Suggestions, Comments and Feedback for the Study Group

Where we gather to focus on a single discourse or thematic collection from the Sutta Piṭaka (new selection every two weeks)
convivium

Re: Suggestions, Comments and Feedback for the Study Group

Post by convivium »

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by convivium on Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hey JC, have we gone through the Digha yet?
I don't have a copy of Maurice Walshe's translation though I;m sure enough of our sutta wallahs do to make it worthwhile.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

i dont think it is all online but i'd love to if someone can find the missing suttas that a2i doesnt have
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
mud

Post by mud »

On the title it would be helpful to have which Nikaya the sutta is from as well as the name
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

jcsuperstar wrote:i dont think it is all online but i'd love to if someone can find the missing suttas that a2i doesnt have
This site has some of the suttas that A2I doesn't, though sometimes the translations are a little rough:
http://awake.kiev.ua/dhamma/tipitaka/2S ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike
Peace

Re: Study Group Schedule

Post by Peace »

Thank you for the pdf on Bhikkhu Bodhi's syllabus for the study of the Majjhima Nikaya. Can you direct me to Bikkhu Bodhi's syllabus on the study of the Digha Nikaya (or any of the other nikayas)? I'm reading them through, but I would like a more direct path to topical studies.

Peace.
mikenz66

Re: Study Group Schedule

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Peace,

I'm not aware of comprehensive guides to the other Nikayas, though Bhikkhu Bohdhi's book, In the Buddha's Words, makes extensive use of the SN, so I think that's a good place to start for an overview.

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Where to next?

Post by mikenz66 »

Discerning readers will have noticed that we have finished working through the Sutta Nipata.

I am continuing with the Samyutta Nipata, following the ordering suggested by Bhikkhu Bodhi (see above), but I think it's useful to alternate this with some other Suttas.

I have a small number of suttas suggested by members, but other suggestions would be most welcome. One possibility would be to work through the Udana in parallel with the SN.

Mike
khaaan

Post by khaaan »

If it's not too much trouble, could you include a link to a Pali version of the sutta?
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

I would like to recommend some Digha Nikaya II/III. I thought it might be interesting to explore, given that this section of the Nikayas is largely considered to be later.

What are we to make of the fantastic nature of it? What did the original hearers of the Sutta likely think? Is there doubt about Suttas with fantastic elements? &c.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Khaaan,
khaaan wrote:If it's not too much trouble, could you include a link to a Pali version of the sutta?
The Access to Insight translations have links to the Pali versions (see the "PTS" links at the top of each sutta). Another good resource is http://www.suttacentral.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which gives access to Pali and translated versions.

Mike
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

daverupa wrote:I would like to recommend some Digha Nikaya II/III. I thought it might be interesting to explore, given that this section of the Nikayas is largely considered to be later.

What are we to make of the fantastic nature of it? What did the original hearers of the Sutta likely think? Is there doubt about Suttas with fantastic elements? &c.
Sure, though some of the more interesting ones don't have very good on-line translations.

Mike
Samvega

Post by Samvega »

Hello all,

I've currently begun reading Analayo's seminal work Satipatthana: The direct path to realization

I realized quickly after having so many 'ah ha!' moments that I needed somebody that I could discuss it with. I haven't been able to generate much interest locally for a book study group, but perhaps I could host one on Dhammawheel. Would it be possible to start a book study for this book on the forum? I would be glad to host it and set the "due dates".
Beneath the Wheel

Post by Beneath the Wheel »

What timing - I just got that same book myself, and I would love to have some folks to go through it with. I don't feel like I'll be able to fully appreciate it on my own.

Consider me very interested.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Samvega,

Thank you very much for the suggestion and offer. I'm not certain if this forum, or the meditation forum, is the best place for such a discussion. However, since this forum is called "Study Group", not "Sutta Study Group" we might as well get started here and we could always move it if it seemed that somewhere else was more appropriate. It would be great if you could try to think out some structured way of approaching it, and give some guidance. An obvious approach would be to discuss it chapter by chapter.

I would advise not being in too much of a rush. Looking at each chapter over a couple of weeks would be the sort of speed I'd recommend. That would give interested readers time to think, and locate references.

Something useful you (and others) could do would be to locate on-line versions of the footnotes as we go through, and give links and extracts.
Many suttas, the Satipatthana Commentary http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... wayof.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and the Visuddhimagga, are on http://www.accesstoinsight.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.suttacentral.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; can be really helpful because it links not only A2I, but also MettaNet http://www.metta.lk/tipitaka/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and some on-line BPS publications: http://www.bps.lk/onlinelibrary_wheels.asp#trans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike