to fulfill a promise

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
alan

Re: to fulfill a promise

Post by alan »

Tilt vs. Virgo= Too much.
Ben

Post by Ben »

tiltbillings wrote:
alan wrote:That is a decent answer. But most of us only know you through your dog-faced personae.
Who is the real Tilt?
Actually, it is a jackal. As for for the who is the real Tilt Billings, you'd have to ask Leo Kottke.
Indeed, i was wondering when your good taste in music would come out!
Thanks for the gecho anecdote. Poignant, yet very funny!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan wrote:Tilt vs. Virgo= Too much.
Not necessarily.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
alan

Post by alan »

Tilt=must have last word.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Alan,
alan wrote:What is this new thing of which you speak? Didn't quite get that.
*here is your opportunity to explain, and build a case, for your argument*
If you've seen and followed any of Tilt's discussions with Virgo, you'll get the idea. If that answer doesn't satisfy your curiosity, do a search on the word 'reify' or 'reified'.

Frankly I hope it doesn't come up again for a while, as I'm rather enjoying the break from it.

Metta,
Retro. :)
The Virgo business is a side show, but not without its importance. To answer Alan's question:

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... =20#p46935

and any thread on non-dualism
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan wrote:Tilt=must have last word.
Not necessarily.

alan

Post by alan »

Which proves the point.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan wrote:Which proves the point.
Not necessarily.

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Ben wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
alan wrote:That is a decent answer. But most of us only know you through your dog-faced personae.
Who is the real Tilt?
Actually, it is a jackal. As for for the who is the real Tilt Billings, you'd have to ask Leo Kottke.
Indeed, i was wondering when your good taste in music would come out!
Thanks for the gecho anecdote. Poignant, yet very funny!
Tilt Billings:

If I were female, I would have taken the name Mona Ray:

And just for good measure:

Ben

Post by Ben »

We definitely need a shrine to Leo Kottke on DW!
I wouldn't blame you re: Mona Ray.
I loved it when he did Little Martha (by Duane Allman).

I've known the Allman piece for years and when I heard Leo's treatment - I can't explain it...
Airproofing: How beautiful is that?
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Lovely pictures...nice to see young you Tilt and also the young Ajahn Munindo.
I remember him saying that when he went back to New Zealand to visit his family his mother refused to use his ordination name. ( which was different then , it was later changed at his request by Luang Por Sumedho..)
Anyway he would be in his robes talking to people who had come to see him and his mum would shout " Keith ! * Would you like anything ? ".
Mums are great levelers aren't they ?

When telling this he would do it in broad Kiwi so it came out like " Kayth ! "......and he would answer " yiss mather !"
Last edited by Sanghamitta on Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Sanghamitta wrote:Lovely pictures...nice to see young you Tilt and also the young Ajahn Munindo.
I remember him saying that when he went back to New Zealand to visit his family his mother refused to use his ordination name. ( which was different then , it was later changed at his request by Luang Por Sumedho..)
Anyway he would be in his robes talking to people who had come to see him and his mum would shout " Keith ! Would you like anything ? ".
Mums are great levelers aren't they ?
His folks were very conservative Christians and really were not wild about his choice of life, but as I remember from what he said, they were good people. And certainly Ven Munindo is one of nature's finer efforts, even before he toddled down the Path. Though I have not kept in touch with him, I do think about him from time to time. The photos I have seen of him, he looks like a man very happy within his own skin. If I were Jewish I'd say he is a real mench.

Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

A real mench indeed. Some of my happiest times have been listening to him addressing small groups, for which he has a kind of genius. The contact high lasts for days.

Actually Tilt did you ever spend time at Chithurst ? In your ordination pic you look very familiar.

Bhikku Bodhi.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Sanghamitta wrote:A real mench indeed. Some of my happiest times have been listening to him addressing small groups, for which he has a kind of genius. The contact high lasts for days.

Actually Tilt did you ever spend time at Chithurst ? In your ordination pic you look very familiar.
Last time I was in England was 1975. So, who ever that good looking guy was, it was not me.

Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

It must have been your bhikkhu doppelganger..

Bhikku Bodhi.