yoga

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
jcsuperstar

yoga

Post by jcsuperstar »

i cant believe there's not a yoga thread yet...

so I'll start it.
I'm gonna start practicing yoga next week i think (Monday) those yoga for meditation videos really inspired me. my wife has done yoga for years and i think it's time i gave it a shot, though i'm not using those videos. maybe after awhile I'll try those.

who else here does yoga. has it helped your practice?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
cooran

Re: yoga

Post by cooran »

Hello JC, all,

What style/school of yoga are you thinking of? I don't do yoga now, but I used to practice with a group taught by a Chan monk for a semester or two, but that was a few years back.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Hi, JC,
Yoga has come up a few times before. Here's one thread I remembered well enough to locate:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3577
:namaste:
Kim
alan

Post by alan »

Don't know how I ever lived without it.
-edited to add a bit more. Has it helped with practice? Yes, because full lotus is now comfortable. And the strength gains in the lower back/abs make it easier to sit for longer periods.

If you are going to start a new program, why not add some rigorous exercise? Yoga, resistance training, and rigorous exercise all work together. You can do something as simple as speed-walking up the stairs instead of using an elevator.

I'm all for Yoga! I do it every day in the blazing hot sun. Nothing better than sweating and struggling to hold posture! It's an all-around good.
Mukunda

Post by Mukunda »

I started practice of hatha yoga in order to support my sitting practice. After noticing how tense my body was and how tight it got in sitting, I figured Hatha yoga certainly couldn't hurt. The practice notice only helped me physically, but helped me learn to be more mindful of my body and maintain that mindfulness.
LeonBasin

Post by LeonBasin »

I practice Kriya Yoga. Has anyone heard of it?
Leon's Writings: http://www.leonbasin.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thomasmite996

Post by thomasmite996 »

Yoga have many hidden benefits for human body and its organs.
It reduce fat and minimize over weight.
Yoga increase metabolism and control blood pressure of the body.
I doing yoga from 3 months and feel huge different after joining yoga classes.
Yoga have many types and all types have its own feature and benefits.
But in short we can say that it is good and necessarily for maintain healthy life...
befriend

Post by befriend »

people say there meditations are better after a work out, yoga, or chi gong. i do it because when im 60 i want to be comfortable in my body. to me its preventative illness, and helps my meditation. and gives me a sense of well being.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Ben

Post by Ben »

befriend wrote:people say there meditations are better after a work out, yoga, or chi gong. i do it because when im 60 i want to be comfortable in my body. to me its preventative illness, and helps my meditation. and gives me a sense of well being.
But you may not be alive at 60.
Death can come at any time.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
befriend

Post by befriend »

i probably will be. odds are i will live to be old, i could die in the next 2 minutes, but im not going to be paranoid and not be realistic about my body. and if not i feel more comfortable in my body, have a good sense well being, and it helps my meditation. i am not going to not save my money for retirement because i could be struck by lightning. so i shoudlnt do yoga and arm exercises to assuage my inevitable arthritis im going to get when im an old person, which is what my doctor said would happen because i have a bad shoulder? maybe i should stop doing yoga, then when i DO turn 60 i can be all hunched over and have arthritis and sore muscles. becaue i was so consumed with the fragility of life, because i never did my best.think realistically. percentage wise i will live long, disease might come, best to prevent it with yoga or chi gong, and meditation and right living.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.