Meditating with a cold/allergies

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
adamposey

Meditating with a cold/allergies

Post by adamposey »

I was trying to get through this morning's meditations, but my chest was tight, my breath was forced because of a runny nose, etc.,

How do you meditate with a cold or do you just focus on getting well and return to your meditation after?
Khalil Bodhi

Re: Meditating with a cold/allergies

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

You could try a different theme that has nothing to do with the breath such as metta bhavana or kayagatasati. Or you could use the sensations of discomfort as your object and look for the sign of impermanence. Metta.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Good suggestions.
Something else you could try is sweeping awareness slowly up and down the body taking in all sensations that arise from feet to crown and back.
catmoon

Post by catmoon »

I'm in the same boat. Since I smoke, and the flu causes me to reduce my smoking, I actually breathe better in some ways. I look forward to losing a few pounds. The discomfort seems small compared to all the mental suffering I used to generate around such things. It is also a good time to practice tonglen. Finally, think that carrying suffering with grace will prevent you from accumulating bad karma, in a very concrete sense.

Meditation is a little more difficult and perhaps briefer. That's fine. It's all practice.
shjohnk

Post by shjohnk »

On a similar theme, I have a chronically blocked nose (Rhinitis or something it's called). Therefore, I breathe predominantly through my mouth. This doesn't seem to affect my meditation: I'm still breathing and focussing on it.
Ben

Post by Ben »

In the past I have used a pseudo-ephedrine-based cold & flu medication which has alleviated the symptoms of blocked & runny nose. I could get on with my meditation and get on with the vast majority of my day-to-day activities.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
bodom

Post by bodom »

I suffer from allergies and also have problems with breathing. I do a lot of walking meditation.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB