Giving to beggars

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Aloka

Re: Giving to beggars

Post by Aloka »

Stephen K wrote:I plan on moving to Manchester, UK, perhaps later this year. I've been there twice, and I saw many beggars on the streets. I gave some change to some of them, to others not.

But the Buddha said "When asked, give even if you only have a little" (Dhp. 224).

Since at first I will be using my mother's money until I find a job there, I am not sure whether giving to all beggars will be the right thing to do - it would be a major drainage of money that really is not my own.

So, should I always give to every beggar, or just to some, or to no one?
Hi Stephen,

Some of the beggars here in the UK aren't always genuine. Here's an example:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/fa ... 04984.html

A very poor looking woman with no teeth used to ask people for money outside a supermarket in my area. One day I saw her with false teeth, cosmetics, and clean new clothes sitting laughing on a bus with a friend ! ...then the next day she was toothless outside a supermarket asking for money again.

There can also be people who are funding their alcohol or drug addiction.

If someone is sitting next to a notice with "Cold and hungry" on it, then I'll buy a sandwich and a hot drink and give that to them.

I don't give cash to people in city streets since the time I narrowly missed being mugged by a group of foreign men who gathered around me at a cash machine & told me I'd dropped some money (which I hadn't) as I was about to get a card from my purse.

I think its probably better to give a donation to a charity organisation/soup kitchen for the homeless.

With kind regards,

Aloka
Doshin

Post by Doshin »

Aloka wrote:Some of the beggars here in the UK aren't always genuine. Here's an example:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/fa ... 04984.html

A very poor looking woman with no teeth used to ask people for money outside a supermarket in my area. One day I saw her with false teeth, cosmetics, and clean new clothes sitting laughing on a bus with a friend ! ...then the next day she was toothless outside a supermarket asking for money again.
There will always be people around, that is not honest. If you search for such examples, that is all you will find. If I'm in a position, considering to give to one of the persons, from your two examples, I would include your facts in my consideration.

I'm convinced that begging, is *very* humiliating, and if people do that there is a very good reason for it, regardless of how we view/judge they situation.
Aloka wrote:There can also be people who are funding their alcohol or drug addiction.

If someone is sitting next to a notice with "Cold and hungry" on it, then I'll buy a sandwich and a hot drink and give that to them.
To me it sounds like you have a tough time, letting go of your money(/donation), after you have given it to somebody else ?

Is giving with restrictions/conditions, really generosity ?

What would be the difference of a drug/alcohol-addict, that gets money and
- use on drug/alcohol and then have money left for food/shelter/medicine
or if that person
- gets food/shelter/medicine, and then have more money for drug/alcohol
I don't see the difference, and in both cases giving, would be beneficial (however little). At the very least, it shows the person begging, that there are good people around, and that might at some time inspire them.
Aloka wrote: I don't give cash to people in city streets since the time I narrowly missed being mugged by a group of foreign men who gathered around me at a cash machine & told me I'd dropped some money (which I hadn't) as I was about to get a card from my purse.

I think its probably better to give a donation to a charity organisation/soup kitchen for the homeless.
I'm truly sorry to read about your episode. And I see that you have found your way of practising generosity, and I'm sure you give with your best intentions.

_/\_
Knowing about dhamma, does not imply knowing dhamma
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Doshin wrote:To me it sounds like you have a tough time, letting go of your money(/donation), after you have given it to somebody else ?
To me it sounds like you've decided to judge my motivation without even knowing me.
Since when did I say I was giving with restrictions/conditions ?

This thread was started by Stephen K asking about beggars in the UK - and I was simply presenting some facts as I've experienced them (and I'm a person who isn't wealthy). I'm not looking for an argument with anyone, thanks.

Ananda26

Post by Ananda26 »

Stephen K wrote:I plan on moving to Manchester, UK, perhaps later this year. I've been there twice, and I saw many beggars on the streets. I gave some change to some of them, to others not.

But the Buddha said "When asked, give even if you only have a little" (Dhp. 224).

Since at first I will be using my mother's money until I find a job there, I am not sure whether giving to all beggars will be the right thing to do - it would be a major drainage of money that really is not my own.

So, should I always give to every beggar, or just to some, or to no one?
In Numerical Discourses of the Buddha there is a discourse which uses the simile of the goldsmith with a scale and he knows by so much it has dipped down, by so much it has tipped up. Similarly a person keeps track of his money situation.

In Long Discourse #31 Buddha advises with one's riches one part he may enjoy at will, 2 parts he should put to work, 1 part he should set aside as reserve in times of need.

Personally I have some time in my life when people asked for money I let them do some work for me like cleaning and then paid them. That seemed to work with my budget and maintained an opportunity to earn money.

In the United States we have coins and paper money. The coins include pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters which I can keep in mind with budgeting.

Sometimes I would buy vegetables or fruits. There was a shrine there at one place I stayed and I would buy enough to give or offer every person who seemed to need it some food. They seemed to especially like me doing something for everyone in need.

I keep tithing in mind with my budget.
Doshin

Post by Doshin »

Aloka wrote:
Doshin wrote:To me it sounds like you have a tough time, letting go of your money(/donation), after you have given it to somebody else ?
To me it sounds like you've decided to judge my motivation without even knowing me.
Yes, I admit it could seem like that, when quoted without the context, I commented on. Yes I do not know you, hence I only comment on what you decide to write in your posts (my "sounds like..." referred to what I quoted, not to you as a person).
Aloka wrote:
Since when did I say I was giving with restrictions/conditions ?
You wrote some examples where, as I read it, more or less the recipient did not meet some conditions (not poor enough to be entitled to donation when begging). I did read that as restrictions on when to give to beggar(s). Or enforcing that donation went to food, when begging for food (i.e. enforcing a condition, that the donation went to food).

If I in any way did offend you, I'm sincerely sorry. I only tried to pick up a subject, that was triggered by what you wrote in your post.

_/\_
Knowing about dhamma, does not imply knowing dhamma
manas

Post by manas »

Dan74 wrote:A timely recognition of two wonderful Australians, I say!

It will also come in handy for Dame Gina as I hear the wedding bells are ringing for her at last. At last she found a match for herself, both in stature and personality. A man with a title already, with interest in mining and a keen concern for governance.

Here's a sneaky pic at the beautiful couple:

[attachment]
The Baron will help her realize her dream of Aussies working for two dollars a day. A perfect match.

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.