Partless particles and moments

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Partless particles and moments

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

If a phenomena truly exists it is either one thing or many things. No phenomena can be one thing because no phenomena is a single thing, it has parts. It has a front, a middle or a back, a beginning, duration and end, etc. Neither can it be many things. Each of the parts can themselves be divided into smaller units, ad infinitum. We never reach partless units to serve as building blocks of time and space. A string has extension, a moment has extension. Therefore all phenomena do not exist from their own side, they are like dreams, reflections, echoes, fictions, images and appearances.
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
bodom

Re: Partless particles and moments

Post by bodom »

Emptiness.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Heavenstorm

Post by Heavenstorm »

Actually modern science already reveal the fact that there is no such things as partless particles joining together as one , the notion of a physical object is nothing more than countless of dotlike particles surrounding by vast empty space while interacting with each other using electromagnetic force and other invisible fundamental forces.

Our feeling/sense of touch is caused by nothing more than a effect due to electromagnetic repulsion and our sense sight is merely due to the reflection of visible light, a form of electromagnetic spectrum.
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

bodom_bad_boy wrote: Emptiness.
Of all phenomena. Not just self.
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
kowtaaia

Post by kowtaaia »

Friday evening on PBS (check your listings):

Program: 'Independent Lens'.

"The Atom Smashers: Physicists search for the Higgs Boson, a particle important to the understanding of how the universe is held together."
Where thought arises and where it dissolves,
There you should abide, O my son.

http://www.buddhistlounge.com/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote:... they are like dreams, reflections, echoes, fictions, images and appearances.
But if my neighbor is hungry or otherwise in need, I'm going to act like it's real.
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

kowtaaia wrote:Friday evening on PBS (check your listings):

Program: 'Independent Lens'.

"The Atom Smashers: Physicists search for the Higgs Boson, a particle important to the understanding of how the universe is held together."
see thats what i miss about tv, though the pbs up here isnt that great, the one where im from (houston and also the 1st in the US) was awesome
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

Jechbi wrote:
Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote:... they are like dreams, reflections, echoes, fictions, images and appearances.
But if my neighbor is hungry or otherwise in need, I'm going to act like it's real.
That is because you, your neighbor, his/her hunger and whatever action you take are free of unchanging essence or duration of any kind.

I agree that using analogies such as dreams or fictions doesn't work very well because some phenomena have apparent functions which others do not. In other words you cannot drink a mirage.

Metta

Gabriel
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332