to fulfill a promise

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
tiltbillings

to fulfill a promise

Post by tiltbillings »

I promised in another thread some while ago, as I was just reminded, to post photos of my novice ordination. The fellow with whom I ordained went to become Ajahn Munindo, a student of Ajahn Chah and is now abbot of Aruna Ratanagiri. This was in late 1974 at Wat Bowan in Bangkok.
Attachments
me.jpg
me.jpg (138.4 KiB) Viewed 4328 times
Keith Morgan.jpg
Keith Morgan.jpg (124.83 KiB) Viewed 4328 times
who are these guys.jpg
who are these guys.jpg (84.16 KiB) Viewed 4328 times
ordination.jpg
ordination.jpg (122.63 KiB) Viewed 4328 times
newnovices.jpg
newnovices.jpg (89.69 KiB) Viewed 4328 times
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Reductor

Re: to fulfill a promise

Post by Reductor »

You're the bespectacled one, right?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

thereductor wrote:You're the bespectacled one, right?
Bespeckled I am.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ben

Post by Ben »

Great photos Tilt!
One of these days, you might like to write up some of your experiences as a novice.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

tiltbillings wrote:
thereductor wrote:You're the bespectacled one, right?
Bespeckled I am.
Why didn't you take higher ordination? If you don't mind the question.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Ben wrote:Great photos Tilt!
One of these days, you might like to write up some of your experiences as a novice.
kind regards

Ben
Not really much to say. It was a "rains" retreat, which I took after the real rains retreat time. I wanted to see if the ordained life was for me. It wasn't, but I did get a lot out of it. No great stories, but small things such as alms rounds, which was a practice of great gratitude for the great generosity of the people who so kindly gave us food.

During a class with the abbot there was an American visitor who was recounting a very grim and serious story of his life, being crippled by arthritis, his struggles with meditation and such. While this was going on for some reason I glanced up at the ceiling of the room and there was a gecko stalking a very large moth. It was mesmerizing the life and death drama taking place over head. Slowly the gecko, upside down, moved towards its prey, all the while this difficult story is being told. I glanced around. No one else saw what I was looking at it, all being transfixed by this man's story. When the gecko got close enough, it shot forward, grabbing the huge moth in its mouth. The weight of the moth was too much for the gecko and it fell to the floor, landing exactly in front of the abbot's scabrous old dog, startling it. It jumped up, let out yip and bolted out the door. That was the damned funniest thing I ever saw in my whole life. Stifling a my laughter with what sounded like a cough, I stood up, gave a quick bow to the abbot and followed the scabrous old dog out the door, getting as far away from that room so I could laugh with tears steaming out of my eyes, collapsing to the ground in laughter. Some of the Thai monks passing by thought I had gone crazy.

Keith and I got to spend a week at Wat Ba Pong in the meditation hall with Ajahn Chah's recently dead mother. That was good time. I got to spend a lot of time with Ajahn Sumedho. He was very kind to me. We talked about Dhamma and bugs and whatever else. I learned a lot from him.

plwk

Post by plwk »

Those were the days when faces were made to hold glasses the size of a espresso cup's saucer... :tongue:
alan

Post by alan »

This is the first time I've seen you as a real person. Suspect the same is true for many others.
Last edited by alan on Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan wrote:Good to know you are a real person. It doesn't always come out on you posts.
Always the subtle one, you are, Alan.

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

plwk wrote:Those were the days when faces were made to hold glasses the size of a espresso cup's saucer... :tongue:
Hey!! Those were very stylish glasses. And very heavy glasses. I'd been in a fuzzy world without them.

alan

Post by alan »

Always the mysterious one you are!
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan wrote:Always the mysterious one you are!
But as you now see, I am the good looking one.

alan

Post by alan »

Certainly. As a fellow eyeglass-wearing, silly long haired person, may I ask what year this was?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan wrote:Certainly. As a fellow eyeglass-wearing, silly long haired person, may I ask what year this was?
OP: "This was in late 1974 at Wat Bowan in Bangkok."

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

tiltbillings wrote:
plwk wrote:Those were the days when faces were made to hold glasses the size of a espresso cup's saucer... :tongue:
Hey!! Those were very stylish glasses. And very heavy glasses. I'd been in a fuzzy world without them.
Yes, very stylish back then...

Thanks for the pictures...

:anjali:
Mike