The Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Glenn

Re: The Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge

Post by Glenn »

I haven't posted in a while, so thanks Ben for starting this thread and getting me "back in".

I decided to meditate in the evening, instead of the morning today. 20 minutes with an agitated body. I just couldn't get comfortable. Oh well, they all can't be blissful moments. I should probably lay off the caffeine before I sit. Lesson learned.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Glenn
Depending on what meditation you are doing, the discomfort can be something you just merely remain equanimous towards. Keep in mind that the hindrance of restlessness can manifest as discomfort.
Congratulations with restarting your practice! Keep on going!
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

My challenge will be to meditate at least a little bit every evening.
I have no trouble fitting in my daily early-morning meditation (one hour), but in the evening I am usually so exhausted and hungry that I just skip meditating, and instead eat then go straight to bed.
But tonight and in future I will meditate at least... ten minutes. Ya!
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Ben wrote:Hi Glenn
Depending on what meditation you are doing, the discomfort can be something you just merely remain equanimous towards. Keep in mind that the hindrance of restlessness can manifest as discomfort.
Congratulations with restarting your practice! Keep on going!
metta

Ben
Thanks, Ben for your suggestions. My discomfort is just something I need to work with, and that will come with time. No big deal.
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

im kind of fickle and i dont like making promises, too many chances for regrets. i did 70 minutes on my cushion today tho :)
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
Vardali

Post by Vardali »

Ok, I started off well (after having signed up my challenge here), the first meditation was ok and in time, but since than I lapsed back into restlessness where I only could handle around 20 mins.

Gonna head off now for today's final attempt, but I am feeling well set so I am optimistic to maybe manage better today.

I have to admit though that I am not forcing myself through, when I just cannot reasonably quieten my mind for a sitting, then I move onto doing something else mindfully. But this doesn't count here, really. Looking forward to see how I will manage this weekend, when I got more quiet time and no time pressure for anything ...
Ben

Post by Ben »

Good luck Vardali!
If it gets tough going, try and exert some adhitthana! (strong determination) It will be helpful in overcomng your hindrances.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Friday was not so great, failed to meet my goal and only got in about 30 minutes or so throughout the day.
That's life, moving on - The aim for today is 3 hours, no wanting, no outcomes, just sitting.

How'd everyone else get on?

:anjali:
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Guy

Post by Guy »

Hi Jack,

I only sat for half an hour yesterday instead of an hour, so today I will sit for an hour and a half. :juggling:

With Metta,

Guy
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

I failed last night. I thought about it but then... naaaah, I'll just surf the web a bit then go to bed.
Tonight I shall attempt again to sit, even for just 10 minutes.
My morning sit was okay though, I remembered it and woke up before the sun rose. Damn morning chorus birds! Quiet your melodious and joyful tweeting!
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
shjohnk

Post by shjohnk »

Great Idea :clap: I aim to do at least 20 minutes of Breath Meditation a day until the end of the year. May everyone achieve their goals!!!
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Did about 1.30 today, roughly half of what I had planned, and I'm fine with that. Might go for another sit before bed.
Been reading 'Focused and Fearless' by Shaila Catherine, it's a very good book.

James I know what you mean. We usually have a Tui that nests nearby and it's delightfully distracting, not to mention all the Black birds. :D

"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

It's been hit or miss for me. Yesterday was only about an hour of formal meditation (I have committed myself to 2) but there have been days when I easily met my goal. Much of it has to do with when my son decides to wake up so I'm trying not to be too hard on myself. Anyway I wish you all success. Be well.

Mike
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

I'd say about an hour today, quite a pleasant sit for a change. Guess it comes back to Ajahn. Brahm's 'pay day' theory :lol:

I have the morning off tommorow, will aim for about 2 hours.

How's everyone getting on? Are we on track?
:group:

Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

I cheated really by going for the duration I do most days anyway. :embarassed: However I am attempting to do my practice with extra care, and with a more relaxed attitude, rather than. " Ok Ive done that, now I'll do this ". Tick tick..

I like your sig. very much Blackbird.

The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.