Operation "Smiling Buddha", an insult

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Mawkish1983

Operation "Smiling Buddha", an insult

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Hello all,

As my research involves nuclear reactors I found myself bumping into this website by accident:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smiling_Buddha

I didn't read it all, but for those who don't know:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smiling_Buddha wrote: The Smiling Buddha was the first nuclear test explosion by India on May 18, 1974 at Pokhran. It was also the first confirmed nuclear test by a nation outside the permanent five members of the United Nations Security Council having been developed and executed with no foreign help or assistance.
Does anyone else think it was extremely distasteful to name an operation in which a weapon capable of so much destruction and death was tested after the most peaceful teacher the world has ever known? Whether nuclear weaponry is a "deterrent" or a "weapon" is really a matter of semantics. The fact is that this device is designed to kill on an enormous scale, and for this test to be named thusly I think is a deep insult.
genkaku

Re: Operation "Smiling Buddha", an insult

Post by genkaku »

Yup, pretty icky, I agree. But let me see ....

Department of Defense: Didn't that used to be the more comprehensible War Department?

Human Resources: Didn't that used to be Personnel back when employees were considered people and not spark plugs or crescent wrenches?

And the most insulting of all (chocolate alert!) is the chocolate-looking cake that tastes like reconstituted cardboard and sugar.

And then there's always Enlightenment ... but we won't go there. :)
bodom

Re: Operation "Smiling Buddha", an insult

Post by bodom »

Yeah you wouldnt find them naming one after jesus.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB