to fulfill a promise

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
alan

Re: to fulfill a promise

Post by alan »

May I also ask why you quit?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan wrote:May I also ask why you quit?
I felt that my life would better lived a bit differently.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
alan

Post by alan »

That is a decent answer. But most of us only know you through your dog-faced personae.
Who is the real Tilt?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan wrote:That is a decent answer. But most of us only know you through your dog-faced personae.
Who is the real Tilt?
Actually, it is a jackal. As for for the who is the real Tilt Billings, you'd have to ask Leo Kottke.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

tiltbillings wrote:
alan wrote:That is a decent answer. But most of us only know you through your dog-faced personae.
Who is the real Tilt?
Actually, it is a jackal. As for for the who is the real Tilt Billings, you'd have to ask Leo Kottke.
:cry: And I thought your name really was Tilt. "What a cool name," I thought to myself.
alan

Post by alan »

Who is the real person hiding behind that jackal?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

thereductor wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
Who is the real Tilt?
:cry: And I thought your name really was Tilt. "What a cool name," I thought to myself.
It is a cool name. I got banned from E-Sandbox because one of the moderators lied about me and doctored an e-mail. I told the him that he could not keep me out of the sandbox. I waited two months, logged back on and other than using a different name I continued to post as I always had, fighting the same battle, quoting the same quotes including quoting myself, and I had a several year career in the sandbox until it self-destructed in a fit of hyper-orthodox-inquisitorial vigil-ism. Who was before I became tiltbillings? That I think I'll keep to myself, given my actual name and whatnot can be traced from it and I have had some bad experiences with that.

alan

Post by alan »

Fair enough. What fight made you so passionate?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan wrote:Fair enough. What fight made you so passionate?
In the Sandbox I was quite willing to defend the Theravada against the unthinking application of the notion that it was hinayana, and in the process give some critique of the Mahayana, the Grandiose Vehicle, which the Mahayanist hardliners got rather cranky about, never really seeing irony of that. And for that I was accused of being a one-issue poster, but actually I had at least two other issues which I liked going on about: the nature of nibbana and the that the bodhi of the arahant is no different from that of the Buddha.

Here I tend to be a bit more general in my focus, though dhammas are not "really existing part-less particles" is one of my new favorites.

Reductor

Post by Reductor »

tiltbillings wrote:That I think I'll keep to myself, given my actual name and whatnot can be traced from it and I have had some bad experiences with that.
A prudent action, I must agree.

But really, Tilt is a cool name. ;)
alan

Post by alan »

You are to be congratulated for your fight against mindless Mahayana nonsense.
*edit--I'll wait and see what response there may be to this*
Last edited by alan on Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

It's always nice to be relieved from maintaining secrets.

:spy:

Tilt is a cool name though... it reminds me of pinball machines.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Alan,
alan wrote:What is this new thing of which you speak? Didn't quite get that.
*here is your opportunity to explain, and build a case, for your argument*
If you've seen and followed any of Tilt's discussions with Virgo, you'll get the idea. If that answer doesn't satisfy your curiosity, do a search on the word 'reify' or 'reified'.

Frankly I hope it doesn't come up again for a while, as I'm rather enjoying the break from it.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
alan

Post by alan »

Just edited my post, sorry.
The mention of the word "reify" makes me sick.
It just does.
Don't even know what it means, but it must be bad.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Oh yeah!... :thumbsup: