Pristine Theravada

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Prasadachitta

Re: Pristine Theravada

Post by Prasadachitta »

meindzai wrote:Ok, let everybody interpret the Kalama Suttas as they will. But let me say that I think that in general, discussions about the approach we should take to dhamma focus too much on that Sutta. Actually it's kind of ironic. If the Kalama sutta says not to rely too much on the Tipitaka, which itself is a part of, then why such a fierce defense of the Kalama Sutta? To get a more complete picture I would seriously advise people to read the Canki Sutta and the Apannaka Sutta as well.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... x.than.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-M
Hello Meindzai,

I take the Canki Sutta to be the best description I have read of how one deals with what is and is not true. I dont think anything I have put forth is out of line with that particular Sutta either.

Of course the Kalama sutta does not refer to the Tipitika. It refers to scriptures in a general way. The Tipitika is a scripture. It is a story about something which happened a long time ago.

Metta

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
Ben

Re: Pristine Theravada

Post by Ben »

Thanks Sean
seanpdx wrote:"Doubting the Kālāma-Sutta: Epistemology, Ethics, and the 'Sacred'", Stephen A. Evans, Buddhist Studies Review v.24(1), 2007.
Its an excellent article and it underscores the central role of saddha.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..