AHHH, THE FREAKIN' NOISE!

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
acinteyyo

Re: AHHH, THE FREAKIN' NOISE!

Post by acinteyyo »

Freakin' Noise?

Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

If you find yourself becoming angry at your father I would certainly recommend metta meditation.

Also another simple thing that might work is this:

"Dad is that okay if you turn the TV down just a little please? I find it distracts me from my meditation"
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

the sound doesn't disturb

the mind getting agitated at the sound does

when we stop fighting with the sound, stop having aversion, we can let the sound arise and pass away
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings RYB,
rowyourboat wrote:the sound doesn't disturb

the mind getting agitated at the sound does

when we stop fighting with the sound, stop having aversion, we can let the sound arise and pass away
Precisely so, but to reach that realisation, often it takes a bit of quiet meditation and contemplation.

:meditate:

Possibly a bit of a catch-22 situation if you're continually surrounded by noise.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
suriyopama

Post by suriyopama »

Ben wrote:Hi Rob
Definitely move out. Get your own place. I highly recommend it.
However, I think you'll find you'll take your annoyances with you.
Hi Ben,

You're right. It's exactly as you say :jumping:

I've spent the last years "moving on" trying to find a better place, but I still can't get rid of my annoyances. Now I'm living in Thailand, and it's even worst!!

It's not the place, it's not the sounds, it's definitively my mind. Someone said that the best place to fight is in the front-line, not in the happy and quiet retirement environment. But it's like being caught in a vicious circle...

I’m going to practice metta with the noisy street dogs, the crazy birds, the live music from the distant pub, TV's, frogs, mosquitoes...

:namaste: