Teaching Dhamma with mindfulness.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Teaching Dhamma with mindfulness.

Post by SarathW »

I hope the following passage may help you:

---------------------------
“Once one has attained full Awakening and needs to do nothing more for one's own welfare, one continues to act for the welfare of others within the framework of three frames of reference (or "establishings of mindfulness") [§179], different from the four discussed in this section. The three are: the ability to remain (1) untroubled, mindful, and alert when others do not respond to one's teachings; (2) equanimous, mindful, and alert when some do and some do not respond to one's teachings; and (3) untroubled, mindful, and alert when others do respond to one's teachings. In other words, one's mental balance is so firm that others' success or failure in responding to one's help cannot disturb the mind. It is only in this context — the three frames of reference following full Awakening — that the Buddha allows for the possibility of helping others with no thought for one's own welfare, for at that point one's true welfare has no further needs. The Awakened person lives out the remainder of his/her life, insofar as his/her kamma allows, for "the welfare of the many, the happiness of the many, out of compassion for the world" [Mv.I.11.1].”

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... part2.html
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
SarathW

Re: Teaching Dhamma with mindfulness.

Post by SarathW »

Great advice to lay people how to teach Dhamma.

P210 - 213

2. Teaching the Doctrine (Dhamma-desana)
The Atthasalini defines teaching the Doctrine as follows:
“From a desire for gain, thinking, 'Thus they will know me to be a
preacher', someone preaches a sermon. That sermon is not of much
fruit. One who makes the attainment of emancipation the chief
motive, not a desire for honour, and so preaches the Doctrine in ..................................

http://www.urbandharma.org/pdf/PDF_Budd ... havana.pdf
SarathW

Re: Teaching Dhamma with mindfulness.

Post by SarathW »

Another interesting Sutta:
============
"It's not easy to teach the Dhamma to others, Ananda. The Dhamma should be taught to others only when five qualities are established within the person teaching. Which five?

"[1] The Dhamma should be taught with the thought, 'I will speak step-by-step.'

"[2] The Dhamma should be taught with the thought, 'I will speak explaining the sequence [of cause & effect].'

"[3] The Dhamma should be taught with the thought, 'I will speak out of compassion.'

"[4] The Dhamma should be taught with the thought, 'I will speak not for the purpose of material reward.'

"[5] The Dhamma should be taught with the thought, 'I will speak without hurting myself or others.'[1]

"It's not easy to teach the Dhamma to others, Ananda. The Dhamma should be taught to others only when these five qualities are established within the person teaching."

Note
1.According to the Commentary, "hurting oneself" means exalting oneself. "Hurting others" means putting other people down.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html