Tensions within Modern Buddhism, Real or Illusory?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Placid-pool

Re: Tensions within Modern Buddhism, Real or Illusory?

Post by Placid-pool »

LisaMann wrote:Well, I am feeling some tension, although at it's core, it is illusory.

I just found out that I got banned from... that one place. No explanation, nothing. Ouch. :cry: IRL. It's like being kicked out of a family, grumpy uncles and all.

I'm so sorry Lisa - even if you are unhappy on a board it always feels better to make the decision to leave yourself, rather than be unceremoniously and callously booted. :hug:
Element

Post by Element »

LisaMann wrote:I just found out that I got banned from... that one place. No explanation, nothing. Ouch. :cry: IRL. It's like being kicked out of a family, grumpy uncles and all.
Hello Lisa,

I do recall reading the above previously. I did not intend to be insensitive. True family is rooted in the Tathagata. Tathataga looked upon all equally.

Retro is cool. 8-) Son of the Tathagato.
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

LisaMann wrote:Well, I am feeling some tension, although at it's core, it is illusory.

I just found out that I got banned from... that one place. No explanation, nothing. Ouch. :cry: IRL. It's like being kicked out of a family, grumpy uncles and all.
how did you get banned? i've never seen you say anything contriversal?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Ben

Post by Ben »

LisaMann wrote:
Element wrote:Chat site should be challenging. It is good to be more than a place for emotional catharsis. :coffee:
Yeah, but it shouldn't be a flame-fest either.
Hey Lisa

I am sorry about what happened, this is the first time I learned that you were banned!
And I agree, there should be a middle ground, and I hope that is what we are creating here.
Anyway, its good to have you on board.
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Ben

Post by Ben »

Element wrote:Retro is cool. 8-)
Indeed! Very cool!
Today while some of us were sweltering, Retro informed me he was abiding in sublime air-conditioned comfort!
'Your's truly' experienced every shade of envy.
It was an interesting experience!
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

Hey everyone.

I want to thank you all for the MANY insightful and respectful posts made in this discussion. Speaking for my self (non-self?) i feel that i have gained greater clarity here, about these issues.

[EDIT: Comments regarding other sites removed - Retro.]

I would therefore request that the moderators consider closing this discussion
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Chris,

[EDIT: Quoted comments from Christopher::: regarding other sites removed - Retro.]

I'm sorry to hear that the thread has been the cause of this. I will close it as requested, but if you decide you want it opening again just pm me.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)