urban buddhist monk

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
No_Mind

Re: urban buddhist monk

Post by No_Mind »

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:Quite by chance, I found this article.
I will immediately state that he concurs that not everyone can do as he has done... but it's very interesting....
Excellent article. But his path consists of turning away from what he dislikes. That is an incorrect way to approach it. His inspiration, Gandhi, often lived in palatial homes of his followers and benefactors (though never enjoying the luxury they provided) right in middle of what he sought to prevent.

When riots broke out in Calcutta following India's independence from Great Britain, Gandhi sat almost in middle of the riot, and fasted, till rioteers stopped. This fast was one of the most stunning demonstrations of the moral power for which he was justly famous. As Lord Mountbatten, then Governor-General of India, wrote to him "In the Punjab we have 55,000 soldiers and large scale rioting on our hands. In Bengal our forces consist of one man, and there is no rioting."

It is very hard to follow Gandhi, in real life. I have tried and failed. For example, in India greasing the palm is very normal. Buddhism does not forbid bribing (if the bribing is not towards an unholy end but to get what is due to one naturally). Gandhi would never allow bribing. He would ask his followers to gently persuade the bribe taker into seeing the folly of their ways (which is really tough; and exponentially tougher than living like a monk in the city). It is one thing to turn away and avoid the evil doer and quite another to gently persuade the evil doer to listen to his conscience and change into a better person.

Gandhi is the only modern person I have found who is very close to (historical) Jesus.

btw - The film "Gandhi" which is quoted in the article tried its best but it is not fully accurate. Fitting 50 years of political life into 3 hours is well nigh impossible. But it does give a reasonably good synopsis though.
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

PadmaPhala wrote:possible within Theravada?
Absolutely possible for a good Vinaya Bhikkhu or Bhikkhuni. And good and necessary for the city as well.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Buddhism does not forbid bribing (if the bribing is not towards an unholy end but to get what is due to one naturally).
Huh?...(used to invite further comment, or to express a lack of understanding)...
TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

appicchato wrote:
Buddhism does not forbid bribing (if the bribing is not towards an unholy end but to get what is due to one naturally).
Huh?...(used to invite further comment, or to express a lack of understanding)...
I'm glad you said that.... I wasn't sure about this, but it didn't sound right to me either.....
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

appicchato wrote:
I quite understand your surprise. But let me try and elaborate with two prong explanation -

1 ) An Indian Bhante had told me (rightly or wrongly) that precepts cannot override custom unless performing that act is grave mistake. Such as (he had said) many tribals in North East India (where he is from) have small glasses of home brewed toddy (palm wine) with same frequency as we have tea or coffee. They greet guests with toddy, when they get depressed they have toddy, when they are elated they have toddy, when they are stressed they have toddy, when they are relaxed they have toddy. It is the custom.

They have been doing so for centuries, perhaps for millennia. If these tribals convert to Buddhism they cannot be expected to follow the Fifth Precept. According to the Bhante, these people will be reborn in a way that allows them to maintain all precepts if they adhere to whatever precepts they can in this life. He also said that First Precept says do not kill animals, but almost no Buddhist nation is vegetarian. So the precepts are guideposts and not binding for lay people.

Now I have no clue if this is correct or not. Don't shoot the messenger. I maintain the Five Precepts to the best of my ability.

2 ) When you tangle with government bureaucracy in a developing nation you are expected to grease the palm. Otherwise nothing will get done. Let us say you want to build a house and the municipality is expected to approve the design (design done by a licensed architect). If you do not grease palm then your building plan will not be approved. There is no way around it (only where government is concerned). Since in such cases bribery is a "victim less crime" is there any thing which forbids it in Buddhism. Not as far as I understand. Will I not pay ransom if my child was kidnapped? In same way will I not pay bribe if construction of my house was stalled?

Whether bribery can be eradicated by joint and collective effort etc etc is a bigger, broader discussion that is not a part of this Forum. But it is no way a major departure from Right Action.

Let me stick my neck out a little bit. In England healthcare is nationalized. No one has to worry about falling ill. In US burden of medical cost is tremendous. Elderly people in US buy prescription medicine from Canada and it is not legal. Does it break Buddhist precepts or Eight Fold Path. I do not think so.

In same way I do not think bribery for non violent non criminal reasons is a substantial departure from Eight Fold Path.

Not entirely relevant - it is very easy to be the perfect Buddhist, perfect Christian, perfect Gandhian in a nation like Finland where there are plentiful jobs, free education, free healthcare, great social security, unending unemployment benefits, no corruption (there is 10% unemployment but the unemployment benefits more than make up for any financial loss).

Imagine it this way - A Brit or a Finn only worries if a near and dear one is going to live or die if they have cancer; an American or an Indian has to worry if they will live or die and if the difference between living and dying is bankruptcy (basis of Breaking Bad). Obviously the Brit will do better at work and meditation because they are not plagued by worry of ill health of family members all the time.

It is difficult to maintain such a pure, innocent, unblemished life in Somalia, Nigeria, Afghanistan or Syria (last 4 years).

Whether you are able to maintain a pristine life depends on a lot of external factors does it not.

P.S to next comment by NoBSBuddhist - my knowledge of British NHS comes mainly from internet and Michael Moore's documentary "Sicko". I maybe wrong. But I heard you guys do not have to worry about falling ill in same way as we and Americans do.
Last edited by No_Mind on Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
TheNoBSBuddhist

Notwithstanding the many comments i could make with regard to your post, as you are only 'the messenger' I will personally refrain from shooting you down.

However, you are quite incorrect about the Health service in the UK. There are some aspects of care you are definitely expected to pay for.

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
ihrjordan

Post by ihrjordan »

This whole discussion gave me an idea (as it might have a lot of other people) why doesn't someone make a sort of "guide" to living in the world as a strict lay buddhist striving for nibbana? we could post things like how to keep the precepts in daily life, recommended jobs, things having to do with money, tips on how to lead a more buddhist life, study schedules, meditation schedules suited for certain work hours and who knows what else. I'm sure if we took a lot of the posts we found on DW right now we could make one but it would be cool if someone made an all in 1 guide. :popcorn:
"Ko imaṃ pathaviṃ vicessati, yamalokañca imaṃ sadevakaṃ.
ko dhammapadaṃ sudesitaṃ, kusalo pupphamiva pacessati"
TheNoBSBuddhist

Start a thread! I'll join in!

Feathers

Post by Feathers »

I'd find it a fascinating read, although all I'm currently striving for is the discipline to do daily metta and stick to vegetarianism :p
culaavuso

Post by culaavuso »

ihrjordan wrote:This whole discussion gave me an idea (as it might have a lot of other people) why doesn't someone make a sort of "guide" to living in the world as a strict lay buddhist striving for nibbana?
A Simple Guide to Lay Life by Robert Bogoda
Lay Buddhist Practice by Ven. Bhikkhu Khantipalo
The Buddhist Layman: four essays by R. Bogoda, Susan Elbaum Jootla, and M.O'C. Walshe
ihrjordan

Post by ihrjordan »

ihrjordan

Post by ihrjordan »

culaavuso wrote:
ihrjordan wrote:This whole discussion gave me an idea (as it might have a lot of other people) why doesn't someone make a sort of "guide" to living in the world as a strict lay buddhist striving for nibbana?
A Simple Guide to Lay Life by Robert Bogoda
Lay Buddhist Practice by Ven. Bhikkhu Khantipalo
The Buddhist Layman: four essays by R. Bogoda, Susan Elbaum Jootla, and M.O'C. Walshe
and thank you but I think it would be interesting to see a community guide to laylife with everyones personal experience thrown in the mix : ) if you want to check it out here ya go http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=20970
kilanta

Post by kilanta »

No_Mind wrote: So no it is not possible to be an urban monk except in short spells of a month. Maybe a rare person here and there can. But over long time such a reclusive life while living amidst few million people will cause mental problems unless the person had schizoid, loner tendencies to begin with and was in some way mentally abnormal.
Trying to do this might very well turn one into a schizoid, loner and mentally abnormal, instead of attaining any kind of an enlightenment. I think it is important for ones well-being and mental/spiritual growth to be in some kind of harmony with ones surroundings. Usually being in harmony with ones surroundings means being on at least somewhat same level with people around.

Living like a monk in urban setting in a country which has no such tradition would most likely mean not being in any kind of harmony with world and people around. I doubt that would bring forward true wisdom.
walkart

Post by walkart »

Of corse it's possible, you have just to do it.
It's not easy at the begining (no tv, web..) but it's ok after some time. I spent some time like that with one meal, early wake up, no tv, no web, no phone etc (but continuing to work) and it's was one of the bestest time of my life. Now i'am trying to return at such routine.

The danger in urban-monk-lay-routine is other peoples who will bring tentations, distabilisation, etc. (actualy i broke this mode because of external peoples, so it is realy important to be secluded from everybody, or make some distance with them to avoid all unsuitable contacts). So if you are realy alone, realy secluded, it's possible to keep it rooling on until Nibbana :)

My urban-monk-lay-routine was:
3.00 pm - wake up + shower + meditation
4.00 pm - puja + meal
5.00 pm - sutta reading
6.00 pm - work
2.00 am - meditation
3.00 am - sutta reading + dhamma talk
4.00 am - meditation
5.00 am - sutta reading
6.00 am - meditation
7.00 am - dhamma talk
8.00 am - meditation
9.00 am - sleeping
3.00 am wake up + shower + meditation
etc.
Of corse it's no so regid and you can sweetch hours, make somethink less, somethik more etc.