiB) Viewed 442 times
by Grigoris
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:28 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: What is nirvana/heaven?
Replies: 48
Views: 1726

Re: What is nirvana/heaven?

cappuccino wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:25 pm
I'm Buddhist, I'm not an annihilationist
You can justify it to yourself any way you like.

The heavenly realms are samsaric realms. They are conditioned. Nirvana is not conditioned.

The realm of infinite space is a samsaric realm.
by Grigoris
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:21 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: What is nirvana/heaven?
Replies: 48
Views: 1726

Re: What is nirvana/heaven?

cappuccino wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:20 pm
well this teaching is amazing
Yes, you are quite right.

But your interpretation/conclusion is deluded.
by Grigoris
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:20 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: What is nirvana/heaven?
Replies: 48
Views: 1726

Re: What is nirvana/heaven?

...nibbāna is the cessation of contact Source? The commentary to the Majjhe Sutta. The Blessed One said this: “Contact, bhikkhus, is one end; the arising of contact is the second end; the cessation of contact is in the middle; and craving is the seamstress. For craving sews one to the production of...
by Grigoris
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:17 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: What is nirvana/heaven?
Replies: 48
Views: 1726

Re: What is nirvana/heaven?

cappuccino wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:14 pm
you'll notice the base of the infinity of space is mentioned

which is a heavenly realm
It takes an insane stretch of logic to come to that conclusion.
by Grigoris
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:11 pm
Forum: Abhidhamma
Topic: Clearing up Misconceptions about Kamma
Replies: 9
Views: 636

Re: Clearing up Misconceptions about Kamma

sunnat wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:47 pm
Kamma phala and kamma vakka are not kamma. They are the fruit of kamma.
Yeah, and?

What is your point?
by Grigoris
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:10 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: What is nirvana/heaven?
Replies: 48
Views: 1726

Re: What is nirvana/heaven?

“Just as... the great ocean is vast, boundless, fills not up for all of the streams that flow into it. Precisely so Nibbæna is vast, boundless, fills not up for all of the living beings that pass thereunto. But again further, – the great ocean is all in blossom, as it were, with the flowers of its ...
by Grigoris
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:09 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: What is nirvana/heaven?
Replies: 48
Views: 1726

Re: What is nirvana/heaven?

And here is the alternative translation: Nibbāna Sutta: Parinibbana (1) translated from the Pali by John D. Ireland © 1998 Thus have I heard. At one time the Lord was staying near Savatthi in the Jeta Wood at Anathapindika's monastery. On that occasion the Lord was instructing, rousing, inspiring, a...
by Grigoris
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:07 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: What is nirvana/heaven?
Replies: 48
Views: 1726

Re: What is nirvana/heaven?

cappuccino wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:50 pm
Grigoris wrote:
cappuccino wrote:

heavenly realms are conditioned, Nirvana realm is unconditioned
Nirvana is not a realm.
There is that dimension
And that kiddies is what happens when you mistake the figurative for definitive.
by Grigoris
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:30 pm
Forum: Abhidhamma
Topic: Clearing up Misconceptions about Kamma
Replies: 9
Views: 636

Re: Clearing up Misconceptions about Kamma

Thank you, well worth watching, closely studying. Note how it is at feelings that the opportunity to step off the wheel of becoming is presented. From a footnote in the Venerable Ledi Sayadaw's The Noble Eightfold Path and its Factors Explained : "Note that kamma means action, not the fruit of acti...
by Grigoris
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:27 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Results of past karma
Replies: 56
Views: 1787

Re: Results of past karma

Why do you think kamma must play some role here? I join DW just because I want to do it now. And ye, my eyes and fingers, as well as my laptop, helps to do that 8-) So why do you have fingers and eyes and the economic ability to own a laptop? Why are you not born a fingerless and eyeless worm with ...
by Grigoris
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:38 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: What is nirvana/heaven?
Replies: 48
Views: 1726

Re: What is nirvana/heaven?

cappuccino wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:42 pm
Grigoris wrote: What is this unconditioned heavenly realm you are talking about?
heavenly realms are conditioned, Nirvana realm is unconditioned
Nirvana is not a realm.
by Grigoris
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:25 pm
Forum: General Theravāda Meditation
Topic: Book about jhana
Replies: 22
Views: 1448

Re: Book about jhana

I don't understand how somebody can talk about "teaching the jhanas".

Surely one just experiences jhana as a consequence of practice?

I mean, one could define each jhana, but teach it???