Spirit worship

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Ceisiwr

Re: Spirit worship

Post by Ceisiwr »

I think western buddhists are dismissive of it because they feel that spirit worship, offerings etc are at odds with the buddhas teaching that beings are owners of their own kamma and that "no one can save us but ourselves"

This is how i feel anyway on the subject but i dont feel such practicies are worthless as they do encourage the wholesome. i just dont think they change the outcome of the being towards its directed.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

clw_uk wrote:I think western buddhists are dismissive of it because they feel that spirit worship, offerings etc are at odds with the buddhas teaching that beings are owners of their own kamma and that "no one can save us but ourselves"
It is no more at odds than it is to say "If I'm nice to my boss maybe he won't make my job so miserable." While no one but ourselves can completely end suffering, others can make samsara more or less bearable.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
davcuts

Post by davcuts »

What I find troubling in Tibetan Buddhism is certain spirits have been used to harm others. My own former teacher was overheard placing a curse on someone. Is this type of behavior found in Theravada Buddhism? I do love Tibetan Buddhism, but there are certain things about it I find troubling. Using spirits to harm another seems more like the occult then it does Buddhism. Would Theravadas use spirits to harm others? For instance if a county like China was to invade a country where Theravada Buddhism is dominant, would they ask spirits to help protect them? Would they use spirits to attack the countries leader, to kill him, or even drive him mad?

Thanks,
David
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

It is no more at odds than it is to say "If I'm nice to my boss maybe he won't make my job so miserable." While no one but ourselves can completely end suffering, others can make samsara more or less bearable.
I have to say with respect I do disagree with this. Dukkha arises from inside because of ignorance, it can only be stopped by us, getting others to be nice to us to make it more berable does not solve the problem. If people are less bearable than others it is because of our ignorance and not the people themselves.

In relation to the question if theravada buddhists would curse other people with spirits the answer would be no. Such an act would be extremely unwholesome and be detrimental to the person who attempted it due to the negative kamma it would produce. Furthermore I dont think its likely that a sincere Theravada Buddhist would but such stock in notions of curses etc.

As to the monk you mentioned who was uttering the curse I dont think this is correct behaviour for a Buddhist. One should act with metta and karuna. If you are cursing somebody you are not acting out of these good roots.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
GrahamR

Spirit worship

Post by GrahamR »

Dear all,

Belief in spirits is deeply ingrained into Thai culture. People will leave offerings; maybe cans of Coke, for spirits or angels (depending if they put them high or low).
Most homes and businesses have a spirit house to appease the spirits who lived on the land before the building was constructed. Many homes will even have a shrine to a Thai king where food offerings can be made.
Animism and Hinduism have influenced Thai culture. People of Chinese extraction can bring an extra layer of beliefs with them.
My wife is Thai and I have slightly jokingly asked her how she can justify some of the actions as a Buddhist and the best answer I have ever got is she believes in both!

with Metta :bow:
Graham
With metta :bow:
Graham
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

davcuts wrote:Would Theravadas use spirits to harm others?
A Theravadin is just a person.
Are there people who would try to use spirits to harm others? Yes.
Is such behavior in line with the Theravada teachings? Absolutely not.
Theravada teaches any intent to harm is unwholesome.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

I'm really uncomfortable with spirit-worship or anything resembling it. It gives me the heebie-geebities.

Just sharing here :)