What is the "life-principle"? (Jivitindriya)

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Dhammanando

Re: What is the "life-principle"? (Jivitindriya)

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Element,
Element wrote:I still think you may possibly have a point. It is said when arahants die and are cremated, their bones turn into jewels. Maybe their life force or jiva does remain in their bones causing this to happen.

I wonder what Venerable Dhammanando thinks? Dhammanando would have heard about these stories in Thailand.
I'm pretty sceptical about it. There is no mention in the Suttas of the Buddha's remains looking any different to those of anyone else, nor of the relics of his arahant disciples. Also, this sort of thing would be dead easy to fake, and among the less scrupulous followers of a teacher there are strong worldly incentives to do so. For example, someone on the lay committee which manages a wat might have hopes that the wat will become a future pilgrimage site; so he hides some crystals in the coffin before the cremation, knowing that gullible folk will take their later "discovery" as a sign that the monk was an arahant.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)