Greetings,

Please post:

* Ideas on how to better operate the study group here
* Your interest in volunteering to lead an upcoming session
* Sutta or texts to study
* Any other comments and ideas

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions, Comments and Feedback for the Study Group

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:28 am

Greetings,

We've also had a request for a Basic Course to run parallel to the Majjhima Nikaya Sutta Course, for newcomers to Theravada Buddhism.

If anyone has any ideas for content or syllabus, please let us know here.

Metta,
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:10 pm

Hi Retro

For a basic intro to Theravada, there are a couple of texts that I always recommend:

-- The Noble Eightfold Path The Way to the End of Suffering by Bhikkhu Bodhi:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... toend.html

-- Buddhism in a Nutsell by Narada Mahathera:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... shell.html

Kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Will » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:05 pm

Another good intro is the classic, shorter text The Word of the Buddha which is online is several places.

http://www.buddhanet.net/budsas/ebud/wo ... wobtoc.htm
This noble eightfold path is the ancient path traveled by all the Buddhas of eons past. Nagara Sutta
Will

Postby Tex » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:02 pm

"The serene and peaceful mind is the true epitome of human achievement."-- Ajahn Chah, Living Dhamma

"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi
Tex

Postby Lazy_eye » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:22 am

Perhaps the session leader each week could start off the discussion with some questions for us to consider, a peg or two to hang the discussion on.
Lazy_eye

Postby mikenz66 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:52 am

Lazy_eye wrote:Perhaps the session leader each week could start off the discussion with some questions for us to consider, a peg or two to hang the discussion on.

Good idea. There are questions in this book if we can't come up with original ones:
Pressing out Pure Honey, by Sharda Rogell
PDF here: http://www.dharma.org/bcbs/Pages/publications.html

Mike
mikenz66

Postby bodom » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:11 pm

mikenz66 wrote:
Lazy_eye wrote:Perhaps the session leader each week could start off the discussion with some questions for us to consider, a peg or two to hang the discussion on.

Good idea. There are questions in this book if we can't come up with original ones:
Pressing out Pure Honey, by Sharda Rogell
PDF here: http://www.dharma.org/bcbs/Pages/publications.html

Mike

Great book! Bhikkhu Bodhi wrote the foreward to it so you know its legit. :twothumbsup:

:namaste:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby phil » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:27 am

Hi all

I would propose not locking the threads after a week - they would become inactive naturally enough without locking them, and these suttas are so deep and important that it is a bit of a shame in my opinion if one can't return with new questions/insights about them. Sure, a new thread is always possible, but since the sutta is posted in full, these threads would be great ongoing resources for discussion. Just my opinion and I'm very happy to work with the way you have it set up currently. :smile:

Metta,

Phil
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
phil

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:38 am

Greetings Phil,

Thanks for your suggestion.

This seems like a good as any time to mention that jcsuperstar is now looking after the Study Group and as such he has a degree of ownership to make changes to the schedule and the way the Study Group is managed.

That said, I'll explain the reasons why discussion topics are currently closed at the end of seven days...

The main reason they're closed is so that the Study Group remains focused on a single discussion item at a time, just like a real Study Group or Book Club. If all topics were left open, it would be little different to any other sub-forum, and the older topics would get replies and bump themselves up over the top of the current ones... meaning the sequence of threads could get out of whack and the 'current' topic could get lost amongst the others.

I made sure in the closure post for the first few weeks that it was clear people could continue discussing certain aspects of interest elsewhere, so they could see the closure wasn't in any way an attempt to stifle discussion. This still remains the case now, even if there is no formal closure post.

:reading:

Metta,

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby phil » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:49 am

Hi Retro

That's fine with me. :smile:

metta,

phil
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
phil

Postby jcsuperstar » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:15 pm

one thing i think i would be up for is if you guys/gals have a sutta youre really interested in us going through, then make a sugestion. i know some suttas are more popular than others and people might like to take a look at them as a group, and also maybe you have a sutta you think is often overlooked and would like to see it worked through?

the only caveat here is make sure either its avaiable online or you want to type it up

also unrelated to this study group maybe it would be :quote: neat :quote: to take a look at the heart and diamond sutras from a purely theravada POV relating them back to the pali canon? this would have to be done a bit more delicately as some will feel toes may get stepped on and i dont want to start some us vs them thing. but i think if the dalai lama can write a book on the gospels surely we can talk about a couple short sutras....
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:04 am

Hi JC,

Could we continue for a while with the selection from Bhikkhu Bodhi's sequence that we started with? We are slowly heading towards the liberation teachings...

Metta
Mike
mikenz66

Postby jcsuperstar » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:10 am

mikenz66 wrote:Hi JC,

Could we continue for a while with the selection from Bhikkhu Bodhi's sequence that we started with? We are slowly heading towards the liberation teachings...

Metta
Mike

thats the plan to just stick to the guide. i just offered the other just in case.... :anjali:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:43 am

Greetings JC, Mike, all,

It could be possible to run the two in parallel... there's nothing saying we can't have a weekly MN session run concurrently alongside a few "Mahayana Sutras from a Theravadin perspective" sessions or suttas by request etc.. There was talk early on about doing a parallel Beginners Class but this never got off the ground due to lack of demand and the lack of a ready-made syllabus.

I'll leave it for JC to decide.

Metta,

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Sher » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:20 am

Hello,
I am interested in the sutta study, and I wanted to ask about the schedule. I have looked at the thread, but I don't seem to see what we are studying throughout June. Can you please tell me where to find this information or post the June schedule? Also, does the week run Tuesday to Tuesday? That seems to be what I see by looking at the lock dates. Thanks for your help, Sher
Sher

Postby jcsuperstar » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:16 am

yeah it's pretty much tue-tue but i think thats wen-wen in other parts of the world.. i dont know :thinking:
MN 19. Dvedhāvitakka Sutta,MN 20. Vitakkasaṇṭhāna Sutta,MN 7. Vatthūpama Sutta, MN 8. Sallekha Sutta, MN 2. Sabbāsava Sutta
are the next 5 suttas we'll study.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

jcsuperstar

Postby Sher » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:10 pm

jcsuperstar wrote:yeah it's pretty much tue-tue but i think thats wen-wen in other parts of the world.. i dont know :thinking:
MN 19. Dvedhāvitakka Sutta,MN 20. Vitakkasaṇṭhāna Sutta,MN 7. Vatthūpama Sutta, MN 8. Sallekha Sutta, MN 2. Sabbāsava Sutta

Thank you for the schedule. Sher
Sher

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:00 am

jcsuperstar wrote:yeah it's pretty much tue-tue but i think thats wen-wen in other parts of the world.. i dont know :thinking:

hi Jc
Hasn't MN7,8 & 2 been done?

and is MN9 on the books at some point?

I don't know if you are aware of this site http://www.vgweb.org/sutta.aspx not all the suttas are their but a nice selection are.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby jcsuperstar » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:20 am

Manapa wrote:

hi Jc
Hasn't MN7,8 & 2 been done?

and is MN9 on the books at some point?

I don't know if you are aware of this site http://www.vgweb.org/sutta.aspx not all the suttas are their but a nice selection are.

i've just been going down Bodhi's list, i'll check to see if anything is amiss
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

jcsuperstar

Next

Return to Study Group