PadmaPhala

urban buddhist monk

Post by PadmaPhala »

possible within Theravada?
cooran

Re: urban buddhist monk

Post by cooran »

Hello PadmaPhala,

Could you put forward a paragraph or so on your thoughts on this to start the topic please? DhammaWheel is a discussion forum not a one-liner like twitter.

Kind regards,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
chownah

Post by chownah »

I would classify Bangkok as being urban and it is chock full of monks so I guess the answer to your inquiry is "yes" emphatically!
chownah
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

+1 :coffee:
StephenR

Post by StephenR »

if this thread is still alive I would like to continue with it...

Stephen
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

StephenR wrote:if this thread is still alive I would like to continue with it...

Stephen
Looks like it died before it really got started over a year ago. You've rebirthed it and it looks like it might follow the same path yet again, unless someone posts something more substantial than two sentences...

:jumping:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

I think the main shape of this thread is probably going to be along the lines of what sort of effort can be made to make modern living more conducive to Dhamma.

Monastic living is taken as the summum bonum of this, and modern living is seen as better in some ways, worse in others, when compared with the lay lifestyles of yester-year. In any event, most layfolk strive to integrate the Dhamma into their livelihoods.

So! What sorts of shapes does an 'urban monastic livelihood' take? I would venture that it's a subtle shift of emphasis from the above, to wit:

"How do we integrate livelihood into our Dhamma practice?"

In this sense, Dhamma is the priority, just as it is for monastics, but for A-Z reasons ordination cannot occur.

:thinking:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
purist_andrew

Post by purist_andrew »

I live just feet outside New York City and there is a Theravada temple there with bhikkhus. I have even seen them riding the city bus numerous times in full robe dress. I imagine the noise could be disturbing but they are well versed in meditation practice nonetheless.

In fact, they hold many weekend retreats, events and teachings with monks from other centers. Also, not long ago, Bhikkhu Bodhi resided there for months, perhaps even years at a time working on various projects. He still visits to lead weekly services with the resident monks and laity from time to time.
Feathers

Post by Feathers »

Wasn't there a story about Ajahn Chah visiting London, encountering some hostile / violent local, and declaring he would send all his monks to London for training - that it was a real test of equanimity? I may be remembering, I googled to try and find a source and couldn't, but it sticks in my head for some reason . . .

If there is a community to provide food, accommodation and transport, I don't see why monastics shouldn't thrive in cities - and be of service to a great many people, as it will probably make it easier for more people to get to talks and retreats, compared to having to go into the middle of the countryside (let along another country).
TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

I read this differently;
I'm wondering whether what the OP intended was actually this:

Can an unordained man (as 'monk' is the operative word) live a life as closely to an ordained life as possible, but outside of a monastery, in an urban situation?

I would say yes, to a point, because in any urban situation, at one point or another, the handling of money will be both essential and vital....
However, in most other ways, I think there would be little difficulty in living an ascetic life....
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Feathers wrote:Wasn't there a story about Ajahn Chah visiting London, encountering some hostile / violent local, and declaring he would send all his monks to London for training - that it was a real test of equanimity? I may be remembering, I googled to try and find a source and couldn't, but it sticks in my head for some reason . . .
Based on similar stories, it sounds like something Ajahn Chah would do to teach his pupils!
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:I read this differently;
I'm wondering whether what the OP intended was actually this:

Can an unordained man (as 'monk' is the operative word) live a life as closely to an ordained life as possible, but outside of a monastery, in an urban situation?

I would say yes, to a point, because in any urban situation, at one point or another, the handling of money will be both essential and vital....
However, in most other ways, I think there would be little difficulty in living an ascetic life....
I have toyed with the idea of living with ten precepts at my home. But eating once a day is quite impossible while working full time (except for few like General Stanley McChrystal).

Completely forsaking all entertainment is also difficult. I love Sinatra, Perry Como, Elvis, Bee Gees, Springsteen, Credence Clearwater Revival. Cannot imagine life without listening to their voice. Cannot imagine life without Breaking Bad and House MD also. Cannot imagine life without Blue Danube and Beethoven's Ode To Joy.

So no it is not possible to be an urban monk except in short spells of a month. Maybe a rare person here and there can. But over long time such a reclusive life while living amidst few million people will cause mental problems unless the person had schizoid, loner tendencies to begin with and was in some way mentally abnormal.
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
StephenR

Post by StephenR »

Well, there are certainly many different views on this subject.

What I personally mean by being an urban monk, is that while I live in the city, partake of its various pleasures, I follow the dharma as it unfolds in my heart.
There are a few older practitioners in my neighborhood who live a similar lifestyle, none of us sit with any group now, we meet when it happens on the street,
rather like joining an online community and "connecting" with someone. The Buddha, I have heard, said that it would be better to travel and meditate alone than
to keep company with others who do not share one's view. So it seems that as I age there are fewer and fewer people whom I meet that I can talk with.

Perhaps that is being friendly without clinging...:-)

There are so many ways to be involved with the dharma, so many views...I view my monastery as the city where I Iive, unattached to anyone, friendly to all.

Stephen
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

StephenR wrote:The Buddha, I have heard, said that it would be better to travel and meditate alone than to keep company with others who do not share one's view.
Yes, see the Rhinocerous Horn Sutta.
TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

Quite by chance, I found this article.
I will immediately state that he concurs that not everyone can do as he has done... but it's very interesting....
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....