Change registration security question?

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
BlackBird

Change registration security question?

Post by BlackBird »

Hi guys

Currently when registering people have to answer a question: What number is larger than 1000 but smaller than 1002. Seemingly this question is meant to stop some of the more basic spam bots, but it also seems that a number of bots have been programmed to answer this question correctly. I wonder if the software allows you to change the question. If so I think it might be beneficial to do so, to change the question to something the bot programmers do not have in their list of default questions the bot can answer.

I don't know what the story is, just an idea I thought of that I felt could be of some benefit.

With metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Ben

Re: Change registration security question?

Post by Ben »

Thanks Jack!
The issue of spam and spammers is a real priority for us.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
plwk

Post by plwk »

This should kill any spam bots: In Elizabeth Taylor's marriages & divorces, which husband is after the 4th but before the 7th?
mal4mac

Post by mal4mac »

Can spam-bots get past the visual recognition question? I had to make two attempts!
- Mal
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

For my security question, the number between 1000 and 1002 was once asked as the number between 1005 and 1007. My answer is 1006, which was once accurate but is now inaccurate.

Did the cyborgs get me?
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

On a different level, the 'type the characters you see' is a real bummer if you have a colour-vision disorder... I had to renew it 5 times before I felt sufficiently confident in replying.........
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....