Bad resources

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Bad resources

Postby alan » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:05 pm

Hi All. Love the resources link at the top of most threads. They have been very helpful.
But some books are not. Just for fun, I would like to ask this question: are there any books you find unhelpful? Some author you would avoid? Not trying to start a war--just thought it would be interesting to see which, if any, books you've rejected.
I'll start with Stephen Batchelor's "Buddhism without beliefs", just to get things rolling.
P.S. I threw it out the window a few years ago, so please don't ask my to quote what it was that bugged me.
Thought this might be interesting.... :coffee:
alan

Re: Bad resources

Postby catmoon » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:59 pm

I have a nice healthy aversion to about anything by D.T. Suzuki. But that said, he seems to be a highly respected writer for some reason. :shrug:
catmoon

Postby Fede » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:19 pm

"The secret"
"The Law of Attraction"
Anything at all by Deepak Chopra.
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/
Fede

Postby Monkey Mind » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:19 pm

No Time to Lose: A Timely Guide to the Way of the Bodhisattva by Pema Chodron
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Monkey Mind

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:20 pm

Monkey Mind wrote:No Time to Lose: A Timely Guide to the Way of the Bodhisattva by Pema Chodron

Why is it bad?
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:49 pm

I don't think I have any bad resources, they are all good for something.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby bodom » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:59 pm

tiltbillings wrote:
Monkey Mind wrote:No Time to Lose: A Timely Guide to the Way of the Bodhisattva by Pema Chodron

Why is it bad?

I have enjoyed many books by Pema Chodron. In fact When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times was one of the very first books i read on Buddhist practice. I would recommend her in a heatbeat.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby zavk » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:21 am

Fede wrote:"The secret"
"The Law of Attraction"

:thumbsup:

I wouldn't call them 'resources' but 'bad', yes. :)
With metta,
zavk
zavk

Postby Prasadachitta » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:43 am

zavk wrote:
Fede wrote:"The secret"
"The Law of Attraction"

:thumbsup:

I wouldn't call them 'resources' but 'bad', yes. :)

If they are not being used as a resource then there is nothing bad about them. :tongue:
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
Prasadachitta

Postby withoutcolour » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:16 am

Awakening the Buddha Within by Lama Surya Das.

Not only was I really turned off by the mention of levitating within the first few pages, written under the title is "Eight steps to enlightenment," like there's an Alcoholics-Anonymous style list that one can go through and check off, easy as that. I am also turned off by the Tibetan tradition in general, no offense to the Vajras who may frequent this site, it's just not my cup of tea is all. :coffee:
I read the whole book and it was useful as somebody who is a critical reader of Buddhist literature(which, thankfully I was at the time I read it) , but for someone new to the subject, this would seem like mystical new age crap and is not particularly informative in terms of the basic beliefs of Buddhism.

I am also turned off to Suzuki's writing. Makes my brain melt.

-wc
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ
sabbe sattā sukhita hontu
withoutcolour

Postby Jechbi » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:03 am

Manapa wrote:I don't think I have any bad resources, they are all good for something.

:goodpost:
it's about how we relate to the words we encounter, and what practical use we make of it
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Jechbi

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:10 am

Manapa wrote:I don't think I have any bad resources, they are all good for something.

Maybe being a doorstop, or balancing the wobbly table
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby Jechbi » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:40 am

tiltbillings wrote:Maybe being a doorstop, or balancing the wobbly table

Sure. Sometimes we're not yet capable of finding value in points of view that challenge our own. So we make the best use we can, and that might involve propping up wobbly things or making sure doors stay where they belong.
Jechbi

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:44 am

Jechbi wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:Maybe being a doorstop, or balancing the wobbly table

Sure. Sometimes we're not yet capable of finding value in points of view that challenge our own.
That is assuming a bad book challenges my point of view. Some books are just poorly written, poorly researched.
So we make the best use we can, and that might involve propping up wobbly things or making sure doors stay where they belong.
I just cannot bring myself to burn them or givie them away.
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby Jechbi » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:52 am

tiltbillings wrote:I just cannot bring myself to burn them or giving them away.

Giving them away is actually kind of fun. I gave a bunch to the local public library a few years ago. That was an interesting experience, after having hoarded books since childhood. Then I gave away the bookshelves. Come to think of it, those books really did have value in the end.
;)
Jechbi

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:53 am

Greetings,

Resources may be bad if they are:

* Factually incorrect or poorly researched
* Misleading, drawing false conclusions
* Poorly written, in style or language
* Contain no redeeming features or points of value

I don't think it's about "points of view that challenge our own" that people are talking about... it's more the above criteria.

I could list a string of Mahayana books that contain "points of view that challenge my own" but that wouldn't make them bad resources per se.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Jechbi » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:04 am

retrofuturist wrote:I don't think it's about "points of view that challenge our own" that people are talking about... it's more the above criteria.

I had a different impression, namely that it was about subjective criteria as well as these relatively objective ones that you list. Much of the thread seems to be about opinions, and I thought that's what the OP was after.

retrofuturist wrote:Resources may be bad if they ... contain no redeeming features or points of value
Yep, that's pretty much what I was driving at. What one person finds to be without value might churn up some unexpected bits of wisdom in the reading of another. Even poorly researched or poorly written books can raise questions or points worth considering, regardless of whether we agree with the conclusions drawn in the work. The value derives from what one brings to the reading, in my opinion.
Jechbi

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:50 am

Jechbi wrote: Even poorly researched or poorly written books can raise questions or points worth considering, regardless of whether we agree with the conclusions drawn in the work. The value derives from what one brings to the reading, in my opinion.
And the taste of some cookies is not good enough to warrant eating them. Life is too short to read bad books.
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby Kim OHara » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:11 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Resources may be bad if they are:

* Factually incorrect or poorly researched
* Misleading, drawing false conclusions
* Poorly written, in style or language
* Contain no redeeming features or points of value

I don't think it's about "points of view that challenge our own" that people are talking about... it's more the above criteria.

I could list a string of Mahayana books that contain "points of view that challenge my own" but that wouldn't make them bad resources per se.

Metta,
Retro. :)

:goodpost:
"Points of view that challenge our own" are not necessarily wrong.
If we were going to include books on that basis we would never stop, and the list would include many, many books which are factually correct, well researched and well written, and extremely valuable to some people.
If I were going to alter Retro's list of criteria I would drop the last of the four (because 'nicely printed', for example, is a redeeming virtue but not a sufficient one) and replace it with 'Out of date.'
Dharma books shouldn't usually go out of date but a unique, but poor, translation might be supplanted by a better one. Or a historical study may be supplanted by the results of more recent research.
:namaste:

Kim
Kim OHara

Postby nowheat » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:38 am

I didn't get from the phrase "points of view that challenge our own" that it was something that made a book a bad resource. Quite the opposite. The post read: "Sometimes we're not yet capable of finding value in points of view that challenge our own. So we make the best use we can..." As described, it seems to me that the difficulty lay in the reader, not in the book: read it again later, it may be different.

I would like to know why the OP disliked the Batchelor book. I found it, overall, inspiring, and a clarifying read, and sometimes his prose was so spot on as to be quite beautiful. At other times the highfalutin' language was more than I could bear, but I shouldn't complain about having to look up words in the dictionary, I suppose.

:namaste:
nowheat

Next

Return to Open Dhamma