Dana - suggested places to make donations

Includes our Terms Of Service (please read first)

Dana - suggested places to make donations

Postby Ben » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:33 am

Hi Mawk,
Mawkish1983 wrote:
Ben wrote:Oh, dear me! No no no no!!!!!!!
I wouldn't even make a hint that anyone should give dana!

... but if we wanted to donate some money via paypal without our wives (who might forbid all financial transactions of a selfless nature) knowing, is there a system in place? How much does this place cost to operate (or is it secret?)?

Perhaps our wives were separated at birth!
I've previously raised the issue with 'TheDhamma' who owns Dhamma Wheel with an aim of making a donation. TheDhamma assured me that the running costs of Dhamma Wheel were inconsequential. If you would like to give Dana, then perhaps you could approach him with an offer to assist with DW's running costs.
Kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Re: Rational for Making Forums Invisible to Guests?

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:13 pm

Mawkish1983 wrote:... but if we wanted to donate some money via paypal without our wives (who might forbid all financial transactions of a selfless nature) knowing, is there a system in place? How much does this place cost to operate (or is it secret?)?

Hi Mawk,

Thank you for the offer, very much appreciated. But the costs to run this site are very small. There is domain name registration which is only about $10 USD per year and there is web hosting, which is more, but right now that is not very much either, until we reach something like 1 million posts or more. At that time, the web hosting will need to be upgraded to allow for more storage of information and more monthly bandwith. Even at that time I have no problem incurring the cost or if it should be too much, we could take up a collection as needed.

Thanks again. :anjali:
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby christopher::: » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:15 pm

Thank you, David.

:namaste:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
christopher:::

Postby Jechbi » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:04 pm

How about a dana button so that folks could make contributions that would be forwarded to a worthy cause? That would create a further opportunity for members to practice dana.

Although I can see how you might wish to avoid even the appearance of a money-motivated effort ...

(btw, thanks David for your generosity!)
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Jechbi

Postby Guy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:12 am

Thank you very much David, I am very grateful to be part of this helpful and friendly online community. :group:
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
Guy

Postby Ben » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:15 am

Hi Jechbi
Jechbi wrote:How about a dana button so that folks could make contributions that would be forwarded to a worthy cause? That would create a further opportunity for members to practice dana.

Although I can see how you might wish to avoid even the appearance of a money-motivated effort ...

(btw, thanks David for your generosity!)

I think that's a great idea. It is while I was a mod on another forum the thought came to me of how great it would be if we could, via the forum or some other internet-application, contribute financially to the maintenance of our monastic friends. Your 'dana button' reminded me all over again!
Cheers

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Ben
Site Admin

Postby appicchato » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:46 am

A pinned 'Dana' thread with links to pertinent websites might go a ways in this direction...maybe start with Global Buddhist Relief... http://www.buddhistglobalrelief.org ...which works with many reputable relief organizations that are already up and running... :thumbsup:
Last edited by appicchato on Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
appicchato

Postby Jechbi » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:47 pm

Bhante and Ben, that's a great idea. Here's a good link, with a nice, inspiring video. Not sure where a pinned dana thread or button might be most suitable on this board. Perhaps a matter for the mods/admins discretion ...
Jechbi

Re: Dana - suggested places to make donations

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:46 pm

This discussion is now here in the Announcements forum in the pinned area, so that all can see. Anyone can place a link or make a suggestion as to some worthy Buddhist causes and charities.

:group: :anjali:
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:53 pm

http://www.sakyadhita.org/pages/events.html Sakyadhita Association of Buddhist women, supports bhikkhunis

http://www.bhikkhuni.net/ Alliance for Bhikkhunis, also supports bhikkhunis
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:15 pm

what is the heart???
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:20 pm

Manapa wrote:what is the heart???

You noticed!

For metta, love, karuna, and all the other good traits that come with generosity / dana.

:heart:
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby BlackBird » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:38 am

Great idea, I tried it out a while back in the lounge and didn't get much of a response - so it's great to see it's taken off.

http://www.thaistudentcharity.org/ - Great charity helping poor Thai students get ahead with their studies, rather than a life in the paddy fields - Run by former Monk and Author Peter Robinson.
http://www.buddhanet.net/ - Always good to help promote the Dhamma.
and http://www.liberationprisonproject.org/ - They're a great cause, helping to teach and reach out to those who deserve a 2nd chance.

Sorry if any are a repost I skim read the thread.

Have a good day :)
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:29 am

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Give blood today

Postby Jechbi » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:10 pm

Please give blood. Your act could save a life. Not only that, but it's good for your personal physical health. And not only that, but if you're fearful or squeamish, it is a wonderful opportunity to practice moment-to-moment awareness and directly engage your unpleasant feelings in a safe, medically supervised environment. Think practice.

Not only that, but it's free. You don't have to pay for this mini-retreat.

No more excuses!

Jechbi

Re: Give blood today

Postby Ben » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:05 am

Well said Jechbi!

Jechbi wrote:Please give blood. Your act could save a life. Not only that, but it's good for your personal physical health. And not only that, but if you're fearful or squeamish, it is a wonderful opportunity to practice moment-to-moment awareness and directly engage your unpleasant feelings in a safe, medically supervised environment. Think practice.

Not only that, but it's free. You don't have to pay for this mini-retreat.

No more excuses!

I'd also like to add its an incredibly beneficial form of dana you can perform in our secular societies.
Metta

Ben

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Postby Tex » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:19 pm

Not a Buddhist charity, but a great one is the V Foundation For Cancer Research.

http://www.jimmyv.org/

[Perhaps we could sponsor a different charity each year (or month, or quarter, whatever) and collect a donation on behalf of the whole Dhammawheel community?]
"The serene and peaceful mind is the true epitome of human achievement."-- Ajahn Chah, Living Dhamma

"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi
Tex

Postby Ben » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:08 am

Greetings everyone

As some of you may know, in the past I have participated in fundraising events for medical research. Some of my past efforts have been in the "Murray to Moyne 520km in 24hr bicycle relay" for a number of years where I assisted to raise awareness of and raise funds for Geriatric Psychiatry, the Victorian State Hyberbaric Medicine Unit and raise money for the Alfred/Monash Psychiatric Research Unit. A motivating factor for my participation in fundraising for medical charities is that service to others is an important factor in my practice.

I am participating in "Movember" this year in a bid to assist with raising money for men's health issues. In Australia, the fundraising focus will be the Prostate Cancer Council and 'Beyond Blue', the Australian Government anti-depression initiative. As Movember is now an international fundraising event, there may be a slightly different focus for participating countries.
Information on Movember (International website): http://www.movember.com/ (Australian website): http://au.movember.com/
Australian donation page: http://au.movember.com/donate/

And if you would like to sponsor me:
https://www.movember.com/au/donate/your ... _id/28815/

Movember is an annual, month-long celebration of the moustache, highlighting men’s health issues, specifically prostate cancer and depression in men.

Mo Bros, supported by their Mo Sistas, start Movember (November 1st) clean shaven and then have the remainder of the month to grow and groom their moustache. During Movember, each Mo Bro effectively becomes a walking billboard for men’s health and, via their Mo, raises essential funds and awareness for Movember’s men’s health partners – The Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia and beyondblue – the national depression initiative. At the end of Movember, a series of Gala Partés are held to thank Mo Bros and Sistas for their support and fund raising efforts.

The idea for Movember came about in 2003 when a few mates were having a beer in a small bar in Fitzroy, Melbourne. Inspired by the women’s health movement, it was recognized that men were lacking a way to engage and actively involve themselves in their own health. During a conversation about fashion and past trends, the idea came up to bring the moustache back for one month, and in doing so, have some fun, raise a small amount of money and hopefully encourage men to talk about their health with each other.

Since this time, Movember has continued to grow each year, both in terms of participation numbers and funds raised. In its first year, 30 Mo Bros took part in Movember and last year, in Australia alone, 125,000 Mo Bro & Sistas got on board, raising more than $8million for each of Movember’s men’s health partners.

Today, in its sixth consecutive year, Movember takes place around the world. Motivated by what was happening in Australia, a further five countries now embrace the Mo each November - New Zealand, US, Canada, UK and Ireland are all helping Movember to achieve its ultimate goal – to change the face of men’s health globally.

To date, Movember has raised AUS$60 million globally for the fight against prostate cancer and depression in men. And, more importantly, as a direct result, male awareness of health issues has improved with Movember helping to spread health messages directly to millions of Mo Bros & Sistas around the world.

Going forward, Movember will continue to work towards helping to change established habits and attitudes and make men aware of the risks they face, thereby increasing early detection, diagnosis and effective treatment.

For further information, visit The Movember Foundation.

please feel free to either sponsor me or donate directly to the Australian (or your host country's) movember efforts - if you have the volition to do so.
metta

Ben

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Postby notself » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:33 am

For those of you who wish to participate in the making of micro-loans there is Kiva.

http://www.kiva.org/
Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he is indeed the noblest victor who conquers himself. ---Dhp 103
notself

Postby notself » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:57 am

By the way, if anyone chooses to support KIVA by making a loan, be sure to sign up for Team Theravada. The Atheist, Agnostics, Skeptics...Team just loaned over $1,000,000 to individuals all over the world. What is really neat is the money is repaid to be loaned again.

Here is a link to the Buddhist teams.
http://www.kiva.org/community/explore?p ... tegory=all

There are only 5 members on the Theravada Team. We need to add to that. :thumbsup:
Last edited by notself on Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he is indeed the noblest victor who conquers himself. ---Dhp 103
notself

Next

Return to Announcements