Search found 1593 matches

by sentinel
Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:13 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: What is the difference between Citta and Vinnana?
Replies: 47
Views: 489

Re: What is the difference between Citta and Vinnana?

For me it's really about different ways of viewing things, different models of experience. Sometimes I find it useful to imagine the mind as a "space" where things arise (mano), sometimes I just work with sense-objects (vinnana), other times I move attention down and connect with "heart" (citta). S...
by sentinel
Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:39 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: The relation about Dhamma and reality itself
Replies: 8
Views: 100

Re: The relation about Dhamma and reality itself

The six type of consciousness is My world . The six external object is The world . To be precise , without the "Outside world" , there is No way to determine External object either . Fallacy occurs if to regard external object as unknowable . If external object is unknowable , then there is no six e...
by sentinel
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:14 pm
Forum: Early Buddhism
Topic: Ajahn Sucitto says mindfulness is "not judgmental", I say it is very judgmental.
Replies: 20
Views: 261

Re: Ajahn Sucitto says mindfulness is "not judgmental", I say it is very judgmental.

Pulsar wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:18 pm

the person free of hindrances, will not judge.
The person in the court as a judge need to judge .
by sentinel
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:41 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: What is the difference between Citta and Vinnana?
Replies: 47
Views: 489

Re: What is the difference between Citta and Vinnana?

No, it was a straightforward question. My thoughts arise "in my head", or at least it feels like that. I think this is because the main sense organs are located physically in the head, so it feels like that's the "centre" of my experience. I'm still not sure what you're questioning though. Are you ...
by sentinel
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:08 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: View never age
Replies: 2
Views: 103

View never age

Dear forums , It appears many would take birth ,old age ,death in dependent origination as something of mentality . That birth refer to birth of a view (of a being) , similar with the aging and death processes of a view . However , if mind process happens through contact , each contact means arising...
by sentinel
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:44 am
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: Did Adi Shankaracharya defeat Buddhism?
Replies: 42
Views: 420

Re: Did Adi Shankaracharya defeat Buddhism?

If atman knowable
If nibbana knowable
That is in theory
Practically , unless one attained to the state
Comparison just remains
If one is an arhat he won't bother about atman
If one attained atman he don't bother either
by sentinel
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:38 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: SN22.79 Fabricate the fabricated?
Replies: 29
Views: 317

Re: SN22.79 Fabricate the fabricated?

retrofuturist wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:03 am

Well since the sutta Sarath quoted says "consciousness is a conditioned phenomenon", you'll just have to abide that implausibility.

Metta,
Paul. :)
Ha , the eyes ears consciousness could be there , the thought probably never been there .
A baby look at an apple , is there fabrication ?
by sentinel
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:23 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: What is the difference between Citta and Vinnana?
Replies: 47
Views: 489

Re: What is the difference between Citta and Vinnana?

Dinsdale wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:17 am
sentinel wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:11 am
Dinsdale wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:02 am
And your point is?
You provide the specimen before able to examine it . At least you know what is the eyes , ears , nose , tongue , body .
Where do your thoughts arise?
That is an assumption .
by sentinel
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:11 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: What is the difference between Citta and Vinnana?
Replies: 47
Views: 489

Re: What is the difference between Citta and Vinnana?

Dinsdale wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:02 am
And your point is?
You provide the specimen before able to examine it . At least you know what is the eyes , ears , nose , tongue , body .
by sentinel
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:55 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: What is the difference between Citta and Vinnana?
Replies: 47
Views: 489

Re: What is the difference between Citta and Vinnana?

Do we knows what and where the mind base is ?the fact is we don't have a clue .
by sentinel
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:43 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: SN22.79 Fabricate the fabricated?
Replies: 29
Views: 317

Re: SN22.79 Fabricate the fabricated?

retrofuturist wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:35 am
Greetings Sentinel,
sentinel wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:32 am
How do you relate preparing "everything" to vinnana ?
That vinnana is prepared...

Metta,
Paul. :)
Unlikely , If the second link onwards every link about preparation , that's sounds implausible . Buddha would not waste time explaining on each link then .
by sentinel
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:32 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: SN22.79 Fabricate the fabricated?
Replies: 29
Views: 317

Re: SN22.79 Fabricate the fabricated?

I repeat - they're all preparations. From Nanavira's Shorter Note: Sankhara the word sankhāra, in all contexts, means 'something that something else depends on', that is to say a determination (determinant). if there were no such things as sankhārā there would be no such thing as paticcasamuppāda a...
by sentinel
Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:28 am
Forum: Samatha Bhāvana
Topic: How to see dependent origination in meditation?
Replies: 50
Views: 544

Re: How to see dependent origination in meditation?

What do you mean? States of fear, joy etc are objects/dhamma. Nibbana is also an object. You are always aware of something(object) even if that object is nothingness/voidness etc. There is, monks, an unborn[1] — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated. If there were not that unborn — unbecome — unmade — u...
by sentinel
Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:23 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: SN22.79 Fabricate the fabricated?
Replies: 29
Views: 317

Re: SN22.79 Fabricate the fabricated?

Greetings, It's not that complicated. It's anything that is fabricated, dependent upon avijja. Though for the world outside they appear as preparations, for the arahant they are not preparations, because they do not prepare a bhava, or existence, for him. They are made ineffective. Similarly, the p...
by sentinel
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:06 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: SN22.79 Fabricate the fabricated?
Replies: 29
Views: 317

Re: SN22.79 Fabricate the fabricated?

So , it is clear that something is made out of the five aggregates that is called sankhara . However , to determine sankhara in dependent origination is referring to what exactly that is undecided .