The Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
rowyourboat

Re: The Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge

Post by rowyourboat »

tried to remain today with a mind of metta, saddha, and dana for much of it as possible. Feel much happier for it.
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
bodom

Post by bodom »

30 minutes walking / 30 minutes sitting.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

Had my hour session interupted tonight so was only able to get 30 minutes of walking in. Better than nothing i guess. :smile:

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Guy

Post by Guy »

Today I walked for 100 minutes then sat for 60 minutes. Quite a lot of restlessness while I was walking so I walked for an extra 40 minutes than I originally intended to try to test out this restless feeling (a technique I have tried before). It seemed to come in waves, at first it got more intense, sometimes it was totally absent and I was very peaceful by the time I came to sit. But then while I was sitting I went the other way and slipped into some dullness a little bit when I tried to narrow my focus to the breath.
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
bodom

Post by bodom »

Only 20 minute sit tonight. My daughter is sick and not at all happy.

- BB
Ben

Post by Ben »

Well done Bodom!
Any meditation during times of difficulty where you are attending to the needs of another is a good thing.
It is during times of adversity that practice becomes our anchor.
Wishing your daughter a full recovery soon.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

bodom wrote:Only 20 minute sit tonight. My daughter is sick and not at all happy.
May Maya be well, healthy, and happy soon!!
bodom

Post by bodom »

Thanks Ben and David for your well wishes. She's just a little congested and having trouble breathing when laying down so its nothing serious. She's on the tail end of it.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

- BB
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Today I'm going to do a lot of meditation. The only thing that could get in the way is food, Tolstoy and DW.

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
bodom

Post by bodom »

BlackBird wrote:Today I'm going to do a lot of meditation. The only thing that could get in the way is food, Tolstoy and DW.

metta
Jack
I wish I could get more in. My daughter has been my main meditation subject the past 9 months.

- BB
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Just finished conducting the last session of mindfulness based cognitive therapy. Feel happy I can do this for other people!
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Guy

Post by Guy »

I'm going on my first ever 9-day retreat tomorrow...should be good.
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm