Anagarika Precepts...Where to begin...

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
cjowalt

Anagarika Precepts...Where to begin...

Post by cjowalt »

Hi Everyone,

Well, this is my first post so.....Hi!

I am graduating college this year in May and I wish to take angarika precepts some time afterwards but I am a little unsure on how to start the whole process...

I am taking a trip to the UK this summer to visit Amaravati, Aruna Ratanagiri, Forest Hermitage, Hartridge and Cittaviveka mostly to get an idea of how these places suit me (and vice-versa!)....

So the question really goes out to anyone who has taken the first steps to ordination or is familiar with this topic...

How did you begin this process and what should I keep in mind when seeking to take residence at a monastery.

Any help is greatly appreciated
:anjali:
With Metta,
Casey
Cittasanto

Re: Anagarika Precepts...Where to begin...

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi,
Have you contacted any of the monestaries?

you won't be able to stay at Amaravati until the end of march, although I don't know about what the score is with staying at the others is specifically.

I have attached the information sheet for you to mull over
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

Probably not the answer you were looking for, but what I did was to first "an" the "agara", (= bad attempt at a joke for "leave home", should be "gacchati" the "agara"!) and the rest sorted itself out after a few months.

Shantarakshita's "The Thousand-Petalled Lotus" is great inspiration for this sort of behavior.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
cjowalt

Post by cjowalt »

Great,

Thanks Manapa for the information. This was pretty helpful...

Paññāsikhara:
:tongue: Good one!

Well this would not be my first time "an"(ing) the "agara to stay at a monastery but it is the first time I would be choosing to stay for a year! haha
And thanks for the reccomendation on the "Thousand Petal Lotus"

So I guess since I have no viharas within a 500 mile radius I should start visiting places I'm interested in...

If it's possible could someone reccomend a vihara in the U.S. other than Bhavana Society, Abhayagiri &Wat Metta

Thanks Again,
Casey