Looking for hardcopy books

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries
JeffR

Looking for hardcopy books

Post by JeffR »

I just finished a 10 day solo retreat deepening my Vipassana meditation practice. I'm looking to increase my understanding of Abhidhamma and my teacher has recommended a couple books by Nina Van Gorkom:
Cetasikas
and
Abhidhamma in Daily Life.

I have found both books online, but have not been able to find a place to purchase the hard copy books. I prefer to do my reading curled up with a book on the couch as opposed to sitting in front of a computer screen. Does anyone know a source where I can find these books?

Thanks,
Jeff
Therein what are 'six (types of) disrespect'? One dwells without respect, without deference for the Teacher; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Teaching; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Order; one dwells without respect, without deference for the precepts; one dwells without respect, without deference for heedfulness; one dwells without respect, without deference for hospitality. These are six (types of) disrespect.
:Vibh 945
retrofuturist

Re: Looking for hardcopy books

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Jeff,

I'm not sure on current availability, but once upon a time I picked up the second of those books through http://www.budaedu.org/en/book/

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
culaavuso

Post by culaavuso »

Abhidhamma in Daily Life appears to be available for $100 used on Amazon.

Cetasikas appears to be available from Wisdom Books for £21.60.

Another possibility to consider is that you might be able to take an online PDF copy of the book and have it printed (and maybe even bound) for less than the cost of an online purchase and shipping.
pt1

Post by pt1 »

JeffR wrote:I just finished a 10 day solo retreat deepening my Vipassana meditation practice. I'm looking to increase my understanding of Abhidhamma and my teacher has recommended a couple books by Nina Van Gorkom:
Cetasikas
and
Abhidhamma in Daily Life.

I have found both books online, but have not been able to find a place to purchase the hard copy books. I prefer to do my reading curled up with a book on the couch as opposed to sitting in front of a computer screen. Does anyone know a source where I can find these books?

Thanks,
Jeff
My impression was that Nina's books are usually given away for free - occasionally a foundation in Thailand would print a limited run and then give away the books to those interested who would then pass them on to their friends etc... You can try posting your question on a Yahoo group where Nina and her friends post, usually someone there has a few hardcopies ready to pass on to anyone that's interested:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dha ... =1&m=e&l=1

Best wishes
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

That's good advice. I recall Nina offering to send me a copy of one of her books there. However, since I had already printed and bound it (inexpensive comb binding) I gratefully decline.

:anjali:
Mike