Suggestions, Comments and Feedback for the Study Group

Where we gather to focus on a single discourse or thematic collection from the Sutta Piṭaka (new selection every two weeks)
Sher

Re: Suggestions, Comments and Feedback for the Study Group

Post by Sher »

Hello,
I am interested in the sutta study, and I wanted to ask about the schedule. I have looked at the thread, but I don't seem to see what we are studying throughout June. Can you please tell me where to find this information or post the June schedule? Also, does the week run Tuesday to Tuesday? That seems to be what I see by looking at the lock dates. Thanks for your help, Sher
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

yeah it's pretty much tue-tue but i think thats wen-wen in other parts of the world.. i dont know :thinking:
MN 19. Dvedhāvitakka Sutta,MN 20. Vitakkasaṇṭhāna Sutta,MN 7. Vatthūpama Sutta, MN 8. Sallekha Sutta, MN 2. Sabbāsava Sutta
are the next 5 suttas we'll study.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Sher

Post by Sher »

jcsuperstar wrote:yeah it's pretty much tue-tue but i think thats wen-wen in other parts of the world.. i dont know :thinking:
MN 19. Dvedhāvitakka Sutta,MN 20. Vitakkasaṇṭhāna Sutta,MN 7. Vatthūpama Sutta, MN 8. Sallekha Sutta, MN 2. Sabbāsava Sutta
Thank you for the schedule. Sher
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

jcsuperstar wrote:yeah it's pretty much tue-tue but i think thats wen-wen in other parts of the world.. i dont know :thinking:
hi Jc
Hasn't MN7,8 & 2 been done?

and is MN9 on the books at some point?

I don't know if you are aware of this site http://www.vgweb.org/sutta.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; not all the suttas are their but a nice selection are.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

Manapa wrote:
hi Jc
Hasn't MN7,8 & 2 been done?

and is MN9 on the books at some point?

I don't know if you are aware of this site http://www.vgweb.org/sutta.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; not all the suttas are their but a nice selection are.
i've just been going down Bodhi's list, i'll check to see if anything is amiss
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
chownah

Post by chownah »

Suggestion:
It would be nice if the title for each Sutta being studied could have the English meaning included.....like it is for the Snake Simile.
chownah
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Could we have a look at some of the Sutta Nipata at some stage? I have heard it referred to as a bit of a hidden gold-mine, and my wanderings through it thus far have been fruitful.

:anjali:
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

That would be good once we get through the MN. I found reading the Sn with the help of Bhikkhu Bodhi's excellent talks very illuminating:
http://www.bodhimonastery.net/courses/Sn/Sn_course.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta
Mike
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

i'd love to do the sutta nipata!!!!
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Magificent

:anjali:
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

Some discussion of the Upanisa Sutta might be interesting and useful.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
Avery

Post by Avery »

Hello, I am writing an essay on the Maha-sihanada Sutta, which is shocking to my positivist instincts, and I would like to hear what other people have to say about it. I hope we can discuss it sometime soon!

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .html#n-15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

Avery wrote:Hello, I am writing an essay on the Maha-sihanada Sutta, which is shocking to my positivist instincts, and I would like to hear what other people have to say about it. I hope we can discuss it sometime soon!

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .html#n-15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
i'm pretty sure we did that one already
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Yes, it was back here:
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2571" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, I imagine that there's no problem starting a thread on any particular Sutta it in the General forum (or the Classical forum if you want a classical discussion).

Mike
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
mikenz66 wrote:However, I imagine that there's no problem starting a thread on any particular Sutta it in the General forum (or the Classical forum if you want a classical discussion).
You imagine correctly, Mike!

:thumbsup:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."