Does PM work?

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Nicholas Weeks

Does PM work?

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

I have tried to send a couple of Private Messages and they seem to sit in the Outbox. When I check the Sent Messages, there is nothing there?
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
retrofuturist

Re: Does PM work?

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Will,

They do work.

Although... I'm not entirely certain on the process behind it, the messages go to the Outbox immediately after being sent, and after an unknown amount of time, they seem to move automatically to the Sent folder.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Will,

They do work.

Although... I'm not entirely certain on the process behind it, the messages go to the Outbox immediately after being sent, and after an unknown amount of time, they seem to move automatically to the Sent folder.

Metta,
I hope you are right retro, it has been 2½ hours since I "sent" the PM and it is still in the Outbox.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Will,

Send me one as a test if you like.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Send me one as a test if you like.

Metta,
OK - I just did that. Now I have 2 PMs in the Outbox.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Hi Will... I got your test PM.

Looks like even though the categorisation of sent mail isn't intuitive, the send mechanism definitely works.

Metta,
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

retrofuturist wrote:Hi Will... I got your test PM.

Looks like even though the categorisation of sent mail isn't intuitive, the send mechanism definitely works.

Metta,
Yep, that was very quick. Maybe I will re-send the other one. If he is offline or his machine is down, would that make any difference?
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Will,

Possibly. Once I understand precisely how it works, I'll come back and post... however I doubt you'll need to resend it. Any that I have sent have worked, and always worked their way to the Sent Box in time. Possibly (and this just a guess), "Outbox" means it hasn't been collected. You could test this by checking the status of the PM you sent to me.

Metta,
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Possibly. Once I understand precisely how it works, I'll come back and post... however I doubt you'll need to resend it. Any that I have sent have worked, and always worked their way to the Sent Box in time. Possibly (and this just a guess), "Outbox" means it hasn't been collected. You could test this by checking the status of the PM you sent to me.

Metta,
Yes it has something to do with whether the recipient is online or at the site. I resent the PM at another site and caught him there. But a later PM at that site was also sitting in the Outbox last night. So the problem must be connected to being online or at the site, I guess.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Will,

That depends on whether its perceived as a 'problem'... if the differentiation is simply that the Outbox has yet to be collected, it saves anyone needing to put 'read receipts' on PMs to know whether they're opened or not.

Metta,
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Retro,
retrofuturist wrote:That depends on whether its perceived as a 'problem'... if the differentiation is simply that the Outbox has yet to be collected, it saves anyone needing to put 'read receipts' on PMs to know whether they're opened or not.
I think I've figured out how this works now. Yesterday the pm's I sent to you and Ben were initially listed in dark blue font in my out-folder. When I logged in this morning, after you had both read and replied to them, they were still in the out-folder, but now listed in red font. Later, upon my next visit to the messages page they had been moved to the sent folder.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)