PeterB

Re: Pali formulas and sentences

Post by PeterB »

Thank you Dukkhanirodha..

:anjali:
Sekha

Post by Sekha »

This would be an interesting thread, but I don't have the time to keep it up. Although it would be of great benefit, I still have too many even more important and beneficial things to do.

If anyone wants to take it over...
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Dukkhanirodha wrote:This would be an interesting thread, but I don't have the time to keep it up. Although it would be of great benefit, I still have too many even more important and beneficial things to do.
If anyone wants to take it over...
Hi DN,

You've done a great job with this thread. I'll try and add some phrases too when I get the chance.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Ādibrahmacariyaka-sīla

'morality of genuine pure conduct', consists in right speech, right bodily action and right livelihood, forming the 3rd, 4th and 5th links of the 8-fold path see: sacca IV.3, 4, 5; cf. Vis.M I. In A. II, 86 it is said:

With regard to those moral states connected with and corresponding to the genuine pure conduct, he is morally strong, morally firm and trains himself in the moral rules taken up by himself. After overcoming the 3 mental chains ego-belief, skeptic doubt and attachment to mere rules and ritual; see: samyojana he becomes one who will be 'reborn 7 times at most' see: sotāpanna and after only seven times more wandering through this round of rebirths amongst men and divine beings, he will put an end to suffering.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Ādīnavānupassanā-ñāna

'knowledge consisting in contemplation of danger', is one of the 8 kinds of insight vipassanā that form the 'purification of the knowledge and vision of the path-progress see: visuddhi VI. 4. It is further one of the 18 chief kinds of insight.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Vitakka-vicāra

'thought-conception and discursive thinking', or 'applied and sustained thought' are verbal functions vacī-sankhāra see: sankhāra of the mind, the so-called 'inner speech parole interieure They are constituents of the 1st absorption see: Jhanas but absent in the higher absorptions.

1. Thought-conception vitakka is the laying hold of a thought, giving it attention. Its characteristic consists in fixing the consciousness to the object.

2. Discursive thinking vicara is the roaming about and moving to and fro of the mind. It manifests itself as continued activity of mind; Vis.M IV.

1 is compared with the striking against a bell, 2 with its resounding; 1 with the seizing of a pot, 2 with wiping it. Cf. Vis. IV..
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Visesa-bhāgiya-sīla

morality concentration, understanding connected with progress'
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Viriya-sambojjhanga

'energy as link to Awakening', is one of the 7 factors of enlightenment; bojjhanga.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Vippayutta-paccaya

'dissociation', is one of the 24 conditions; paccaya.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Vipāka-paccaya

'kamma-result condition' is one of the 24 conditions; paccaya.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Viññāna-tthiti

'abodes or supports of consciousness'. The texts describe 7 such abodes e.g. A. VII, 41:

1: There are beings who are different in body and different in perception, such as men, some divine beings, and some beings living in states of suffering see: apāya. This is the 1st abode of consciousness.

2: There are beings who are different in body but equal in perception, such as the first-born gods of the Brahmaworld see: deva II. This is the 2nd abode of consciousness.

3: There are beings who are equal in body but different in perception, such as the Radiant Gods ābhassara-deva This is the 3rd abode of consciousness.

4: There are beings who are equal in body and equal in perception, such as the All-illuminating Gods subhakinha-deva This is the 4th abode of consciousness.

5: There are beings... reborn in the sphere of Infinite space. This is the 5th abode of consciousness.

6: There are beings... reborn in the sphere of Infinite consciousness. This is the 6th abode of consciousness.

7: There are beings... reborn in the sphere of nothingness. This is the 7th abode of consciousnes

In D. 33 there are mentioned 4 viññāna-tthiti apparently in the sense of 'bases' of consciousness, namely: materiality, feeling, perception, mental constructions, which in see: XXII, 53 are further explained.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Viññāna-kicca

'functions of consciousness', as exercised within a process of consciousness or cognitive series cittavīthi In the Abhidhamma Com. and Vis.M XIV the following functions are mentioned: rebirth patisandhi subconsciousness bhavanga, directing āvajjana seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting, body-consciousness; recciving sampaticchana investigating santīrana determining votthapana, impulsion javana registering tadārammana dying cuti.

A single unit of sense-perception e.g. visual consciousness, being conditioned through a sense-organ and its corresponding object, forms in reality an extremely complex process, in which all the single phases of consciousness follow one upon another in rapid succession, while performing their respective functions, e.g.:

As soon as a visible object has entered the range of vision, it acts on the sensitive eye-organ cakkhu-pasāda and conditioned thereby an excitation of the subconscious stream bhavanga-sota takes place.

As soon, however, as subconsciousness is broken off, the functional mind-element see: Tab. I, 70, grasping the object and breaking through the subconscious stream, performs the function of 'adverting' the mind towards the object āvajjana.

Immediately thereupon there arises at the eye-door, and based on the sensitive eye-organ, the visual-consciousness, while performing the function of 'seeing' dassana... Immediately thereafter there arises the mind-element Tab

I, 39, 55 performing the function of 'receiving' sampaticchana the object of that consciousness.

Immediately thereafter there arises... the mind-consciousness-element Tab. I, 40, 41, 56, while 'investigating' santirana the object received by the mind-element...

Immediately thereafter there arises the functional, rootless mind-consciousness-element Tab. I, 71, accompanied by indifference, while performing the function of 'determining' votthapana the object.

Now, if the object is large, then immediately afterwards there flash forth 6 or 7 'impulse moments' javana-citta, constituted by one of the 8 advantageous, or 12 disadvantageous, or 9 functional classes of consciousness Tab. I, 1-8; 22-23; 72-80.

Now, if at the end of the impulse moments, the object at the five-sense doors is very large, and at the mind-door clear, then there arises, once or twice, one of the 8 root-accompanied, kamma-resultant classes of consciousness Tab. I, 42-49 of the sense-sphere, or one of the 3 rootless kamma-resultant mind-consciousness-elements Tab. I, 40, 41, 56. Because this consciousness after the vanishing of the impulse moments, possesses the ability continuing with the object of the subconsciousness, taking the object of the subconsciousness as its own object, therefore it is called 'registering' tadārarmmana lit. 'that object', or 'having that as object'; Vis.M XIV, 115ff.

If, however, the sense-object is weak, then it reaches merely the stage of 'impulsion'javana or of 'determining' votthapana if very weak, only an excitation ot the subconsciousness takes place.

The proeess of the inner or mind-consciousness, i.e. without participation of the 5 physical senses, is as follows: in the case that the mind-objeet entering the mind-door is distinct, then it passes through the stages of 'directing at the mind-door' manodvārāvajjana the 'impulse stage' and the 'registering stage', before finally sinking into the subconscious stream. - App.: citta-vīthi.

Literature: Aids to the Abhidhamma Philosophy, by Dr. C.B Dharmasena with colour chart of the Cognitive Series; WHEEL 63/64. - The Psychology and Philosophy of Buddhism, by Dr. W. F. Javasuriya Buddhist Missionary Socy., Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Vikubbanā-iddhi

the 'power of transconstruction', is one of the magical abilities; Iddhi.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Vikkhambhana-pahāna

'overcoming by repression' or 'suspension', is one of the 5 kinds of overcoming pahana.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

vijja-carana-sampanno

[vijjaa-cara.na-sampanno]

Consummate in knowledge and conduct; accomplished in the conduct leading to awareness or cognitive skill. An epithet for the Buddha.