Search found 1677 matches

by Coëmgenu
Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:28 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Slavic Buddhism vs Western Buddhism
Replies: 40
Views: 1101

Re: Slavic Buddhism vs Western Buddhism

retrofuturist wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:39 am
Greetings,
Coëmgenu wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:30 pm
Karma
In what context do you say that? In the context of past lives (which the Buddha taught) or "collective karma" (which is hokum, not found in the Buddha's teaching).

Metta,
Paul. :)
No thank you, I think the matter is best left ambiguous.
by Coëmgenu
Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:30 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Slavic Buddhism vs Western Buddhism
Replies: 40
Views: 1101

Re: Slavic Buddhism vs Western Buddhism

Is there a tribunal in any country of this world that would punish the son of a person for what his father did ? An innocent person punished for the deed of another different person ? This is the argument that I bring to christians that claim people born without hands or feet, with mental handicaps...
by Coëmgenu
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:22 am
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: Off topic from: If you think you're going to get anywhere with theory
Replies: 23
Views: 404

Re: Off topic from: If you think you're going to get anywhere with theory

Thanks again for your answers Budho and willingness to discuss, lets test the metal of your theory or statement. I am struggling with a few things, firstly are you limiting Buddha to an historical person, that lived 2,500 years ago. You should join a Mahāyāna forum. Actually, you shouldn't, because...
by Coëmgenu
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:50 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Authenticity. From: Why Read the Suttas?
Replies: 33
Views: 520

Re: Why Read the Suttas?

Balance is key, middle way is key, but what is the essence of majjima nikaya majjima middle, intermediate Ni without Kaya Body the wisdom of Formless teachings What is the definition of form and body in the suttas Is this your own private reflection or are you trying to argue that these words seman...
by Coëmgenu
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:58 am
Forum: Early Buddhism
Topic: Are there two types of satipaṭṭhāna; where one type has jhana?
Replies: 34
Views: 842

Re: Are there two types of satipaṭṭhāna; where one type has jhana?

Are you not Mahayana? If not then sorry... As for the suttas, take it up with Ajahn Sujato. Ooooh sounds like an ad hom Why don't u actually address the argument? The Platform Sutra is a forgery. This scripture is not. If we called all composites "forgeries" most of your Buddhavacana is gone. Wheth...
by Coëmgenu
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:14 pm
Forum: Early Buddhism
Topic: Are there two types of satipaṭṭhāna; where one type has jhana?
Replies: 34
Views: 842

Re: Are there two types of satipaṭṭhāna; where one type has jhana?

Ooooh sounds like an ad hom

Why don't u actually address the argument?

The Platform Sutra is a forgery. This scripture is not.

If we called all composites "forgeries" most of your Buddhavacana is gone.
by Coëmgenu
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:05 pm
Forum: Early Buddhism
Topic: Are there two types of satipaṭṭhāna; where one type has jhana?
Replies: 34
Views: 842

Re: Are there two types of satipaṭṭhāna; where one type has jhana?

If the Satipatthana is a forgery why does any of this matter? :weep: It's not a forgery. That's stupid, and people shouldn't be saying that, because it is a boldfaced lie. If it is a "forgery", than almost ALL of your Buddhavacana is fake. Someone took bits of X and Y suttāni and inserted them into...
by Coëmgenu
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:41 pm
Forum: Early Buddhism
Topic: Are there two types of satipaṭṭhāna; where one type has jhana?
Replies: 34
Views: 842

Re: Are there two types of satipaṭṭhāna; where one type has jhana?

If the Satipatthana is a forgery why does any of this matter? :weep: It's not a forgery. That's stupid, and people shouldn't be saying that, because it is a boldfaced lie. If it is a "forgery", than almost ALL of your Buddhavacana is fake. Someone took bits of X and Y suttāni and inserted them into...
by Coëmgenu
Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:17 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: strange stuff in the sutta
Replies: 9
Views: 196

Re: strange stuff in the sutta

1) the buddha shrink his penis into his body to perform a miracle to convince a sceptic that he is a holy man Comment: when i read this from mahjima nikaya i assumed this might be something added in later on. But after i recently purchased a copy of suttanipatta, i come across the same account in t...
by Coëmgenu
Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:19 pm
Forum: Pāli
Topic: what are the different words for "seeing"?
Replies: 1
Views: 93

Re: what are the different words for "seeing"?

frank k wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:06 pm
naña dassana = knowledge and vision.
See also the Sanskrit darshana (my cell phone has no diacritics), perhaps in their context of the Mahaayaana Darshanamargha ("path of seeing"), also in its usage in Hinduism, usually translated as just "seeing".
by Coëmgenu
Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:29 pm
Forum: Suggestion box
Topic: I suggest having a consistent policy regarding the discussion of views
Replies: 12
Views: 319

Re: I suggest having a consistent policy regarding the discussion of views

Sam Vara wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:47 pm
Coëmgenu wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:38 pm
Case and point, Sam Vara, this post of your's is meta-discussion. You should remove it.
I'll let it stand, thanks. Every moderating comment is ipso facto meta-discussion: what else could it be?
Exaaaaaactly.
by Coëmgenu
Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:38 pm
Forum: Suggestion box
Topic: I suggest having a consistent policy regarding the discussion of views
Replies: 12
Views: 319

Re: I suggest having a consistent policy regarding the discussion of views

Sam Vara wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:51 pm
rightviewftw wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:44 pm

Cat got your fingers... ok
No, just following the procedure and not engaging in meta-discussion here.
Case and point, Sam Vara, this post of your's is meta-discussion. You should remove it.
by Coëmgenu
Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:14 pm
Forum: Suggestion box
Topic: I suggest having a consistent policy regarding the discussion of views
Replies: 12
Views: 319

Re: I suggest having a consistent policy regarding the discussion of views

I'm coming out of DhammaWheel hiding to say this, but if meta-discussion is not allowed, you need to get rid of this suggestion box.

It's nothing but metadiscussion. Like this post that I don't feel bad about posting. Because the rules against metadiscussion are a) stupid and b) constantly broken.
by Coëmgenu
Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:30 pm
Forum: Pāli
Topic: "ta" in arahatta
Replies: 1
Views: 100

"ta" in arahatta

[Split from another thread]
Dhammanando wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:10 am
With the arising of the path of arahatta, bhava and avijjā āsava are destroyed.
If it please you, is the "ta" in arahatta here the same 'ta' what forms adjectives like in suñña
?
by Coëmgenu
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:15 pm
Forum: Suggestion box
Topic: Re: Free speech, mere offense, direct harm & antisemitism
Replies: 168
Views: 4091

Re: Free speech, mere offense, direct harm & antisemitism

Greetings Coëmgenu, My posts are directly relevant to the OP, they just upset you. I'm not upset, and in fact, I find your insolence mildly entertaining. That said, I am genuinely disappointed at your ongoing failures to abide by all manners of the Terms of Service. 2d. Unsubstantiated allegations ...