Why is parent permission require to be ordain?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Wind

Why is parent permission require to be ordain?

Post by Wind »

When the Buddha decided to go forth into homelessness, I recall his father the King did not approve and his wife certainly did not want him to leave. Yet he made the decision to abandon his life as a Prince. Ultimately his decision was noble and lead to his Enlightenment. So I wonder why he made the rule for those who wants to become bhikkhus must get parent's permission?
cooran

Re: Why is parent permission require to be ordain?

Post by cooran »

Hello Wind,

Here is a old thread on Dhamma Wheel which discussed this subject. It inclludes responses from Ven. Dhammanando and Ven. Pesala:

Monasticism and Parental Permission
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1243" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Wind

Post by Wind »

Thanks cooran.

I did see a loophole:
(11) An only son, after quarrelling with his mother and father, comes [to the sangha, saying], "Let me go forth." Upon being told, "Come back after you have obtained leave," he says, "I'm not going! If you don't let me go forth, I shall burn down your monastery, or stab you with a sword, or cause loss to your relatives and supporters by cutting down the plants in their gardens, or kill myself by jumping from a tree, or join a gang of robbers, or go to another country!"

It is suitable to let him go forth in order to safeguard life. If his mother and father then come and say, "Why did you let our son go forth?" they should be informed of the reason for it, saying, "We let him go forth in order to safeguard life. You may confirm this with your son."
haha :lol:
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

:jumping:
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta