Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

How old do you have to be to become a Novice Monk and an fully ordained monk. I will be turning 18 in september and an really considering monkhood.
the Buddha said :

"Intention, monks, is karma, I say. Having willed, one acts through body, speech and mind."
jcsuperstar

Re: Age

Post by jcsuperstar »

to be a monk you have to be at least 20 and no matter how old you need your parents blessings.

i think it's 8 or 9 to be a novice. but there may be no age limit i'm not really sure.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Sobeh

Post by Sobeh »

You have to be 20 for ordination iirc, but you might end up spending a year or so at the anagaraka/samaneri stages which means you could start at age 19 or perhaps even now. It would really depend on where you wanted to ordain I think.
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

Thanks for your responses. when im 18 I most likely will go look for a monestary and look into novice ordination. I also know that my parents would give me their blessings because they know how much spirituality means to me. I think they might think its a good thing!
the Buddha said :

"Intention, monks, is karma, I say. Having willed, one acts through body, speech and mind."
Almaril

Post by Almaril »

Where do you live, if I might ask?
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The minimum age for bhikkhu ordination is actually 20 years from conception — so about 19 years and 3 months or a bit more if you were a premature baby.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)