Discovering Theravada ...

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
pererin

Re: Discovering Theravada ...

Post by pererin »

Manapa wrote:Hi Pererin
here is a pdf of mindfulness in plain english may be cheeper to just print or go to a self publish site (Lulu.com)than to order it?
Sorry Manapa - did I miss that pdf?

Metta
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Dear Element,
Element wrote:For me, the term "beginner" is vague, subjective but most of all, extremely dangerous.
How about "someone who not read any Suttas yet"?
Element wrote: If one studies certain Buddhist subjects & considers them essential then one will always remain a "beginner" because one will have never actually started.
Yes, but there appear to be some different opinions on what is essential...
Element wrote:When I first learned Dhamma, as a beginner, I was taught about the sense bases and about how feeling, cravings (greed, hatred & delusion), attachment, self-view & suffering arose from sense contact and of course, how these things that generate suffering can be controlled and ended.
There are Suttas on those subjects in Chapters VII to IX of "In the Buddha's Words".

Metta
Mike
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Manapa,
Manapa wrote:here is a pdf of mindfulness in plain english
I don't think the board's software allows the uploading of pdf files. But the book can be downloaded here:
http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe.html

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
pererin

Post by pererin »

Thank you, Bhante.

Metta
Element

Post by Element »

pererin wrote:I regret any unskilful use of language on my part, but I knew of no other word I should use in its place.
Please do not 'regret' Mark.

Buddhism is something quite vast and nebulous.

I suppose what I was trying to say is what one studies depends on one's personal objectives.

Sooner more than later, each must choose what is suitable for them.

Peace,

Element
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Dhammanando, Peririn
I think I just forgot to post the link but it is to the same site but different page!
http://www.urbandharma.org/pdf/mindfuln ... nglish.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill