Buddha Statues facing East

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
Refugee

Buddha Statues facing East

Post by Refugee »

I have come across suggestions that Buddha Statues in our shrines should face the East, because the Buddha's enlightenment occurred whilst He was sitting, facing East, under the Bhodi Tree. Then, again, there is the suggestion that when meditating we should also face the East. If we adhere to both these suggestions, then our backs will be towards the Buddha Statues in our shrines. :?

Presently, the Buddha Statues on my shrine face the East and I sit in meditation in front of the shrine, facing West. I do not have access to a Sangha, Buddhist temples or meditation centres in the region I live, so I will appreciate any advice in this matter.

With kind regards,
Tim
My practice is simply this: Avoid evil, do good, and purify the mind.
bodom

Re: Buddha Statues facing East

Post by bodom »

It is nothing more than rites and rituals.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

bodom wrote:It is nothing more than rites and rituals.
I agree.

Once a Korean woman and her family were at my previous house and they were complaining that my Buddha statues were not facing East. I also felt that it was just clinging to rites and rituals. In my current home, the statues are all facing East, but that has more to do with the fact that my condo / home faces East and it was the best way to place the statues.

I asked a Sri Lankan monk about this and he said it doesn't matter to him either and he also places the statues whichever way looks best, not the direction.
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

"Strive for your own liberation with diligence"

I don't think Feng Shui is important.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

The Bodhisatta was born between two Sal trees and as soon as he was born, he took seven steps to the north and announced: “I am chief in the world, I am best in the world, I am first in the world. This is my last birth. There will be no further rebirths.”

The Bodhisatta was sitting under the Bodhi Tree facing East when he became enlightened.

Just before his parinibbana, at his request, the Buddha laid on his right side with his head pointing north and facing west, under two Sal trees.

These are the traditional postures. The Buddha thought it important enough to deliberately use these postures.

When you go to Kusinara you can see the BuddhaRupa facing west:
http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/bud ... ilgrim.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However - as statues of the Buddha did not appear for hundreds of years after his death, one can wonder at the very use of statues themselves not just their positioning.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Refugee wrote:
Presently, the Buddha Statues on my shrine face the East and I sit in meditation in front of the shrine, facing West. I do not have access to a Sangha, Buddhist temples or meditation centres in the region I live, so I will appreciate any advice in this matter.
If it has meaning for you, then don't pay a bit of attention to any of the naysayers.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

tiltbillings wrote: If it has meaning for you, then don't pay a bit of attention to any of the naysayers.
Tilt has an extremely good point here. On one level there are many thing that are "not essential". However, they are useful aids to mindfulness, respectful behaviour, and fitting into a community. These include taking off shoes, not pointing feet at monks or Buddha rupa, trying to use the locally-accepted method for bowing, and even such silly-sounding things as not smelling flowers one is going to present to the Wat. Clearly none of this is "essential", but if one wandered around inside a Buddhist meditation hall with shoes on it would certainly generate a lot of negativity.

Getting back to the Buddha Rupa. It may not be feasible to have statues facing east, but the thinking about it, and the possible rearrangement of the room to do it, may be a useful reminder that one has taken refuge in the Buddha, which I think is the main point of having any statues in the first place.

Mike
Guy

Post by Guy »

At the Dhamma Center I go to the Buddha statue is facing West. Ajahn Brahm says that if the Buddha statue wasn't happy he'd turn around and face East by himself.
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Guy wrote:At the Dhamma Center I go to the Buddha statue is facing West. Ajahn Brahm says that if the Buddha statue wasn't happy he'd turn around and face East by himself.
If it does not have meaning for Ajahn B having the Buddha-rupa facing east, does that mean it should not have meaning for anyone else?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Guy

Post by Guy »

tiltbillings wrote:If it does not have meaning for Ajahn B having the Buddha-rupa facing east, does that mean it should not have meaning for anyone else?
No, that wasn't what I was saying. Ajahn Brahm made the joke to illustrate that it doesn't appear (to him) to be so important, personally I agree, others might not. If facing our Buddha rupa's at home towards the East is an external expression of our internal devotion then that's good. Perhaps we agree on this point. But the internal aspect of devotion, in my opinion, is much more important than simply following external protocols without understanding their symbolic meaning.
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Well said, Guy.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

retrofuturist wrote:Well said, Guy.

Metta,
Retro.
Yes. I agree; thanks, Guy. I guess I needed to see Ajahn Brahm laughing at his own joke to see that it was a joke. Didn't mean to be so glum.

appicchato

Post by appicchato »

A side of you I hadn't seen before tilt... there's hope after all... :smile:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

appicchato wrote:A side of you I hadn't seen before tilt... there's hope after all... :smile:
Which side? Getting cranky?

alan

Post by alan »

We luv you even when you're cranky. :smile:

Good to know that an old dog can find some humor in this life!