the great vegetarian debate

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Butrfly_Nirvana

Re: Poll: Are you vegetarian/vegan?

Post by Butrfly_Nirvana »

Thank you! I'm hopeful that the family won't mind! :)
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Butrfly_Nirvana wrote:Thank you! I'm hopeful that the family won't mind! :)

A lot of recipes.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Everyday- ... /Main.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also borrowed a book from the library entitled (the previous addition):
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/product/81" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just realized they have a site after finding this description. Duh! Of course they do :tongue:
Anyway, it is an informative book and I liked most of the recipes I tried.

The biggest hurdle is learning that food without meat tastes good. Just stop cooking meat and don't say anything. I doubt anyone will notice other than your husband. In which case buy him a steak occasionally and let him go to town.
Butrfly_Nirvana

thereductor: Thank you!

ETA: I found 3 great recipes that I know my family will love! So starting next week (when I go grocery shopping again!) we will be have 3 nights of meatless dinners! Not a bad start--and I don't think they'll notice at all!
Last edited by Butrfly_Nirvana on Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baratgab

Post by baratgab »

Just a comment for my vote: I follow a plant-based, vegan diet as a lay person. From my current point of view it would be very difficult not to eat in this way. :) When eating in other humans' house and the food is directly offered to me with good intention, I accept foods containing dairy and egg without raising a word. Though, I kindly refuse to accept flesh; either human or non-human, I do not consider it food.

If someone is interested in the health aspect or the animal liberation philosophy (which is about a direct implication of human equality), I can recommend in PM a lot of important, scientific sources of information; I have been studying these areas for years. There is a significant movement in the world, and there are knowledgeable philosophers, lawyers and doctors who think that a paradigm shift is likely to occur in the near future.

The "Global Vegan Network" page at Facebook, with more than 21 thousand members

:anjali:
"Just as in the great ocean there is but one taste — the taste of salt — so in this Doctrine and Discipline there is but one taste — the taste of freedom"
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Goodness a paradigm shift. Wow.
I am afraid that the only paradigm shift I will be experiencing anytime soon is shifting myself down to out nearest Bangla Restaurant for a chicken tikka... :o
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
baratgab

Post by baratgab »

Sanghamitta wrote:Goodness a paradigm shift. Wow.
I am afraid that the only paradigm shift I will be experiencing anytime soon is shifting myself down to out nearest Bangla Restaurant for a chicken tikka... :o
If this is what the mind inclines to do due to previous conditions, this is what will happen. You have nothing to do with that; neither me with my way of living. ;) But there can be differences in whether and when will there be an end to this chain of conditions.

:anjali:
"Just as in the great ocean there is but one taste — the taste of salt — so in this Doctrine and Discipline there is but one taste — the taste of freedom"
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Sentient life will still be characterised by Dukkha Anicca and Anatta no matter how many " paradigm shifts " we speculate about.

Bhikku Bodhi.
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

If we're recommending cookbooks, this one hs recipes so good you'll want to hang around Samsara a while to sample them all :tongue::

http://www.amazon.com/Vegetarian-Meat-P ... 453&sr=8-1

J
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

I said "yes" though I still eat fish at times. Pescatorian is the term, I believe :smile: though the intention is to quit fish as well.

This is a recent decision (since the start of the year) though we haven't been eating much meat at all for a while (usually only when we were out).

Luckily the kids are not too keen on meat either, except they like sausages. I have to say it's hard to get them to eat protein-rich food other than fish and meat, but we are trying!

_/|\_
_/|\_
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

I am a Gratitudarian. What I eat I try to eat mindfully and with gratititude.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I wouldn't describe my eating habits as you do yours, but it is essentially the same!

Can we add another option

gratitudarian I like it
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Butrfly_Nirvana

http://www.sinc.sunysb.edu/Clubs/buddhi ... da/215.htm

I thought this gave great insight to the topic. Maybe it will help those who are feeling conflicted in their decisions...

Hope it helps someone--I know it clarified a lot for me. I will still be trying to go meatless 3-4 nights a week (we don't usually eat meat unless it's with dinner).
martinfrank

Vegetarian Food

Post by martinfrank »

Hi!

I apologize to write about this unwelcome topic.

Yesterday, I went along to the Royal Thai temple in Switzerland. The Thai staff of Palais Kraft brought food for the monks. We stayed for lunch.

I am a vegetarian. I wasn't surprised that the Thai monks and the Thai lay Buddhists are eating meat; but I was surprised that there wasn't ONE SINGLE vegetarian dish among the 30-40 dishes offered to the monks. The Lord Abbot offered me some sweets and fruits, the only things I could eat. Luckily, I had eaten breakfast and hadn't come for the food.

I don't want to start a discussion of "what Lord Buddha said" regarding eating meat. Lord Buddha said that you shouldn't kill living beings and he also said that many people go to hell. I wish you and me to go the good way when we die.

Yesterday, all the food was cooked specially (by many different families and groups) for the monks; it wasn't that the monks went begging through a street and were eating what was left over from householders' non-vegetarian meals.

I also know from the few vegetarian monasteries in Thailand, that if the Lord Abbot would tell the lay Buddhists that the monastery recommends the laypeople donate vegetarian food, within a few weeks this inflow of pork, chicken, fish would stop and the laypeople would bring only vegetarian food.

All this I ask you not to discuss; it has been discussed and re-discussed. Many vegetarians are attached to their tasty food. It is not possible to discuss meat-eating with them.

Instead of this unwelcome general topic, I would like to suggest two smaller items for discussion:

1. Is this exclusively non-vegetarian Thanksgiving dinner every day diet good nutrition for monks?

2. I believe that for laypeople it is difficult to go a good way when they die. Shouldn't the monks as spiritual leaders out of pity guide the laypeople to avoid harmful actions?

What do you think?

Enjoy your (vegetarian) food!

Martin
The Noble Eightfold Path: Proposed to all, imposed on none.
baratgab

Re: Vegetarian Food

Post by baratgab »

Well, if my understanding is correct, one of your questions is about nutrition, and the other is about the ethical importance of vegetarianism. I'm not sure why do you think that Buddhists are well-versed or qualified in these topics enough to give you meaningful answers. These topics are subject to much prejudice and delusion in the current, speciesist societies.

Though, as a vegan I certainly resonate with your concerns.

Be well :smile:
martinfrank

Re: Vegetarian Food

Post by martinfrank »

Hi Baratgab

Thank you for your quick reply. I try to make myself more clear:

1. I was a little shocked when I saw the food, not so much because the food was not vegetarian, but because among so many dishes, there wasn't one single dish which wasn't mixed up with meat or fish. The food didn't looke like a healthy diet and there wasn't a plate without parts of a recently killed being in it. The temple I visited is a community temple. The monks take care very well of the Thai community in Switzerland.

Maybe there is no answer; but definitely, it is a Buddhist problem.

2. My point about lay people is that for lay people the precepts are the main toolset to avoid going to hell. I believe that we humans are almost always following habits, largely conditioned by circumstances, and occasionally guided by our minds. Precepts are good habits. Not eating meat and not drinking alcohol are more a matter of habit than an effort, while not killing, not stealing, not lying, no illicit sex are all tough stuff even for monks.

I am not a "healthy diet" vegetarian. When I look at an animal, I think, "What did you do that this happened to you?" and feel pity for the poor animal, and fear for what will happen when I die.

Martin
The Noble Eightfold Path: Proposed to all, imposed on none.