Sri Lanka - visas and other administrative complications

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
baratgab

Sri Lanka - visas and other administrative complications

Post by baratgab »

I quite like the idea of this ordination subforum. Well done! :)

My current interest is to get to Sri Lanka, but it seems that there is no dedicated topic on this matter. Is there anybody who has some detailed information about the related tasks and duties? I have worries about visas and other administrative complications.

Information and tips about specific monasteries and meditation centers also seem quite scarce. For example, I am not sure what my chances are with this sutta, samadhi and seclusion based approach that I have been conditioned to by some Venerables. Of course I am open to improve that samma ditthi, and I can even keep quiet, but no voodoo dolls, no animal sacrifices and no gardening workshops, please... :lol:

I have heard good things about Venerable Wattegama Dhammawasa Nayaka Thero's Sri Subodharamaya Buddhist Center -- this is a recommendation from the very kind Venerable Samahita. And I also have another recommendation: Na Uyana meditation center, from Venerable Sujato.

I kindly invite your knowledge and your opinions.

:namaste:
"Just as in the great ocean there is but one taste — the taste of salt — so in this Doctrine and Discipline there is but one taste — the taste of freedom"
Ben

Re: Sri Lanka - visas and other administrative complications

Post by Ben »

Hi baratgab
Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
The idea behind the ordination forum was to colocate all the threads which started off as requests for ordination information in the one place. The ordination forum would be a lot easier to navigate for those seeking information on ordination and also easier for those, like our ordained members, to answer questions concerning going forth.

My understanding is that meditation centres and monasteries as potential destinations for would-be sameneras and anagarikas are recommended by bhikkhu sangha that may be familiar with you. At least one member here is planning to travel to Sri Lanka in May to seek ordination and there are a number of bhikkhus here who maybe able to give some advice regarding the administrative issues and visa requirements for your trip to Sri Lanka.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
baratgab

Post by baratgab »

Hi Ben,

thank you for relocating this post to a new thread. :)

I would like to add some details about my current information and perplexities:

On one hand I have read that entering the country with tourist visa is not recommended, because the tourist visa cannot be extended beyond three months, and I have read on a government website that even extending to three months (from one month) is only sincere if one really has a tourist purpose in the country. On the other hand, I have been informed that entering with tourist visa for three months, and then obtaining residency by ordaining (within three months, I suppose) is normal. To make it even more complicated, I have read that to enter with a tourist visa one has to present a return air-ticket; I would prefer not to waste a return air-ticket, since as a Hungarian my budget is quite tight. :tongue:

So currently my main interest is whether there is any Buddhism- or meditation-related visa in Sri Lanka which would be more appropriate for my purpose of entering. And of course, if there is such a visa, what is the way of obtaining it: Do I have to sort it out beforehand with a specific meditation center?

With metta,
Gabor
"Just as in the great ocean there is but one taste — the taste of salt — so in this Doctrine and Discipline there is but one taste — the taste of freedom"
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Hi Gabor,

While I've been to Sri Lanka it's been more than twenty years ago and I'm sure things have changed, so I can't comment on visas or temples with any certainty...what I would say is that the price of a one way ticket is almost as much as a return ticket...and it is worth considering looking for a bargain (return) ticket just in case things don't pan out...hopefully they do for you, but one can never tell...a bit of insurance you might say...

All the best...
baratgab

Post by baratgab »

Thank you, appicchato; quite valid point, especially that I already had a failed attempt in England. If this is the case about the prices, I will certainly buy a return ticket. To be honest, I did not do much travelling in this life, so I have a lack of information even about basic things like this.

:anjali:
appicchato wrote:Hi Gabor,

While I've been to Sri Lanka it's been more than twenty years ago and I'm sure things have changed, so I can't comment on visas or temples with any certainty...what I would say is that the price of a one way ticket is almost as much as a return ticket...and it is worth considering looking for a bargain (return) ticket just in case things don't pan out...hopefully they do for you, but one can never tell...a bit of insurance you might say...

All the best...
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Hi Gabor

Have you read Ven. Nyanatusita's excellent guide to Sri Lankan meditation centre's and monasteries? If not it's available here:
http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/Sri-L ... teries.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am leaving for Sri Lanka in late May, I've contacted the Sri Lankan consulate here in NZ, and the gist of what they said was not to worry, you get a 1 month visa on arrival, and then to get your monastery to sort out visa extensions etc.

I think it would be a good idea to make contact with a specific centre in advance.

metta
Jack :heart:
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
baratgab

Post by baratgab »

Wow, this paper seems to be an excellent source of information. Thank you, Jack! :) I will start reading it ASAP.

By the way, what is your destination? (Only if it is public, of course.)

metta,
Gabor