the great vegetarian debate

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Re: I'm a new vegetarian! Some questions...

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:38 am

Naga

Postby Naga » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:38 pm

Lentils and spinach will give you all the iron and protein you ever need. You can get both at once with a good lentil-spinach soup.
My wife is Thai, so at home she cooks a lot of Thai dishes (curries w/ rice & fried noodles with veggies mostly) using fried tofu instead of chicken or pork.
I've been learning how to cook Indian food lately. So many good vegetarian dishes they have. A few days ago I made chana masala, "chickpea curry" that was awesome.
A lot of Mexican food can be made veggie as well: bean burritos, quesadillas, guacamole, etc.
You can find a lot of free recipes on the Internet. There's tons of cooking videos on YouTube.
I don't take any supplements at all, and I'm in excellent health.

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:21 pm

http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:29 pm

alan

Postby alan » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:52 pm

Hi Tex
3 grams a day of Chlorella and/or Spirulina will take care of any problems you might otherwise encounter with trace elements.
Eggs and cheese are your new best friends. "Cage-free" eggs are produced by chickens that have access to the outdoors and are a good choice. Don't be afraid of the yolks!
Organic Valley produces an excellent array of raw, organic cheeses that are delicious and healthy. Both of these should be available in any upscale market in your area.
There are many awful protein powders on the market. You want one that is "non-de-natured", that preserves the amino acid called Cysteine, which your body needs to produce Glutathione, an extremely potent anti-oxidant. My favorite is from Jarrow brands. You can order it at Vitacost.com. Mix it with some water and coconut milk to before your workout.
General health tips: Fish oil is good, Krill oil is far superior.
High Fructose Corn Syrup=poison.
Trans-fats=poison.
And avoid Tofu!
Hope this helps a bit--
Alan

Potato

Postby Potato » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:11 pm

Congratulations, Tex! I went vegetarian rather abruptly six years ago and have never looked back.

Protein: in the modern Western world, getting enough protein is not an issue. Just make sure to eat something with whole grains and something with beans daily. If you are concerned about it because you work out, may be a site where you can get some good information.

Iron: You can get iron from spinach and other dark green and leafy vegetables. Eat plenty of broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and other greens (like kale and chard and beet greens) and you'll be fine. Claims about spinach not containing much iron are exaggerated. Spinach contains non-heme iron, which is not as easily absorbed by the body as heme iron (found in animals), but the difference is not great enough to worry about as long as you are eating an otherwise balanced diet.

Eggs and dairy: That's a personal choice. I don't use animal milk because I lost my taste for it (separately from becoming a vegetarian), so I usually use almond or soy milk. On th other hand, I still eat cheese and occasionally eat eggs.

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:23 pm

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:28 pm

alan

Postby alan » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:09 pm

Yes, Krill are animals, but there are hundreds of millions of them, and they constantly regenerate. If the primary concern is to avoid all animal products, ok, stay away. But as a general health tip it is a good thing to take Krill oil.
Everyone knows now about the health benefits of Omega-3 fatty acids. Krill oil delivers this in the most potent way. It also contains Astaxanthin. As for flax and walnuts, I'm all for it. But there is some debate about whether or not ALA is converted into Omega-3 in the body. I'll put my money on Krill oil for over all health benefits, for those not going very strictly veg.

As for Tofu,
I promise this is the last time I'll mention this site--westonaprice.org.

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:27 pm

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:40 pm

alan

Postby alan » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:42 pm

Did you read about Dr. Price and his 30 years of research in the developing world?

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:49 pm

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:49 pm

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:59 pm

alan

Postby alan » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:05 pm

I'll ask you all to go to the Amazon page: Nutrition and physical degeneration by Weston A. Price and read it. I find it compelling.

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:15 pm

I agree that physical degeneration has to do with denatured food.

That's why i eat a lot of raw food.

I can FEEL how my energy goes down with too much denatured food, and I begin to crave raw food...sort of like:

I don't want anymore cake, gimmie an apple.

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:22 pm

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

alan

Postby alan » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:46 pm

Took me a long time to accept that soy was not good for the health...I rejected it too, first time I heard it. Don't think I will change any minds.
And obviously the science of health is not what most people want to discuss. So:

How important is it to avoid killing sentient creatures, if their consumption keeps us healthier?

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:01 pm

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”