YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Buddho - Page 12 - Dhamma Wheel

Buddho

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Khalil Bodhi

Re: Buddho

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:36 pm

To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:
My Practice Blog:

dhammarelax

Postby dhammarelax » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:30 pm

Even if the flesh & blood in my body dry up, leaving just the skin, tendons, & bones, I will use all my human firmness, human persistence and human striving. There will be no relaxing my persistence until I am the first of my generation to attain full awakening in this lifetime. ed. AN 2.5

bodom

Postby bodom » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:03 pm

To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
http://www.ajahnchah.org/

Khalil Bodhi

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:42 pm

To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:
My Practice Blog:

badscooter

Postby badscooter » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:16 pm

"whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon will be the inclination of one's mind"

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:48 pm

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:43 am

Off-topic posts moved here:

:anjali:
Mike

jollybean

Postby jollybean » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:25 pm

I'd just like to share my experience...

Over the years, I've experimented with using "buddho", "in" and "out", and counting the breaths from "1... 10" as mental repetitions.

What I found is that mentally repeating "buddho" doesn't feel nearly as smooth and comfortable, if you will, as counting "1... 10".

I don't know why that is, perhaps something to do with the tone/pronunciation in the mind. For example, I've even tried "buddha" instead of "buddho", and it's a lot more comfortable for me.

Of course, this is entirely personal, so I believe whatever works for someone else does not necessarily mean it will work best for you.

Eventually, mentally counting "1... 10" works best for me in quieting the mind, until I'm focused on the breath.

Richkierich

Postby Richkierich » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:57 am

Greetings,

I am sorry to have to bump an old thread, but I have a question regarding Buddho, so I thought I could ask in here.

I am practicing reciting Buddho not only during meditation to still and calm the mind, but also in daily activities, so that the mind stays with what I am doing, just one thing I would like to clarify though, do I focus on the word Buddho? Or the actual activity I am doing while reciting Buddho?

Like for example, in breath, Bud, out breath, Dho, here, do I place my focus on the word Bud...Dho itself? Or do I focus on the in and out breath? Same goes, while doing something, do I focus on the word Buddho, or the act of the chore itself?

I am sorry to ask this, but this got me real confused :? Any advise for me?

Much much thanks :anjali:

massara

Postby massara » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:21 am

bodom

Postby bodom » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:17 pm

To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
http://www.ajahnchah.org/

Richkierich

Postby Richkierich » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:23 am

Laurens

Postby Laurens » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:59 am

I use Buddho sometimes if my mind is particularly unfocused. The issue I have is that the instructions tend to state "repeat untill no longer needed". I will use Buddho until the attention seems fixed on the breath but then when I drop it I go back to square one.

Does anyone with a bit more experience have any suggestions as to whether there are any signalling factors that suggest buddho is no longer needed? Do I just carry on until it fades away on its own or keep dropping it and picking it up until I dont need to pick it up again?
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Carl Sagan

jollybean

Postby jollybean » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:58 pm

Javi

Postby Javi » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:24 am

Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā — All things decay and disappoint, it is through vigilance that you succeed — Mahāparinibbāna Sutta

Tārakā timiraṃ dīpo māyāvaśyāya budbudaḥ supinaṃ vidyud abhraṃ ca evaṃ draṣṭavya saṃskṛtam — A shooting star, a clouding of the sight, a lamp, An illusion, a drop of dew, a bubble, A dream, a lightning’s flash, a thunder cloud — This is the way one should see the conditioned — Vajracchedikā Prajñāpāramitā

I have seen all things that are done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a chase after wind — Ecclesiastes 1.14

acinteyyo

Postby acinteyyo » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:41 pm

Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”