AN 11.13: Mahanama Sutta (six recollections)

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
retrofuturist

AN 11.13: Mahanama Sutta (six recollections)

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I'd just like to share this excellent sutta, based on the six recollections, which can be very beneficial to practice.

AN 11.13: Mahanama Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

Have you used any of the recollections outlined here? Have they been beneficial?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
appicchato

Re: AN 11.13: Mahanama Sutta (six recollections)

Post by appicchato »

retrofuturist wrote: Have you used any of the recollections outlined here? Have they been beneficial?
I have. And yes, I believe so.

I haven't completely come to grips with #6 as yet because I'm still trying assimilate the idea of different beings, on different planes...all in good time, I guess... ;)
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings venerable,

Do you think it would be reasonable to summarise it as an "each fares according to their deeds" kind of sentiment?

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I have recollected the Buddha, Dhamma, Sangha, My own Qualities, but not that of Devas well at least not specifically, more of the BrahmaViharas as a recolection!
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings venerable,

Do you think it would be reasonable to summarise it as an "each fares according to their deeds" kind of sentiment?

Metta,
Hi Retro,

I would...the Buddha refers to the next life pretty factually here ('they re-arose'), and it dovetails with 'cause and effect' too...so it's a pretty good bet that this is the way it is...although I haven't confirmed this personally...yet...

Be well... ;)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Retro

From time to time I recollect the qualities of triple gem.
From experience it has had quite an effect on attitude and motivation.
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

I suspect these recollections are most useful for stream entrants! There is no problems in others doing these, ofcourse. Mahanama was a stream entrant. Steam entrants will have unshakeble faith in the buddha, dhamma ,sangha and will know what each of those words describing the dhamma and sangha mean from their own experience. Their virtues will be strong so they will be able to recollect these effectively and gain happiness from them. THey also are said to have the five faculties- faith, energy, mindfulness, concentration, insight, which is mentioned in this sutta. I believe these recollections are a way forward for lay stream entrant to progress further.

with metta
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

I have used recollection of the Buddha a number of times. I find it helps calm the mind.

I wonder the purpose of the recollection of devas... maybe it is to give assurance that even if arahant is not attained then rebirth in the upper realms is still a nice result of practice?
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Peter wrote:I wonder the purpose of the recollection of devas... maybe it is to give assurance that even if arahant is not attained then rebirth in the upper realms is still a nice result of practice?
  • "At any time when a disciple of the noble ones is recollecting the conviction, virtue, learning, generosity, and discernment found both in himself and the devas, his mind is not overcome with passion, not overcome with aversion, not overcome with delusion. His mind heads straight, based on the [qualities of the] devas. And when the mind is headed straight, the disciple of the noble ones gains a sense of the goal, gains a sense of the Dhamma, gains joy connected with the Dhamma. In one who is joyful, rapture arises. In one who is rapturous, the body grows calm. One whose body is calmed experiences ease. In one at ease, the mind becomes concentrated.

"Mahanama, you should develop this recollection of the devas while you are walking, while you are standing, while you are sitting, while you are lying down, while you are busy at work, while you are resting in your home crowded with children."
Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

It just doesn't (yet?) make sense to me.

"At any time when a disciple of the noble ones is recollecting the conviction, virtue, learning, generosity, and discernment found both in himself and the devas..."

From the previous two recollections we see that recalling one's own virtue and generosity leads to concentration. So why recollect the devas at all? There must be some value in comparing these qualities to devas'.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Peter,
Peter wrote:From the previous two recollections we see that recalling one's own virtue and generosity leads to concentration. So why recollect the devas at all? There must be some value in comparing these qualities to devas'.
In the Visuddhimagga it seems the difference is that devotion to devatānussati causes the devas to love you.
  • "And when a bhikkhu is devoted to this recollection of devatās, he becomes dearly loved by devatās. He obtains even greater fullness of faith. He has much happiness and gladness. And if he penetrates no higher, he is at least headed for a happy destiny."
    (PoP VII 118)
Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

Hi all,

Contemplations essentially the same as these often spontaneously occur to me. If I am well absorbed in mediation when this occurs I can be struck with very intense feelings of devotion for the Three Jewels. This Sutta actually seems to illustrate what feels like the very heart of my practice. I used to think that I was going to experience some kind of understanding which trumped all other understanding. Although I dont necessarily write off that possibility I have recently started leaning more to the idea that its less a matter of "AHAA!!" and more a matter of "SHRADDHAA!!".

Metta

Gabriel
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
Individual

Post by Individual »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

I'd just like to share this excellent sutta, based on the six recollections, which can be very beneficial to practice.

AN 11.13: Mahanama Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... .than.html

Have you used any of the recollections outlined here? Have they been beneficial?

Metta,
I light a candle and incense for the Buddha every morning, and pray every night, in order to recollect on the Triple-Gem. My virtues (or lack thereof) is something that's pretty much nagging me almost every waking hour. Much of the time, I tune it out.
Dhammanando wrote:Hi Peter,
Peter wrote:From the previous two recollections we see that recalling one's own virtue and generosity leads to concentration. So why recollect the devas at all? There must be some value in comparing these qualities to devas'.
In the Visuddhimagga it seems the difference is that devotion to devatānussati causes the devas to love you.
  • "And when a bhikkhu is devoted to this recollection of devatās, he becomes dearly loved by devatās. He obtains even greater fullness of faith. He has much happiness and gladness. And if he penetrates no higher, he is at least headed for a happy destiny."
    (PoP VII 118)
Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
And who wouldn't want to be loved by the devas?!? :D

With metta :heart:,
Individual
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

'discernment found both in himself and the devas'

even more interesting: now assuming this was said to a stream entrant this would make sense. The path to becoming a deva is the development of saddha, sila, suta, caga, panna (faith, virtue, knowledge, generosity and insight). These are abundant in a stream entrant. Also if a stream entrant is born in the deva world he will go on to become enlightened in that life. So for a lay person who hasnt renounced this is a perfect path.
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Rui Sousa

Post by Rui Sousa »

I find these recollections very beneficial.

Recollecting the qualities of the Devas, and the actions that led to their birth on that plane of existence, gives me great confidence on the triple gem.

It also gives me a different perspective of what is experienced.
With Metta